A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paging The_Duke: H-E-L-P !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default paging The_Duke: H-E-L-P !!

My oil cooler pipe failed two days ago, so now I have no choice but to get the dreaded R&R done. Every account by forum members who have tried this ( except you ) ends with them being defeated by ONE bolt that cant be accessed no matter how many parts they remove...

But you were able to complete the R&R, and in only 8 hours ! My question to you is: How did you did you remove THE bolt (whichever one that is) ? Please share the info because I can direct my indie tech to this thread with your answer then I wont have to throw away my car, because all the estimates I'm getting for this R&R are about $3500. Or I'll be happy to pay you for a write-up of the procedure because it would save me so much money...
Old 07-16-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

More than one person here has successfully completed this procedure. Don't let something that man built defeat you. Or an independent mechanic.

Personally, I have the replacement part (from Gruven) on hand and the car partially torn apart for other reasons. I will be replacing it myself (likely within two months). My original still hasn't failed with 260,000 miles but I figure I'm in the area, may as well replace it when it will be "easy".
Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Likely the inaccessible bolt is the one you have to remove the exhaust manifold bolt to get at. All the bolts are difficult to get at, relatively speaking. The key is to have a good assortment of allen wrenches, short ones, long ones, and ones with the rounded ends. Perseverance is the key. If you have the Bentley or equivalent, and read through the forum you can do it.

I am far from a skilled mechanic, but was able to do this on my '04 4.2. I did not do it in 8 hours, likely twice that time frame, but my cost was parts only. In addition, to the oild cooler leak repair, while I had it apart, I did the timing belt job (complete), valve cover gaskets, full tuneup.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Not sure if this thread pertains but have a look.

Awdinut, did you see my unicorn story in OT? I am still considering it, but boy it was weird. Car was perfect except UCAs and a/c not as cold as mine. Really nice.

Last edited by aTOMic; 07-16-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default manifold ?

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
More than one person here has successfully completed this procedure. Don't let something that man built defeat you. Or an independent mechanic.

Personally, I have the replacement part (from Gruven) on hand and the car partially torn apart for other reasons. I will be replacing it myself (likely within two months). My original still hasn't failed with 260,000 miles but I figure I'm in the area, may as well replace it when it will be "easy".
The Duke mentions removing the alternator, motor mount, and subframe, but he did not mention removing the manifold. If The Duke has a way to do the R&R without removing the manifold, wouldn't that be better in as much as the manifold bolts (studs?) can get broken off etc..No ?

And if The Duke did not need to remove the manifold, how DID he do it ? Maybe he will give us more details..........please !
Old 07-16-2016, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
The Duke mentions removing the alternator, motor mount, and subframe, but he did not mention removing the manifold. If The Duke has a way to do the R&R without removing the manifold, wouldn't that be better in as much as the manifold bolts (studs?) can get broken off etc..No ?

And if The Duke did not need to remove the manifold, how DID he do it ? Maybe he will give us more details..........please !
I just got done replacing the cooler pipe. Used the aluminum pipe. I highly recommend using a telescoping mirror and a cheap set of allen keys you can cut to size. I found the bolts not too bad to remove. The stud was bit tough. I ended up using red locktite and the doublenut method. Most people who replaced it used the "timing belt service" position, and removed the front engine mount. I went through the bottom, removed the lower subframe bar, inner wheel liner, and the passenger side motor mount. Access to the bolts was a bit easier, although removing the alternator was a bit tight with the front end still on. Just dont forget to support the engine while the subframe bar is out. I used a engine support bar, and a small jack underneath the subframe. Overall Job took about 12 hrs. Including cleaning, cursing, and replacing the seals on the oil cooler just because I had them on hand. From all the orings removed, the original figure 8 seal looked ok, all other o rings were flat and worn.

I highly recommend getting replacement o rings for the alternator coolant pipes (qty 4), the figure 8 oring in case its flat (comes in the oil cooler seals kit), and the oring for the coolant pipe that sits in the way of the middle bolt (qty 1).

Figure 8 Kit PN: 077198405 (46$)
Alternator Pipe Orings PN: 90783401 (1$)
Middle bolt Coolant Pipe Oring PN: 077121437 ($5)

I got my parts from ECS Tuning.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Wow, many people who've done this and there isn't

one procedure with pictures or videos?
My car has only 115k miles, the pipe may last until 250k miles like Mr. Bally. I won't have a chance to make a video for it.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Manifold does not need to be removed. Just one of the studs. I used the two nut method. A regular nut followed by a blind nut(see below) that I cut down smaller so the socket fit over it. It was very easy and the stud came right out.

Definitely replace the alternator pipe o-rings. I put mine back together and filled it with my vacuum coolant filler. Then as soon as I removed vacuum it started leaking. Had to drain all the coolant, pull the pipes, replace the o-rings, and put it all back together and refill. Pain in the *** and I know better than not replacing o-rings.