A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to us 05 A8 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New to us 05 A8 - Questions

Hello everybody!!!!!
I have been driving and working on my 06 A6 4.2 for just about 1.5 years, and love it. My wife drove it for a weekend while I was out of town, and now it seems I am going to have to join in on the A8 forum as well. Guessing there are a lot of similarities, but plenty of differences.

Couple of questions:

1) Anybody seen where all of the MMI buttons seem to work just fine, except 1? In this case, it is the car button. Absolutely no response. I am thinking it is just the button, but am wondering what else might have been discovered.

2) Do all A8s come with air suspension? Since I can't get into the car menu, I can't tell if this one does. I do not see anything in VCDS, that indicates it does.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome!

Is the button stuck, or completely unresponsive? The MMI panel is pretty easy to remove. If you search, there's a good thread on here somewhere with pictures where someone does it.

All A8's come standard with air suspension, unless of course the previous owner had replaced it with a standard setup. You should be able to look right at the struts, and easily tell if it's air suspension or coilovers.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MainelyA8
Welcome!

Is the button stuck, or completely unresponsive? The MMI panel is pretty easy to remove. If you search, there's a good thread on here somewhere with pictures where someone does it.

All A8's come standard with air suspension, unless of course the previous owner had replaced it with a standard setup. You should be able to look right at the struts, and easily tell if it's air suspension or coilovers.
Thanks for the reply.

You would think I would have made a mental note on how the button was acting, but sadly no I want to say, it is not stuck, but just not making the connection.

As for the suspension, It looks like VCDS did find it and we are good to go.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, so the button is not stuck. So I took the console apart to see what I could see. Found some corrosion, not very much really, but apparently enough to cause issues.

I did find this guy's thread and started tracing the board, and it looks like he may be onto something, but not really in the mood to chase this down that far
The micro switch, at least partially works. Using a multi meter, I found there was some activity on at least 2 pairs of polls when the button is pushed.

So, it is looking like I am on the hunt for a new control board. Not many out there.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

One instance on here, someone may disable the car menu using VCDS. I would check that before jumping the gun on the new board.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
One instance on here, someone may disable the car menu using VCDS. I would check that before jumping the gun on the new board.
Cheers,
Louis
I thought I read something about this, but could not find it anywhere in VCDS. I did see a thread where somebody miss-read a message from VCDS about the function being disabled at a given speed, but that was not this at all.

At any rate, this did work, and my wife has a fully functioning MMI system. My buddy did the soldering work, and found an easier route to run the jumper.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...epair-2909200/

So, with this fix and the replacement gears for the screen, we are done.

Also, turns out that on this model at least, the button that some report to only turn and off the screen, also will open it and close it as needed.

Next up, update the park assist module to display the graphics and possibly add in a camera.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by sswari
Also, turns out that on this model at least, the button that some report to only turn and off the screen, also will open it and close it as needed.
The button only raises and lowers the screen, you can't shut off the screen and leave it up, not sure who reports it as you can unless it's a side effect of the always open mod.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
The button only raises and lowers the screen, you can't shut off the screen and leave it up, not sure who reports it as you can unless it's a side effect of the always open mod.
Yea, I don't remember where I read that, but...

The good thing is, the system is working minus the little lights that indicate which button is active. The lettering lights up when the head lights are on, so that is a good thing.

Now on to the rain/light sensor.