A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Introducing SuperSprint's S8 cat-back system

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introducing SuperSprint's S8 cat-back system

CampioniShop is SuperSprint's newly appointed distributor in North America for Porsche, MB AMG, Audi S/RS applications. We want these systems on cars ASAP and offer extremely aggressive pricing.

About us:

CampioniShop is a project that started out in 2006 and finally matured into the company it is today. It took 4 long years of technology development to finally achieve the user-friendly website that is CampioniShop today. Our main objectives are to offer the most user-friendly shopping experience in the European Luxury Automotive parts industry, a wide and exclusive selection of quality products and customer service tailored to your needs. We have a long standing reputation in various Porsche and BMW forums for utmost service.

The initial foundation to CampioniShop is RemusExhaustShop/RemusExhaustStore. Launched in 2006, RemusExhaustShop quickly grew into the best REMUS USA retailer. While the company is still a financial success today, the initial founders were not happy with the technology, nor the user friendlyness of the website and quickly got to work into developping CampioniShop on a new and improved structure. In constant evolution, CampioniShop will offer improved online shopping methods, increase its marketing effort across various social networks and forums, and develop its product offering to tailor your car customization.
About Supersprint:

The engineers at Supersprint realize that for maximum performance, exhaust development must begin at the exhaust ports of the cylinder head. This is why Supersprint has the largest variety of racing header systems in the world today. Each header incorporates CNC laser cut port matched flanges. Primary tubes are mandrel bent using the latest CNC tube bending equipment. With special tooling Supersprint has been able to keep weld joints to a minimum for added reliability.

The fully appointed R&D department uses the latest in prototyping equipment along with the reliability and accuracy of a MAHA "all wheel drive" chassis dyno. With over 50 years in performance exhaust development they have earned the confidence of many of Europe's most respected tuners. Most units are 100% stainless steel.

Mandrel bent
Full systems available
Dyno tested
CNC machined
304 stainless steel
Hand welded joints
Unlimited mileage warranty
Made in italy
The cat-back is oversized at 2x65mm and includes:
Front pipes L/R
Centre race X pipe
Sport mufflers 4x100mm

Price: 3580 + S/H

Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome and good luck on the sale...

As someone in the industry, it drives me nuts to see how companies price parts ridiculously high just because they fit an expensive car. If the exhaust is what's pictured we could build and sell that all day long for under $1000 and make good money doing it.

Obviously no fault of you guys. I know you're just reselling... But still. There's nothing there that says "I'm worth $3500" unless the mufflers are lined in platinum.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Pass
Doubtful there is $3500 worth of performance improvement
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

So much for "aggressive" pricing. I'll take the Milltek at half the price.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

As someone in the industry, you should know there is a LOT more to pricing than material costs - a lot more when you take into consideration these are hand made in Italy. Higher wages, actual R&D, limited market, euro fluctuations, raw material costs, importation costs, distribution costs, etc. SuperSprint is one of the world's biggest exhaust manufacturer alongside Remus and Eisenmann, and it shows in their highest level of craftsmanship.

Any custom exhaust shop could try and duplicate these and have it outsourced in China, it happens everyday. We prefer to stick with the true and original.

The Milltek system is priced in the upper 2,000$ range, we're far off half the price.

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Welcome and good luck on the sale...

As someone in the industry, it drives me nuts to see how companies price parts ridiculously high just because they fit an expensive car. If the exhaust is what's pictured we could build and sell that all day long for under $1000 and make good money doing it.

Obviously no fault of you guys. I know you're just reselling... But still. There's nothing there that says "I'm worth $3500" unless the mufflers are lined in platinum.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CampioniShop
As someone in the industry, you should know there is a LOT more to pricing than material costs - a lot more when you take into consideration these are hand made in Italy. Higher wages, actual R&D, limited market, euro fluctuations, raw material costs, importation costs, distribution costs, etc. SuperSprint is one of the world's biggest exhaust manufacturer alongside Remus and Eisenmann, and it shows in their highest level of craftsmanship.

Any custom exhaust shop could try and duplicate these and have it outsourced in China, it happens everyday. We prefer to stick with the true and original.

The Milltek system is priced in the upper 2,000$ range, we're far off half the price.
With all due respect, you're dealing with a catback exhaust system, not exactly something that shows any tangible benefit from being "made in Italy". The biggest expense here is in the materials and the mufflers and the welds either seal or they don't. A hand laid, Italian TIG weld isn't any better than my American laid TIG weld. I could build an identical system (albeit different mufflers), hand made by cornfed US employees, sell it for $1000 and make good money doing so. If I thought there was a real market I might do it too.

If the exchange rate, economies of scale and importing are responsible for the high cost than so be it but US based companies sell the same stuff for the same high prices. There's an exotic car tax that you pay when you modify your car. It was painfully prevalent with my M5. People were paying over $1000 for the most basic modifications.

Again, I wasn't digging at you. You're a reseller. You have limited ability to control price but let's not be silly. This isn't tuning or engine building. This is a catback exhaust and it doesn't take rocket science to design nor does it possess the materials that call for such a price. My comment was merely an observation on the unnecessarily high prices for exotic car parts, not a dig on your or your company.

Last edited by Mike_k; 01-14-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Why no rear valves? ...Torque subtract?

S8's (and W12's) have valved rear final mufflers. Smaller diameter open outlet, larger diameter valved outlet. Without a valve, I expect torque to be down marginally with lower back pressures at low RPM's on a normally aspirated motor like either the D3 S8 or the W12. And since the car is set up with the valve and electronics, it can still open up for the greater flow at high RPM's.

Am I missing something, or is this more a nod to the boy racer sound?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_k
With all due respect, you're dealing with a catback exhaust system, not exactly something that shows any tangible benefit from being "made in Italy". The biggest expense here is in the materials and the mufflers and the welds either seal or they don't. A hand laid, Italian TIG weld isn't any better than my American laid TIG weld. I could build an identical system (albeit different mufflers), hand made by cornfed US employees, sell it for $1000 and make good money doing so. If I thought there was a real market I might do it too.

If the exchange rate, economies of scale and importing are responsible for the high cost than so be it but US based companies sell the same stuff for the same high prices. There's an exotic car tax that you pay when you modify your car. It was painfully prevalent with my M5. People were paying over $1000 for the most basic modifications.

Again, I wasn't digging at you. You're a reseller. You have limited ability to control price but let's not be silly. This isn't tuning or engine building. This is a catback exhaust and it doesn't take rocket science to design nor does it possess the materials that call for such a price. My comment was merely an observation on the unnecessarily high prices for exotic car parts, not a dig on your or your company.
I agree with Mike_k and I would like to add that the Millteks are handmade in Europe as well so that isn't it the reason for the money grab.. It really does come down to the number of units they could possibly sell. There were only, what, 1000 D3 S8's sent to the US from 2007-2009?understand why they want to get what they can to recoup their development costs. I just find it amusing that the three aftermarket cat back I am aware of range from $2500 for the Milltek non-resonated to $5500 or so for the MTM. Gotta pay to play.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaspasser19
I agree with Mike_k and I would like to add that the Millteks are handmade in Europe as well so that isn't it the reason for the money grab.. It really does come down to the number of units they could possibly sell. There were only, what, 1000 D3 S8's sent to the US from 2007-2009?understand why they want to get what they can to recoup their development costs. I just find it amusing that the three aftermarket cat back I am aware of range from $2500 for the Milltek non-resonated to $5500 or so for the MTM. Gotta pay to play.
USA S8 (1749);
2007 - 1144 Units imported
2008 - 396 Units imported
2009 - 209 Units imported

All the stock exhaust is missing is the x-pipe, here's one for $1500, but a muffler shop could perhaps fabricate a similar one for less;
http://www.gmgracing.com/audi_exhaust_gmg_wcs8.shtml
Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
S8's (and W12's) have valved rear final mufflers. Smaller diameter open outlet, larger diameter valved outlet. Without a valve, I expect torque to be down marginally with lower back pressures at low RPM's on a normally aspirated motor like either the D3 S8 or the W12. And since the car is set up with the valve and electronics, it can still open up for the greater flow at high RPM's.

Am I missing something, or is this more a nod to the boy racer sound?
I've pinned the valves open and don't notice any drop in torque, but it does gives it a better sound.

Last edited by EHLO; 01-14-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Introducing SuperSprint's S8 cat-back system