A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDEleven for Android People

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default OBDEleven for Android People

I always want to get away from the laptop and usb cable, last time I tried the CARISTA something for my IOS and I didn't really like it with all the software cost per year, I stumbled on OBDEleven for Android only, watched videos and it seems very potent for what I need. I've just bought a FireHD 8 to watch movies and shows by apps that only exist in Android, so it's perfect. The OBDEleven came today after a little more than a week since it's from out of the country. The free software can scan the whole car, show the codes and clear them all very quickly. The wireless is amazing. One thing I noticed that it actually list everything on the CAN Gateway, which is perfect to back up incase I need to get new CAN or Head Unit. Every module is listed with code # and icons which is nice. So, if I don't want to code which I don't, I can read failure codes and reset them. If I want to code something like retract the eBrake, to access it will cost me 5 credits and I can get 5 free credits a day by watching the advertisement. Every day with 5 credits since I don't use it daily, I can save up a bunch when I need to use them.
Anyhow, for $47 shipped, it's a great value. Again, IOS people are out, go get CARISTA.
It's amazing how many faults it found on my car since I've never cleared them before... If everything works, don't need to scan ever... Why? Right?
Wow, technologies these days... Since I don't really need the money, so I don't need to sell my VCDS full version.
I'll do some more testing to see if anything is bad. I noticed they sell easy removal version for a few bucks more, with a handle.... After plugging it in the socket, it's almost flush with the panel, Ah, that's why the handle is needed for car like A8 D3. I need to use a hook to remove it from the socket.

Very Short OBDII

Almost Flush

Need this to pull it out of the socket

My car is practically broken with all the faults found since forever...

9 control units failed... press to clear all... Nice

Brake pad worn... wow, really?

Software from Google Play Store

CAN Gateway list coding... NICE

It found my TV tuner's Faults... Yay!!

My CAN Gateway's faults

list of modules from A-Z

list of modules from A-Z

list of modules from A-Z

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 03-17-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:57 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks the schizzle tbh...
Old 03-18-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this as good as vcds for the home mechanic? What can't you do with it that vcds will allow?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Does this reset the service interval? I'd buy Carista but I can't believe they have a subscription model. I might have an old android tablet kicking around that may just work for this.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ecowboy
Does this reset the service interval? I'd buy Carista but I can't believe they have a subscription model. I might have an old android tablet kicking around that may just work for this.
I just played with the menu today...
Amazing... Some apps exist, some don't for the A8 D3, but if I get the Pro I may. Other can be used with credits which I had 28 so far until today. Every day I can get 5 credits by clicking the ads. So I don't see the windows up/down one click, if I need to do that, I'll have to shell out for the PRO, I'll check with the car this weekend.

One click app will do everything for you need 10 credits each

I see the eBrake retractable - perfect for what I would need - 10 credits

eBrake

So easy to use - open - close - test
Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 AM

Was just looking at Carista website, their dongle is Bluetooth and works with iOS....

However, having done a bit of research into Android tablets here, seems they're for nothing... Well, almost...!!
Used ones here I'd expect to pay around $50 for a newish Huwaei or Samsung....
Oh well, you live and learn I guess, least I only lost $25...!!

Last edited by mixja23; 03-20-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can buy an open box fireHD 8 from Amazon for $60 32gb. 13hr battery. Perfect for this and many other apps
Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
You can buy an open box fireHD 8 from Amazon for $60 32gb. 13hr battery. Perfect for this and many other apps
Yeh, I’ve had a quick squizz at a few places here in Qatar, can get something half tidy for about $70 new...
iIt’s only gotta run one app...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Found my Son's mini ninja and glued it. Works well as a handle
Attached Thumbnails OBDEleven for Android People-photo438.jpg   OBDEleven for Android People-photo621.jpg  
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Finally over the Labor Day weekend, I had sometime to make the video on comparing OBDeleven and VCDS. The OBDeleven scanned and reported the same codes and details just like VCDS. I'm still in the learning curve with this product. The VCDS is much more sophisticated and documented compared other others since it's been out for many years. For codes reading, clearing, the OBDeleven is quite efficient. For savvy coders, VCDS is still the best. I'm contacting the developer to see if they can help with some important coding stuff for MMI 2G.
Cheers,
Louis

Quick Reply: OBDEleven for Android People