A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Remove The Trunk Lock/Release?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How Do You Remove The Trunk Lock/Release?

Just as the title says, I'm looking for some help with how to remove the trunk release assembly. I have this stupid thing about 95% of the way out, but it seems to be caught up on something connected to the lock. Problem is, even with cramming my camera up there and taking pictures, I can't seem to figure out what!

Has any removed this entire assembly? What am I missing? Thank you in advance!

Edit: figured it out.

Last edited by MainelyA8; 01-19-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Make sure you properly connect BOTH cables to the latch assembly when reinstalling. Test the manual key release, inside trunk release **** and electric release (key fob, door or trunk lid switches several times before actually locking the trunk.

Most important is the cable from the manual lock cylinder.

I just replaced my latch the other day as the cold caused it to fail and I don't want to ever deal with it again.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Make sure you properly connect BOTH cables to the latch assembly when reinstalling. Test the manual key release, inside trunk release **** and electric release (key fob, door or trunk lid switches several times before actually locking the trunk.

Most important is the cable from the manual lock cylinder.

I just replaced my latch the other day as the cold caused it to fail and I don't want to ever deal with it again.
Aside from cleaning some gunk out and re-lubricating, I left the latch assembly alone. I had to remove the assembly containing the lock, trunk release switch, and license plate bulbs. I did have to disconnect the cable to the lock from the latch, which looks like it's going to be a HUGE pain to reconnect. I need to find someone with baby hands to reach up there and get everything buttoned back up!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
Aside from cleaning some gunk out and re-lubricating, I left the latch assembly alone. I had to remove the assembly containing the lock, trunk release switch, and license plate bulbs. I did have to disconnect the cable to the lock from the latch, which looks like it's going to be a HUGE pain to reconnect. I need to find someone with baby hands to reach up there and get everything buttoned back up!
Remove the latch (two 10mm bolts), slide it down and reattach the cable. Simple.

If you don't see the two bolts, that's because you didn't slide off the black plastic cover from the latch.

This is a classic example of why everyone that does repairs should invest in the service manual for this, and any car they own.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-20-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Remove the latch (two 10mm bolts), slide it down and reattach the cable. Simple.

If you don't see the two bolts, that's because you didn't slide off the black plastic cover from the latch.

This is a classic example of why everyone that does repairs should invest in the service manual for this, and any car they own.
I think my latch had been replaced at some point, which is nice. It didn't look anything like the ones in the videos I've seen that have failed, and were being replaced.

Good point about the manual! I added the Bentley manual to my Amazon cart, but I'm hoping to find a physical copy, if such a thing exists. I don't have Windows XP, and my computer doesn't support it.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's a side by side photo of the original latch (left) and the new one on the right for my '04. I just got it last week and replaced it.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh yeah, I definitely have the newer one. Looks a lot sturdier than the one on the left.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would anyone benefit from a writeup for how to remove the trunk lock/release assembly?
Old 01-21-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search and you will find several prior writeups.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
Do a search and you will find several prior writeups.
Can you point me in the direction of one? I did search, and I only found write-ups for replacing the trunk motor, and the latch.

Quick Reply: How Do You Remove The Trunk Lock/Release?