A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please HELP!!! 2009 Audi A8L stuck on bootloader... :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP!!! 2009 Audi A8L stuck on bootloader... :(

So long story short I made the mistake of going to get my new tires put on at Walmart.... They had no idea how to get into jack mode in order to turn off the air suspension.... 1 and 1/2 hours later they finally asked me where it was in the menu.... some how they had disabled that menu I had no way to access it to show them. IT GETS WORSE they said okay and went back to trying to figure it out and another hour goes by they said they cant do it because they cant find the right menu...…. I didn't realize the mmi was forced shut and drove home and parked my car like usual STILL NO NEW TIRES MOUNTED!! Next morning I was getting in my car to head to work and the battery was dead and so i thought maybe it wants the key.... big mistake.... Long story short short lol towed it to Audi and they just called and said it would take 10 hours at 145.00 an hour to diagnose my MMI since its stuck in bootloader and there was no updates possible for my car... I am not a mechanic in anyway but from what i read i am assuming there is or a way to fix this with a cd.... the screen said "bootloader version 2.40 MMI (H43) application update searching download CD. As of right now Audi gave me the option to pull my mmi fuse so it doesn't keep draining my battery with this forced update and a quote for 500.00 to install a new battery. Can anyone help or have ideas of what to do?? Thank you so much in advance Oh and lesson learned never going to Walmart again...
Old 02-23-2021, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Disconnect battery, both cables. Touch battery cables together. Connect back. Hopefully this resets.
Always place in jack mode when having tires serviced. Finding these menus is impossible to a novice.
Go anywhere and get a gel battery. 200.00 tops for AGM. Only if battery is dead.
I bought my first set of tires from Walmart this year. 275 R65 18 for Sequoia. Great price on Pirelli’s. Balance job was good. When retorquing all were spot on, just budged at 100 ft-lbs. Last few trips to Discount Tire convinced me to find another company. Costco and Discount have proven unusable.
Me and several others have had lugs way overtorqued at local Discount. There was one on my sons car that had to be 200 ft-pounds.Needed a breaker bar, pipe, and pull up like a crazy man. Expected to snap off.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

So, I would say...no joke...start reading the perhaps hundreds of posts or so about MMI and bootloader on this forum and pray you can fix it.

The conventional wisdom on boot loader is if you end up there, the MMI control module is bricked and has to be replaced. If new part, that was a two grand repair 15 years ago. At 2009, your A8 is probably on the last (4610) version already.

I think with that last update to MMI software, there may have been some posts saying you could start a supposed update and maybe get it to clear. Some posts (maybe some of the last of Misha's?) might have noted a workaround like that--it's been too long to recall. Audi stopped selling the update CD's (which were cheap) IIRC, so you would have to poke around and find a needle in a haystack where someone has the set. There are supposedly online copies, but that is also what often led to blown up MMI control modules.

FWIW, you probably only get to the "Hidden Menu" to set off this sorry chain of events if either they are a dealer who "thinks" they know what they are doing on a system they probably don't service much any more, or someone at Walmart or wherever who had the not so bright idea of surfing the web and watched yet another bad YouTube hack job video. The button sequence to get to Hidden menu is too arcane to just have it be random. Hidden Menu has to be enabled in the first place--whether at the time or in the past. Bootloader and the software are not forgiving, and these aren't smart phones with a quick slam bam app update approach.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-24-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BY3F3L1C1A
So long story short I made the mistake of going to get my new tires put on at Walmart.... They had no idea how to get into jack mode in order to turn off the air suspension.... 1 and 1/2 hours later they finally asked me where it was in the menu.... some how they had disabled that menu I had no way to access it to show them. IT GETS WORSE they said okay and went back to trying to figure it out and another hour goes by they said they cant do it because they cant find the right menu...…. I didn't realize the mmi was forced shut and drove home and parked my car like usual STILL NO NEW TIRES MOUNTED!! Next morning I was getting in my car to head to work and the battery was dead and so i thought maybe it wants the key.... big mistake.... Long story short short lol towed it to Audi and they just called and said it would take 10 hours at 145.00 an hour to diagnose my MMI since its stuck in bootloader and there was no updates possible for my car... I am not a mechanic in anyway but from what i read i am assuming there is or a way to fix this with a cd.... the screen said "bootloader version 2.40 MMI (H43) application update searching download CD. As of right now Audi gave me the option to pull my mmi fuse so it doesn't keep draining my battery with this forced update and a quote for 500.00 to install a new battery. Can anyone help or have ideas of what to do?? Thank you so much in advance Oh and lesson learned never going to Walmart again...
i have the same problem mate so can u plz tell me how to disbale the secren to mike sur my battry wont dead its been 4months when i come home i remove battry cable so can u tell me how to turn off mmi and if i can install new android screen can and shutdown audi mmi will help ?
sorry for my bad english