A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about lowering A8 with Vag Com

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about lowering A8 with Vag Com

I have lowered my A8 with Vag Com about 20mm.

This summer I am planning on using the car for holiday, pulling a
caravan.

My question is; Do I need to raise the car for this?
Will the lowering cause any more wearing to the car with a caravan behind?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not any input?
Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Come on

Someone must have an opinion about this?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll weigh in since no one else has yet.

I would think that with the fixed range of travel in the suspension, you'll tend to bottom out more if you have the car lowered to begin with. Your caravan may not add a lot of downward acting weight, but you'll presumably be loaded up in the trunk as well. Having the car at a lower height will increase the load it takes from the caravan. I'd guess you can do it, but I would tend to raise the car to help reduce the total loading.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rowlie
I'll weigh in since no one else has yet.

I would think that with the fixed range of travel in the suspension, you'll tend to bottom out more if you have the car lowered to begin with. Your caravan may not add a lot of downward acting weight, but you'll presumably be loaded up in the trunk as well. Having the car at a lower height will increase the load it takes from the caravan. I'd guess you can do it, but I would tend to raise the car to help reduce the total loading.

Thanks for the reply

I think the range of travel in the suspenion is ok. Need to check with the caravan and load on, but doesn't the suspension adjust if you put more load on it?

My mainly consern is if the undercarriage is worn more. I think about bushings and struts. Does the wear and tear on these increase with the car lowered?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

this is straight out of the owner's manual:

in car setup, under adaptive air suspension, you must select "trailer towing mode" and turn it on. when you connect a trailer to your vehicle and create an electrical connection between the vehicle and trailer, the system automatically recognizes "trailer operation" and activates this special mode. the mode ceases automatically when the trailer is disconnected from the vehicle. trailer towing mode can also be turned off manually.

on vehicles with adaptive air suspension the vehicle must be set to automatic or standard mode so that it is at normal level before connecting the trailer and before adjusting the tongue load on the trailer.

on vehicles with adaptive air suspension - SPORT the vehicle must be set to automatic, standard or dynamic mode so that it is at normal level before connecting the trailer and before adjusting the tongue load on the trailer.

please refer to page 199 in the MMI manual and page 287 in the owner's manual for more instructions on towing stuff. they include setup instructions and helpful hints. (these page numbers come from my 2005 manuals)

Last edited by chazertis; 07-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.