A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain sensor auto close?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain sensor auto close?

On a Golf V with rain sensor, it is easy to enable the sunroof and windows to auto close when the car is left locked with sunroof and / or windows open using VAG COM. Can this be done on the A8?
Apparently yes. How is the question though...
The first part of the procedure (changing the RLS coding on module 9) should be similar, but module 46 has a completely different coding method. Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Re: Rain sensor auto close?

Funny that just yesterday I recoded module 46 to allow remote closing of windows and sunroof with the key fob remote with no luck. I had to reset it to the original setting to allow all windows down after unlocking doors and pushing & holding the two front window buttons. Coding was saved but does not seem to be implemented in the firmware in my low S/N A8L from 2004 (built in March, 2003).

If you can't find the procedure on the Ross Tech website, I suggest emailing them as they should be able to help you with the settings.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Rain sensor auto close?

After making me jump through hoops to prove that I bought my Vag Com legally, they suggested I ask this forum :-)
Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default It's right in the wiki--the basic assembled Bible/reference source for VAG COM coding

Group 46 (Comfort System), Channel 61. Why Ross-Tech would point you here is odd too when the Wiki is linked right off their site. I like their product, but I have found one or two interactions with them pretty stiff.

This has been covered a lot if you search archives, or if not here on the C5 board (or probably D2 too) given the volume of posts there. I know the C5 coding is basically the same too from my own cars.

Advanced course on the Wiki by the way: the German language version sometimes has more info depending on the module and the model; if you run it through a translator you can then get something usable if you don't read German. Google only does about the first page though. For the window and sunroof coding though it's all right there.<ul><li><a href="http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Audi_A8/S8_%284E%29">Wiki for D3</a></li></ul>
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One other thing you can code in this area too--one switch full window drop

I coded mine to also allow all for window drop or raise using just the driver's door window switch when you have the door open. Push it down or pull it up for a second or two and they all kick into action; doesn't require the key either. With keyless entry/locking that I have it allows you to drop the windows when entering the vehicle without getting the remote out to start cooling car before you get in and start it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: It's right in the wiki--the basic assembled Bible/reference source for VAG COM coding

Sorry, I but I do not see rain closure option on channel 61. Neither did any forum searches show rain closure options. I have managed to do this successfully on a Golf V though.
Here is what I found:
Channel 061: Comfort Functions

* +001 = Comfort Closing: Window Regulators via Remote Control
* +002 = Comfort Opening: Window Regulators via Remote Control
* +004 = Comfort Closing: Sunroof via Remote Control
* +008 = Comfort Opening: Sunroof via Remote Control
* +016 = Comfort Closing: Window Regulator via Switch Drivers Door
* +032 = Comfort Opening: Window Regulator via Switch Drivers Door
* +064 = Comfort Closing: Sunroof via Switch Drivers Door
* +128 = Comfort Opening: Sunroof via Switch Drivers Door
* +256 = Comfort Closing: Window Regulators via Lock Cylinder
* +512 = Comfort Closing: Sunroof via Lock Cylinder

Note: Adaptation value is the sum of the individual options.
Should I experiment with values greater than +512, such as +1024, +2048 etc until it works?
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I'm not aware rain sensing closing exists

Your message title mentioned it, but then the text I thought was just asking about the general closing functions. In theory I get it since the car has a sensor for windshield moisture, but I'm not aware it is linked to the auto close feature at all. As far as I know, those all require operator interventionm via a key, a switch or the remote to activate.

As I mentioned separately, Audi also doesn't like anything that closes by itself due to the possibility of human or animal injury--for example, why you can open by not close the trunk via remote.

Sure you can experiment by basically adding increasing powers of 2 as long as you keep track of your starting point. More likely though, it would be closely related to what ever the VW code is you are mentioning. Maybe look around the wiki at other vehicles to see if it is there. On U.S. Audi's anyway, I doubt it. Below it the link a level or two up where you can pick the car model; I do see what you are referring to in the Golf V under Group 9.<ul><li><a href="http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Diagnostic_Procedures">wiki index to all included vehicles</a></li></ul>
Old 05-16-2008, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And here is the other master source for this...

openobd.org. If you click on the flags you can go between German and English. Sometimes the German has more content. After that I don't have any more references to offer/check.<ul><li><a href="http://en.openobd.org/">openobd</a></li></ul>
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks MP4.2+6.0

I appreciate your time. Ross-Tech confirmed that Rain closing should be possible, but do not know how do activate it. I shall experiment, and on success will let the board know...