A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for S8 ownership.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Preparing for S8 ownership.

Hello everyone,

For a year now I've been looking for an upgrade from my 2005 Audi A6 3.2, and recently I've set my sights on the S8 for various, but most of them personal, reasons. In order to make the best informed decision I would like to have some more information. Some technical, some experience from owners.

Some technical questions I have are; from when does the S8 come with the T3 system. And what are the actual differences between the facelift/non-facelift versions. Are there visual clues? Please provide clear cut answers, not the vague marketing crap from the press announcement Audi made at the time. If there aren't any, then that' s fine

Also, I have reserved a budget of around 8500 euro's for equipment/costs varying from Walnut Blasting, tools, tires, dashcam, electric bicycle and more to keep it maintained as a daily driver, excluding purchase price. It will be a car I plan to own and use, not have a temporary fling with. It will also be driven properly, autobahn drives are not avoidable. The Audi engine document for the 5.2 V10 of the S6 and S8 shows that it already has a built-in air-oi separator, but it also states that it will not filter properly if under full load. Has anyone installed an oil-catchcan? Should and could the swirl-flaps be removed? According to the document they only have a minor purpose during low revs, but horror-stories regarding swirl-flaps are plentiful.

Are there any symptoms or issues I need to look out for when buying or working on the car? My A6 has taught me that dealer maintained has zero value and is more likely a hazard then a benefit when compared to a reputable 3rd party shop.

Any advice or questions are welcome.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

This was posted here previously, I have it saved in a word document, this was based on US spec cars, the 07 being the pre-facelift and the 08 being the facelift. Best of luck.

2007 vs. 2008 S8 Differences

On the exterior, you have the facelift rectangular fogs, updated fog grills, and slightly updated main grill, revised lager mirrors with integrated blinkers, the option for lane change assist (not available prior to 08), and of course the facelift all-LED taillights.

Inside, you have updated metal accents (mirror adjustment ****, door pockets trim, updated start button, metal accents on the steering wheel), updated adjustable contour headrests (this one is weird as the W12's and 4.2's got these in 07), and AMI guaranteed vs. if 07 S8 is like 07 4.2's/W12's, you may nor may not have AMI with an 07 S8. I think AMI units still go for around $600 if you do a self install, otherwise $1100+ at the dealer.

Also, I've read that 08 4.2's got improved cabin sound insulation but don't know if this applied to the already enhanced insulation in W12's and so possibly in S8's as well.

Finally, the 07 S8's have a 50/50 default torque split center diff. The 08+ S8's have a 40/60 IIRC.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I installed a catch can on my S8, see link in signature.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the biggest update for the facelift is those LED taillights. The older lights really age the car in a bad way. It's only $1200 to install them on your 07' though so if the price difference between the newer ones vs an 07' is alot, I'd go with an 07'.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
IMO the biggest update for the facelift is those LED taillights. The older lights really age the car in a bad way. It's only $1200 to install them on your 07' though so if the price difference between the newer ones vs an 07' is alot, I'd go with an 07'.
I'm selling my set for $800 and the installation is not at all difficult. It makes a big visual difference for sure, and adding two wires is pretty easy, just a simple splicing, there are guides. I wouldn't say there is a significant enough difference between the 07's and 08's beyond that to justify the difference in price.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I look at 07's and 08's, unless you owned both, I don't think you would ever notice the differences after owning one for a week. I got one with all the options, my friend has one without the extended leather option, I don't think he notices not having it as he doesn't have anything to compare it with.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must be rich to drive a V10 in Europe.
Don't you have to pay a tax based on the engine displacement?
The fuel is also so much more too, but the S8 is a great machine.
Enjoy it!
Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

@PaulW
@EHLO

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

@johnd64
Taxes here in The Netherlands are primarily based on the weight of the car. And yes, they are high. And no, I'm not rich....I'm stupid I think Japan has taxes based on engine displacement.

Could the solarpanel sunroof be installed aftermarket on a normal sunroof car? Preventing the car from boiling when outside in the sun sounds like a ridiculous gimmick I'd like to get addicted to, like ACC and Climate Control... Also, does anyone have an estimate for the cost of either transmission or engine timing chain replacement?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by YesLifer
@PaulW
@EHLO

Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for.

@johnd64
Taxes here in The Netherlands are primarily based on the weight of the car. And yes, they are high. And no, I'm not rich....I'm stupid I think Japan has taxes based on engine displacement.

Could the solarpanel sunroof be installed aftermarket on a normal sunroof car? Preventing the car from boiling when outside in the sun sounds like a ridiculous gimmick I'd like to get addicted to, like ACC and Climate Control... Also, does anyone have an estimate for the cost of either transmission or engine timing chain replacement?
In theory, the solar sunroof could be retrofitted, but you don't want it, it's known to burn out the HVAC fans from constant use and if I recall, it prevents you from using your sunroof as a sunroof.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have the solar sunroof, and if I had a choice, I would rather have a moonroof. My interior has the black Alcantara headliner plus tinted windows, so it's not the lightest interior in the world. I rarely open my sunroof, I would much prefer to have a glass panel that lets light in vs. the solar panel that doesn't let any light in.

Ebay has glass panels for less than $100 shipped! However, I would never go through what it would take to retrofit it.

Quick Reply: Preparing for S8 ownership.