A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at my 3rd A8, W12 this time

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Looking at my 3rd A8, W12 this time

While I havent taken the 300 mile drive to go check the car out yet I have a few questions on the W12 version. Main one is if its belt or chain driven? Its a 2007 BTW. Also I see it has rear seat video and was wondering where the DVD player sits for them? Also did they have adaptive cruise available and would it have the extra switch on the cruise stalk like my D4 had? Another thing I thought interesting is in one pic they show the rear side shades partially up. Are they power in the W12 like the D4s have? My 08 A8L they were manual.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LaserSVT
While I havent taken the 300 mile drive to go check the car out yet I have a few questions on the W12 version. Main one is if its belt or chain driven? Its a 2007 BTW. Also I see it has rear seat video and was wondering where the DVD player sits for them? Also did they have adaptive cruise available and would it have the extra switch on the cruise stalk like my D4 had? Another thing I thought interesting is in one pic they show the rear side shades partially up. Are they power in the W12 like the D4s have? My 08 A8L they were manual.
The motors are chain driven on all models.
The rear seat video is DVD based and the 6 disc changer is in the left rear compartment in the trunk by the Nav DVD. Also the DVD does not play with burned DVDs sometimes.
All my adaptive cruise function is on a single stalk under the turn signal stalk
Yes, the two rear door and the rear window are all power on a W12.

Good luck. There are a hand full of W12 owners here that can answer any questions.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Echo'ing other reply, w/ a few nuances. Yes, D3 W12 is chain. But in particular, what it is NOT is FSI/direct injection. Thus, zero reports of valve fouling that I have ever seen.

Yes, adaptive is very similar from D3 to D4--switching, function, etc. D4 got two sensors, but from experience D3 W12 and D4 S8 both basically function the same. With D3 you then get to keep the true fog lights in the position the D4 uses for adaptive sensors. If it has adaptive, that also gets you the wide color display in the center of the instruments, which makes it feel closer again to a D4 rather than either a lower line A4 or A6 feel.

Yes, rear shades are power on side windows for W12 and thus similar to D4. W12 should also have acoustic glass, which would make it quieter than your 4.2 D3 even though a lot faster and torquier.

Subtle on 2007 compared to 2006 even for W12, but you then get the later wing adjustable type headrests. Closer to D4 again. Folks seems to think they are more comfortable than older ones, especially in back. They also block the rear window a bit less. D3 also got back up camera in 2007, which would seem like a step backward otherwise from D4 or your 2008.

Depending on when it was built as a 2007, it might have AMI--late intro. Could have been retrofit too.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default yes, a chain but...

the good news is the timing chain system is somehow different from the system the 3.2 A6s and 4.2 A8s had; which is to say not susseptable to the tensioner block problems, as I understand things.

What colors ? 4 seater or 5 ? Fridge ? I got my W12 a year ago after looking for a year. Mine was also from Texas, at the Ft Worth/Dallas Manheim auction. In 18K miles (102K total) I have had no W12-only related issues.

Last edited by awdinut; 04-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its a 5 seater. Black exterior with the saddle interior. I dont know if it has the fridge. I called the dealer to see if it had the AMI, make sure the rear remote was still in the car and see if it has the fridge. Car does not have active cruise but seems to have everything else.

Did only the W12 models have that LED daytime/brights headlamps? I wish the car was an 08+ because I like those tail lights much more but its a clean car. I would get the rear LED lights if I could find a deal and also find if they cause any warning issues. Going through search on here and reading 5 different threads it seems like one guy had issues with warning lights, one guys didnt work right at all, one worked without issue and the other two never reported back if there were issues.

This is the only W12 car I have ever seen for sale and since it has the B&O system and I like its colors plus it only has 80k miles I really want it.

Thanks MP4.2+6.0 for the info on the windows. I was unaware of that.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My buddy has over 250k on his 05 W12. No engine work at all.
When you retrofit 08 tail lights you cut two wires to get rid of the warnings and then add another two wires if you want for dinner and outer lights blink together, otherwise it will blink just outers when using turn signals
Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you know which wires to cut?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

The D3 W12 was literally the first car in the world with factory LED DRL's. Now of course they can be found in many dime a dozen cars.

If it has five seats, it won't have the fridge I'm pretty sure. Having had the four seater and the fridge, I wouldn't do either again. On D4's almost impossible to find in five seats, and then Barcalounger option along with the four seats. At first I thought it was cool, and did work for our immediate four member family. But I got burned too many times where there was a friend along with the two older kids, or someone else in addition to a couple. It's a great luxury ride, and long term the 4 seats reduced its usefulness below Q5 rear seat. Fridge is a novelty, but not worth the way it butchers the generous trunk space in my book. Also doesn't really cool down except on longer drives.

Does it have full leather BTW? Back in D3 era it was an expensive add on option. Gets you the leather dash, leather door trim, alcantara headliner and all. Really plush. Spoiled me, and hence my D4 S8 has a similar "Exclusive" Interior (Vermont Brown) with the same super attention to detail and nice fininshes. Makes it special, and kept my D3 W12 feeling fresh even 12 years on (now in family)

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-04-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:21 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only W12 car I have ever seen for sale and since it has the B&O system and I like its colors plus it only has 80k miles I really want it.
Here's link you'll maybe find useful if you buy car with a B&O system...

https://www.audiusaparts.com/auto-pa...ber=4e0035382a
Old 04-05-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

It has the full leather.

Whats with the mad face? B&O system problematic?

Quick Reply: Looking at my 3rd A8, W12 this time