A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI upgrade, Sirius, paint, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI upgrade, Sirius, paint, etc

As posted below, I had the MMI/NAV upgrade done along with the Sirius Satellite radio installation. The Sirius is seriously great. The sound quality became awesome AFTER I activated it. The preview channels sounded tinny UNTIL I activated it. Hmmmm.

Does anyone else notice that the MMI seems to handle sluggishly after the MMI upgrade? The cursor movement does not seem as sharp and the screen sometime have a momentary delay when changing modes like from Nav to Radio to Car, etc. No spontaneous reboots though yet!

Finally, I am having a problem with paint adhesion on the left front plastic trim piece that contains the Parktronic sensor. The dealer tells me that the repair is covered under warranty and that they have seen incidents of "loose" paint. I have to make an appointment to get it fixed. Just an FYI!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, Wowdi, I have noticed that the MMI is a bit "sluggish"

now that the upgrade and Sirius install has been completed. I wonder if just an upgrade w/o the sat. install would render the system back to its original speed. Maybe it has to do with the amt. of information it has to process now! Yea, right!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Open the pod bay doors HAL." ;-)
Old 11-13-2004, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The sluggishness exists after the upgrade, even without sat radio install.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default In NAV Menu, getting some menu choices takes forever...

I've had my car back to the dealer for this. At first I thought that I had lost the ability to store, edit or deleted any destinations. The menu choices were there, but "greyed out".

It seems that these menu choices do eventually come up. In my car, though it takes at least 20-30 seconds, and sometimes I need to restart my car to get to these menu choices to come up at all.

This is all since the MMI upgrade. Is anyone else noticing a very real sluggishness in the NAV menu selections since their upgrade??
Old 11-13-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So bottomline, has the upgrade been worth it?

Since I'm still out of town/country and haven't done the upgrade, it's been a bit concerning to see these comments about the upgraded MMI's performance. Obviously most of you are happy to have the Sat radio and this alone would tip the scale in favor of the upgrade, but how about the updated NAV? I haven't seen too many comments about how much more detailed the map database is.

I'm ambivalent about getting the Sat radio and I would like much more detailed map info, but at a cost of a slower MMI, I don't know. Currently my MMI hasn't had any problems and it's worked great for 14 months. Now I'm starting to wonder about doing the upgrade......
Old 11-13-2004, 10:02 AM

Default MMI upgrade - Screen Flips, Seat Ventilation & NAV/Radio

Yeah - as the screen "flips" between functions with the latest upgrade (e.g., radio to NAV), sometimes it is very "jerky," stopping at several "flattened frames" between both screens. With the original MMI system it was very smooth. However, after warmup, it seems to work smoother.

I have experienced quite a few lock-ups with the latest upgrade. With the original MMI (the one delivered with the car), lockups usually occurred as I was adjusting some control, such as in the NAV mode. With the latest MMI upgrade, however, lockups are self activated, apparently the MMI enjoying mocking me!

Just as a point of information, though, haven't we been through several MMI upgrades over the past few months, each one correcting the faults of the previous one?

The latest gremlin in my MMI-operating-system-of-the-month club is a driver's side seat ventilation that turns itself off after one minute, whether set directly through the A/C controls or through the Setup menu. (The passenger's side operates OK though!) Go figure!

Some day I hope that Audi adopts a more professional attitude (and MMI supplier?) and gets at least the obvious faults corrected.

Finally, has anyone noticed that radio/CD "dimming" during a NAV voice announcement is not consistent--sometimes the volume drops but most often not? Also, the speed-sensitive volume control does not seem to operate evenly on NAV voice announcements and the radio/CD? I.e., the NAV can remain very loud even though the radio/CD quiets down as you slow down.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:03 AM

Default I just had mine done....

And the delay is annoying for now but think it's something I'll become used to. I have not really seen any updates with the detailing of the map. Most of the areas I drive in do not have much change. However this won't be the only free disk. Audi usually will make updates avail. at no charge every few years.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plano, go for it! I wouldnt pass up an update

even if its a downdate!!! The MMI is fine!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL! Now there's a fuzzy endorsement

Quick Reply: MMI upgrade, Sirius, paint, etc