A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you know if you're compressor is on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Yes, as mentioned in the first post, it does lose comfort and automatic if in dynamic.
Sorry, I missed. When mine did that, it was due to overheating. I did NOT get a yellow suspension light, but there was an overtemp fault listed when scanning it. There is no replacement for the temp sensor that I know of. I bypassed it with a resistor, but the compressor only lasted a little while longer before self destructing. My running pressure also tends to be 15 - 16 bar.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tjf
Sorry, I missed. When mine did that, it was due to overheating. I did NOT get a yellow suspension light, but there was an overtemp fault listed when scanning it. There is no replacement for the temp sensor that I know of. I bypassed it with a resistor, but the compressor only lasted a little while longer before self destructing. My running pressure also tends to be 15 - 16 bar.
Yeah, when I put mine in lift mode, the compressor output only reaches 9 bar. If the compressor is underperforming, that may explain it occasionally overheating.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjf
Question. When you say your running pressure was 15-16 BAR is that when compressor was on or after the relay had turned off? I am trying to get data on what the pressure reads after compressor relay is off. Thanks,
Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cu52
Question. When you say your running pressure was 15-16 BAR is that when compressor was on or after the relay had turned off? I am trying to get data on what the pressure reads after compressor relay is off. Thanks,
That was when it turned off. The max system pressure is 16 bar.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tjf
That was when it turned off. The max system pressure is 16 bar.
Crap then I have some sort of issue, probably the Valve block. When system is on i get up to 16 BAR, then as soon as the relay turns off the compressor since pressure was reached, pressure immediate drops. Images below show on, then 1 second later after it turns off. So just to confirm yours

Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you know the conditions of all components when you turn off the pump manually? Even with the car ignition is off, when you sit on one side, when you get up, the valve block raises the car back up. Try that and see if you're valve block is working. The pump didn't have to work at all.
Like I said, it's a controlled system, you can't manually turn off/on things and guess from the results, all you can do is to screw up the control system. Now you turned it off manually, what do you think the control system will do with your 2.60 bar. If it get confused, then all hell break loose.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 01-15-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Do you know the conditions of all components when you turn off the pump manually? Even with the car ignition is off, when you sit on one side, when you get up, the valve block raises the car back up. Try that and see if you're valve block is working. The pump didn't have to work at all.
Like I said, it's a controlled system, you can't manually turn off/on things and guess from the results, all you can do is to screw up the control system. Now you turned it off manually, what do you think the control system will do with your 2.60 bar. If it get confused, then all hell break loose.
Cheers,
Louis
Maybe I did not clearly state my question. My valve block works and distributes air to all four corners and appears to the accumulator also. Sit on passenger side it raises, move it lowers etc.

What the first image is showing is the system pumping up after a recent start (driving over 25 MPH) to reach a full 16 BAR. Immediatly after it turned off the relay i did the next screen shot. Once the system was satisfied the relay turns off the compressor and then shows a holding pressure of 2.60 (ranges between 1.xx and 3.xx). I am not manually turning anything off, as that cannot be done while driving that I know of, or why anyone would want to.

What I am looking for is for someone to show me what their group 006 looks like when the system is ON, and happy? Does it show 16 BAR or similar to mine. Maybe I don't have an issue at all. I just cannot get anyone to share a screen shot of what their system shows for some reason.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Where does the "bar" pressure measured from? Where is this pressure gauge? If it's at the pump, then it's logical. Unless VCDS tells you where exactly it measured then jumping to conclusion to replace the valve block is still guessing.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Where does the "bar" pressure measured from? Where is this pressure gauge? If it's at the pump, then it's logical. Unless VCDS tells you where exactly it measured then jumping to conclusion to replace the valve block is still guessing.
That is exactly why i am asking someone else to capture similar data for me to compare, as it is not mentioned anywhere in the self study guide where the pressure is measured, but logic since there does not appear to be any electronics at the accumulator, the pressure is likely measured at the valve block. Any chance you can do a screen grab to show me your vehicles data? That will help me know if I have an issue.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

There is only one pressure sender for the whole system and it’s encapsulated inside the valve block. This is clearly shown on the schematic diagram on p18 of SSP 292. The sender (G291) is located in the air supply/exhaust line.

D3 Air Suspension Schematic

If you are seeing 16 Bar when the compressor is running, then there is nothing wrong with your compressor. It’s working to spec (<8 Bar seems to be when codes become more regular, eg overtemp, implausible pressure signal, low ride height etc). When the compressor shuts off, the pressure in the supply/exhaust line will naturally bleed off via the non-return valve and exhaust solenoids located within the compressor assembly. At that time the sensor is only measuring the pressure in the supply/exhaust line from the compressor, nothing else. This residual pressure reading is pretty much irrelevant and has no bearing at all on system performance.

If the system needs to read a strut or the accumulator pressure, it commands the appropriate valve block solenoid to open, and then it’s able to “see” the pressure that comes through to it from that component. It can only measure one component’s pressure at a time.

Don’t overthink it. It’s a clever system, but it’s not complicated and it’s totally logical. You just need to really spend time studying SSP 292 as all the answers you need are right there, or can be deduced from it.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 01-16-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Quick Reply: How do you know if you're compressor is on its way out?