A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Lighting, the OEM+ way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Lighting, the OEM+ way.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful as most of you have or want to replace your puddle lights with LEDs. Having owned a VW GTI for the past 6 years I easily notice parts between Audi and VW that are exactly the same just used differently. The trunk light in my GTI was very dim so I replaced it with an R8 trunk light. Looking at the puddle lights last week I noticed these lights are exactly the same size as the stock Audi lights and they are the same style that I just replaced in the GTI. The LED housings do fit a little more tight, but they do fit!

So here it is... OEM Audi LED lights for the puddle lights and trunk(lid only).

Final product in the GTI:

Picture of the LED assembly on ECS tuning:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/8J0_..._A/ES2225952/#

There are 2 ways to do this mod. One is to cut off the existing connector, or purchase an adapter plug to connect to the stock connector and solder the two repair wires together. So from the car harness you would connect parts in this order :> Stock Harness -> Adapter Plug -> Repair wire for plug soldered to repair wire for led housing plug -> LED Housing. (Reference the picture above again)

The below is for one complete light

1 x 8J0 947 409 A High intensity LED light.
1 x 4B0 971 832 Two pin plug for LED light housing.
1 x 000 979 009 Repair wire for LED light housing.
1 x 4B0 971 992 Adapter plug to join with existing Luggage Compartment Light connector.
1 x 000 979 134 Repair wire for adapter plug (if you choose to use an adapter rather than cut existing harness).

Parts can be purchased at http://www.1stvwparts.com/. They almost always have cheaper prices on OEM parts. These are all VW part numbers so they should have no issue getting these parts for you. ECS Tuning sells all the parts too but they are usually more expensive with OEM parts.

I believe these pin-outs are the same for the A8(colors should be the same as all dimmer wires are the same in all models)
Pin 1 of LED to Pin 1 of Luggage Compartment Light Harness (brown/blue wire)
Pin 2 of LED to Pin 2 of Luggage Compartment Light Harness (red/blue wire)

++++WARNING - Please ensure that LED shines white light when connected++++

If you reverse the polarity of the LED connections the light will glow red instead of white. This is not a malfunction of the LED, as the light is also used as a red warning light on the doors of some Audis.

However, it is NOT designed to have a constant 12V feed when it glows red.

If you run the luggage compartment light 12V feed through it in "red mode" you WILL overheat the LED housing and it WILL melt as it will run extremely HOT.

Good luck and happy modding