A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you very much, right back at ya.....

recovery from the cath has gone well (my 6th in 3 years, ouch). nothing was bad enough to stent, so I get away for a couple more years.

hope you're feeling up to par, and Randy too.

and Mr. Greenie, bmw's twin snail engine hauls!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Me three-funny how if it happens to one person it happens to many.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont go there Schell! LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

DO IT....
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New forum member and first time Audi owner. Purchased a 2004 Audi A8L and the first full day we had it, it breaks down at the gas station. Went to fill it up, realized I had parked on the wrong side of the pump, got back in, turned the key to the "on" position and nothing. I didn't get any CEL or chimes, nothing. Tried it a few more times and same thing. Nothing at all.

Had the dealer from where I purchased come to me, he brought just the basic scanner tool, reset the codes and it started. Took it up to the local import shop and they say it's the ignition switch. Saw Rdieter's post about the TSB and was wondering if I should not do the ignition switch and just take it to the Audi dealer and have them do the update first? Also, is this something that Audi has to take care of free of charge being a TSB or not?

I don't know anything about Audi's, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Key?

Originally Posted by AtlasGrayA8
New forum member and first time Audi owner. Purchased a 2004 Audi A8L and the first full day we had it, it breaks down at the gas station. Went to fill it up, realized I had parked on the wrong side of the pump, got back in, turned the key to the "on" position and nothing. I didn't get any CEL or chimes, nothing. Tried it a few more times and same thing. Nothing at all.

Had the dealer from where I purchased come to me, he brought just the basic scanner tool, reset the codes and it started. Took it up to the local import shop and they say it's the ignition switch. Saw Rdieter's post about the TSB and was wondering if I should not do the ignition switch and just take it to the Audi dealer and have them do the update first? Also, is this something that Audi has to take care of free of charge being a TSB or not?

I don't know anything about Audi's, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Did you get a "Smart key" with the car? This is all I carry. Unlocks doors when nearby and allows push button start when in the car.
The car forgets the remote sometimes. Just start with key and it will reprogram. Takes an hour or two.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlasGrayA8

Wow, way to revive a thread! 2008 FTW! Way to use the search! I think everybody in this thread is gone except Mister Bally...
Mine does this too. Kind of unnerving the first few times. Every 20-30 starts, she reminds me to be glad the times she does start!

Welcome Atlas!

-Tom
Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My 2004 A8L is having the same issue the past few months. Today was the first time the car would not start at all after a few tries. The MMI pops up and the ac will go on so I don't think it's a battery issue. I can kind of hear the car turning over very faintly but not as loud as normal.

Usually when it has happened in the past it would start with the second or third try.

Paul
Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Paul7272
My 2004 A8L is having the same issue the past few months. Today was the first time the car would not start at all after a few tries. The MMI pops up and the ac will go on so I don't think it's a battery issue. I can kind of hear the car turning over very faintly but not as loud as normal.

Usually when it has happened in the past it would start with the second or third try.

Paul
I believe it's a software issue. Mine does it, I just live with it for now.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. I am having another key dropped off to me to see if that will work. Previously it has always started after the first time, but today it didn't start even with like 10 tries.

If it doesn't start in a bit not sure what to do?

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem?