A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just completed vag lowering using Der Kimbo's post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just completed vag lowering using Der Kimbo's post!

If there was one thing at the outset that the A8 needed fixed, it was that 4x4 look to it. Even in dynamic mode, it was still jacked up high off the ground.

So I decided to Vag lower it, before trying anything else. For one, its free. Two, it seemed easy enough. Three, my good friend lawong loaned me his vag cable.

So I downloaded the Ross-Tech software onto my MacBook Pro Windows side of things and went to town.

Of note.. I had one adaptation go awry because Vag com just crashed mid adaptation. Needless to say my car went into limp suspension and the headlights gave a warning that it could not level. Luckily I just went right back into the adapation and redid it and it worked fine.

I'm just going to paraphrase Der Kimbo's excellent writeup with some tips of my own.

So I first parked the car in the garage on level ground. Turned the ignition on and inserted the Vag cable into the obd2 scan port under the driver's left side knee cover area. I made sure to connect the cable to the car first, then snake the cable out of the driver's side window where my laptop was. I then connected the cable to the laptop.

Started up Ross-Tech's Vag Com software, selected the select control module buton. Then I clicked on the chassis tab at the top row of tabs. In this menu, I selected controller 34 - Level Control. The stock code read like this:

the only numbers that matter are the two fives. Each integral drop in number corresponds to a 5mm drop. For example, I wanted a 20mm front and 15mm rear drop so I entered:

After entering and saving I closed the Vag com - removed the vag cable and turned off ignition. I restarted the car (engine turned on) and reconnected the cable to the obd2 port.

I then went back to controller 54 - level control. Over on the right side of buttons on the Vag-Com panel, there's a button called security access - which I clicked. I then entered the number 31564. <b>Important: Once you enter this, you need to complete the adaptation from beginning to end or else the car will not adapt to your new settings and it will go into a limp mode for the suspension.</b>

After entering the security code, I went to teh adaptation button. There are five channels:

01 Front Driver
02 Front Passenger
03 Rear Driver
04 Rear Passenger
05 Save

First select 01. Press return. The car will then lower and raise its suspension. After its complete and the vag-com status windows says okay to enter - go to the test value window on the left side of the test button. Measure the center axle to the bottom of the fender lip - make sure to measure in millimeters. Enter this value in the test value window and press enter. Then click on save. Do this same thing for channels 02, 03, and 04. When you are done, go to channel 05 and enter 1. This saves the adaptation. Exit out of the Vag-Com.

Now get into the car and then drive back 15-20 feet and drive forward back to teh same spot you were before. Repeat the adaptation and you should notice that the values in the read section should be fairly close to what you measure. If not, continue to adapt until its right.

I have to measure again, but my car went down about 20mm in the front and 15mm in the back like I wanted to... but I'm still adapting. I'll do it again tomorrow to make sure its right.

Thanks to Der Kimbo for a great writeup and to lawong for his vag cable.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: Just completed vag lowering using Der Kimbo's post!

Congrats! Amazing what these cars can do with a diagnostic interface and software. The only thing I have done with VAG so far besides reading fault codes and making repairs is resetting the service indicator.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are there other VAG tricks I've not yet dicovered?

I'm curious as to how to get the windows down with just the keys.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, Der Kimbo's instructions were great, I don't have pics of my drop yet, how about you?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seatbelt and door chime? Don't know about the windows though.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Still working on it. I was excited to do the drop that I completely forgot to charge

the camera. I'll see if I can snap some pictures later. My only question was if I drop the 0011210 to 0010110... would that lower me 25mm and 20mm F/R? I'm afraid to try.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto, I'd be curious to see if any D3'rs have been succesful w/VAG window coding
Old 01-21-2007, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got 20/15 stick with it...After lowering a few dozen of them, none would go lower in the rear
Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It works
Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there a difference with or with out the sport, in how low it can go?

Quick Reply: Just completed vag lowering using Der Kimbo's post!