A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Lexus LS is a big disappointment... also some 750 complaints...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus LS is a big disappointment... also some 750 complaints...

Just returned from my local 2007 auto show ... was most interested in seeing the new LS460 and LS600h.

The bottom line is, it has 380HP and AWD, and will soon be a hybrid. In all other categories it is lackluster and really quite a lame entry into this category.

No leather stitched dash, and none planned.

No premium/alcantara/suede headliner, and none planned.

No ultra-adjustable driver seat (like in BMW m3 or mercedes S-class optional seats) and none planned. (not even side bolsters or a beefy lumbar .. nothing)

No massage seats unless you get the executive seating package, and that only gets you the right rear seat. (this is NOT a drivers car)

And of course ... wait for it ... the simple, cheap, no-brainer method of digital audio integration (USB and/or card slot) was, of course, eschewed for a semi or fully proprietary hard disk drive system blah blah blah. Kudos to Mercedes (and the Audi A3 designers) for getting this right, at least for one model generation.

So that's that. A blah exterior that I was willing to overlook contains an even more blah interior that does not even rise to meet the standards of the big three luxury marques circa 2004.

Lame.

Also, in other news ... how ridiculous is it that the BMW 750 has a fully exposed CD changer built into the wood trim facing the front passenger, along with a button to eject it ? Is this some kind of retro best-buy install center throwback styling cue ?

Was there some shortage in single slot fed multi disc changers ?

What is wrong with people ?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You got a lot of the facts wrong....

You got some of the facts wrong, the LS 460 is 380 hp and RWD, the Hybrid will be quite a bit more than 400hp with AWD. The Hybrid does have a leather dash, Alcantara is avail on the 460, front seats have all the adjustments of the germans, except for the seat back upper adjustment. The on board HDD, uses the GraceNote system, hardly proprietary.

Sorry, just had to set the record straight.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Of course, this is only YOUR opinion. I couldnt disagree more.

Whats WRONG with people? I dunno. You tell me. You seem to be looking under the rug for some reason to bash the the big Lexus. Its a beautifully crafted automobile whose reliability puts Audi to shame!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Facts are facts. You cannot get them wrong. His problem

is that his post had few of them!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oh, yeah, a couple of other things.....

The leather in Lexus is semi-aniline and comes from a single supplier and single herd. The steering wheel leather is hand buffed for 6 hours, all of the wood in the interior is made my Yamaha Piano, and paint is hand wet sanded, twice. I love the german cars, but you can't laugh off the time and effort put in to Lexus.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even on a Audi board you won't get much agreement.

the 600 is the only AWD hybrid. It is going to be 100k+ and be pretty damn quick. The hybrid technology isn't really to save gas in this case.

My mother is on her 2nd LS. The first 600 at our dealer has her name on it if she wants it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: You got a lot of the facts wrong.... not my fault. (!)

I went out of my way to talk to several Lexus reps at the car show about each and every one of my points and in each case (leather dash, alcantara, massage driver seat, etc.) was told that they did not exist and there was no plans for one. I'm glad to find out (from you) that they are apparently clueless.

I should have made it clear - I went to learn more about the LS460/600 because I was excited about it and was hoping that it would be an alternative to my 2006 A8 which I am somewhat disappointed with ...
Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default who would pay money for an oil change?

especially $100
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default why don't you go to a dealer and test drive one. Lexus actually tries to keep one of each model

exclusively for test drives. Most people don't shop for a car by going to car shows. Test drives are the best method.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

new audis do not have scheduled maintenance included,

Quick Reply: New Lexus LS is a big disappointment... also some 750 complaints...