A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI SCREEN REPAIR?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI SCREEN REPAIR?

Hi all,
I'm having the infamous bad gears in the mmi issue in which it will not
Let it flip up completely, is there anyone out there who repairs these?
I see they have the gears for sale on ebay but dont really trust that, loo

Thanks
Please help.
Audi A8 D3
Old 07-24-2017, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by digimurda
Hi all,
I'm having the infamous bad gears in the mmi issue in which it will not
Let it flip up completely, is there anyone out there who repairs these?
I see they have the gears for sale on ebay but dont really trust that, loo

Thanks
Please help.
Audi A8 D3
Help is out there. The answer is yes.

It's a big enough job R&R'ing the display. Why then box it up and send to to who knows where when installing the gears just takes an hour or so the first time you do it?

The ones from Slovakia​​​​​​ worked great for me.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Help is out there. The answer is yes.

It's a big enough job R&R'ing the display. Why then box it up and send to to who knows where when installing the gears just takes an hour or so the first time you do it?

The ones from Slovakia​​​​​​ worked great for me.
Ok, and you got the ones from Slovakia on ebay?
And what you're saying isthat its not that hard of a job to diy?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

those Gears on e-bay are 10000 times better then the crappy original ones which are plastic, install depends on how fast careful and knowledgeable you are, took me about 3 hrs for the whole job
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AndreNY
those Gears on e-bay are 10000 times better then the crappy original ones which are plastic, install depends on how fast careful and knowledgeable you are, took me about 3 hrs for the whole job
Ok
I'm going to try this myself, what store did you use for the gears
Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on DIY, most of the work is taking the dash apart. I got brass gears on ebay, around $20-$25 IIRC. Just search on "brass MMI gears Audi" and you should find them, there may be a few different vendors selling them. Mine came from somewhere in eastern Europe, don't remember where, but putting these in instead of using the plastic gears from Audi makes it a "one and done" repair.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by 91quattro
+1 on DIY, most of the work is taking the dash apart. I got brass gears on ebay, around $20-$25 IIRC. Just search on "brass MMI gears Audi" and you should find them, there may be a few different vendors selling them. Mine came from somewhere in eastern Europe, don't remember where, but putting these in instead of using the plastic gears from Audi makes it a "one and done" repair.
+2. BTDT. Most every D3 owner will eventually face--or opt to leave it in extended position and disconnect motor wire. Dash disassembly is always fun (not), especially the oh so fragile metal belt trim piece. The screen mechanism is also stereotype German over engineered, so finicky to get it back together. But with instructions from back in the day (thanks misha!), can be done. Maybe a 5 or 6 on 9 point DIY degree of difficulty scale. If you are used to disassembling precision electromechanical devices, lower on scale.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One more question on this, is the issue with the screen what causes the radio to shut off and on every 2 seconds, and everytime it shuts off i hear a click coming from the rear of the car.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

One more question on this, is the issue with the screen what causes the radio to shut off and on every 2 seconds, and everytime it shuts off i hear a click coming from the rear of the car.
No.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

No +2. Sounds like maybe you have Pepsi Syndrome, these days known more as Starbucks Syndrome. Still not 100% clear on what you mean: it applies if your screen is also doing the up-down dance every few seconds. Spilled anything on buttons? Wife? Kids? Try cleaning around all MMI buttons. Look for bits of fast food, yesterday's or last month's threads, frayed detailing rag bits, and all other manner of little junk that gets in cracks. Edges of business cards or a plastic mens shirt collar stay are good cleaning tools.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-24-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: MMI SCREEN REPAIR?