A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to buy a 2008 S8

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP- I actually looked at that car as a candidate for replacing my recently departed S8 and some of the things you brought up kept me from moving forward. In particular the rear impact showing up on the CarFax and the fact that I've seen it on the market for quite some time. I saved myself the hassle of driving to go see it.

Now my D3 S8 would sometimes upon starting up would feel like it was running rough but would normalize within seconds. I wouldn't consider that a major issue from my POV. The VCDS/VagCom will help you see if there are other issues floating around.

Keep us posted.

Cheers!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

OP, if you are really in the market for a D3 S8, there is no shortage of them out there. You might have to go some distance to get the right one but that's no real issue when you find the right car. With that being the case, why would you buy a car that's been hit? Of course unless you buy it way back of retail. The only way I could overlook the collision would be to save 7-10K on a like for like car. That's unlikely to happen in this case seeing as how they've had the car for a long time. The next trick they will use is to mark the car up 5-7K and then when somebody comes shopping and isn't familiar or educated, they end up buying it for 7-8k off asking price. they then drive off feeling like they stole it. Happens more than you might think on cars that sit for a long time.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Go to CA and try this one

I don't know much about S8, but <a href="http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5520270012.html">this one sounds good</a>.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 04-04-2016, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Google+ reviews would be enough to make me walk away from that dealer unless the car was super cheap.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's super loaded for sure. My regret was not having Extended leather on my S8. It's a shame it got hit...I'd take it to do some PPI from Audi dealer for sure.

About the rough idle when start up. My car does that and when I asked Audi service, they said that's normal, but for sure ask the Audi service when doing PPI.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

My S8 is base except for B&O, keyless start/entry, soft closing doors, double glass, cold weather goodies(not sure if heated seats are standard). That's it and I don't regret not getting anything except adaptive cruise. I just really wanted ibis white lol
Old 04-14-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any luck with the PPI or negotiating price?
Old 04-14-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i took the car to a shop. they put the car on a lift to check it over. no leaks. right side damage must have been minor because the shop couldn't tell where the damage was. I think the report may have been wrong because the back left where the wheel is cracked is the location of the damage but nothing major i cant get fixed. Dealer replaced the cracked wheel. The pillar is being replaced and they are going to cover the carbon fiber piece that is cracked. I just got in my vcds cable today and will be going Saturday to run a scan. If everything checks good i will be coming home with a S8 and this weekend its suppose to be nice. Needless to say come Monday this car is going to look like glass from me detailing it lol.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will you get any extended warranty?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think i will get the extended warranty. They have never really worked out for me and the those types of dealers wouldnt be the hands i would want to work on that type of vehicle. The warranty has acutally been what i have given alot of thought into. I have a group of friends that have S8, A8 and everything in between for the most part. They have some shops in Jersey that do great work. I would say the major part of repairs i can tackle anyway so im not worried about that. I learned engine building and tuning on my own just to circumvent the cost of having a shop do the work. Hopefully with this vehicle having 69k will net me some time until major repairs need to be made but you never know lol

In all honesty. The major part of purchasing the S8 over an A8 is purely based on the forum support i have seen. No other forum i have been apart of offer so much support to one another. I was hesitant on the jump to an S8. All of my cars have been built anywhere from 500-700hp and things break faster and cost just as much to replace parts. All in all.... i think jumping into the S8 is a nice choice and hopefully everything pans out nicely. if not i have a white A8 inline but i have to fly out to make the purchase

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7026/overview/

Quick Reply: Planning to buy a 2008 S8