A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit--Electric Side Blinds

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit--Electric Side Blinds

Has anybody ever attempted or know of a link that has info on making the side blinds electric like the rear one? I'm interested in having them go up/down when I press a different button than the rear one.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I have looked into the upgrade.

Originally Posted by bananapeel
Has anybody ever attempted or know of a link that has info on making the side blinds electric like the rear one? I'm interested in having them go up/down when I press a different button than the rear one.
I am thinking that it is not possible. Obtaining the motors, the blinds, the door pannel top caps, the overhead and door switches and installing them is do-able (a lot of work, but that has never stopped me before). I have found a used source for all the neccessary parts. BUT the problem would seem to be getting the system to integrate with the car and function. The switches are not switches like the old days where the switches supply the operational voltage and determine the funtion of the equipment.

Now the switches merely handle small signal voltages that tell the control module what movements are requested. I dont know if the control module is different for the cars with and without electric side shades, the proper module could be installed if needed of course, but I dont see how the wiring to the motors and the switches could be installed and integrated with the module. Unless all cars are wired for the funtion and have the plugs hidden away some where nearby...but I have not torn a door pannel off to explore for plugs.

I would be interested to learn what someone else knows about all this.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've never heard of any attempts or seen any links.

Provided the wiring is there in models with manual shades, my guess would be one just needs to swap out the manual shades with power shade units and maybe code with VCDS. I'd be surprised if it required a controller module that is not already in the manual shade D3s but who knows. The info you are looking for might be in Bentley manual but I sold mine with the W12.

All US W12s have power side shades which can be operated with the driver and rear window buttons as well as the buttons in the rear overhead control cluster. Don't know if you'd need to change the control cluster or not since just the window buttons would suffice.

I'm also curious if Audi made SWB door power shades. They make SWB W12s in Europe so I would think so.

Last edited by ModestW12; 02-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not too knowledgeable about the computer system of the audi a8. That's partially why I ordered the manual. Hopefully, it has some good info.

If, I kept the rear and side shades as one button (the one that is already in place), couldn't you just install the side shades, wire it properly, upgrade the motor to handle all three and code it properly w vcds? I mean that is a simplistic statement, but would it be accurate?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

As awdinut mentioned, the shades aren't wired to the switches, rather the switches are wired to the control module as are the shades. Telling the module (with VCDS) that you have power shades should yield operation via the driver and rear passenger window buttons.

Reprogramming a control module to have the rear blind button activate all of the is a whole different animal beyond even VCDS.

Plus, there is logic that operates the power side blinds that is contingent on whether a relevant window is rolled down or not. It just couldn't work if one button operated them all.

Last edited by ModestW12; 02-24-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ModestW12
As awdinut mentioned, the shades aren't wired to the switches, rather the switches are wired to the control module as are the shades. Telling the module (with VCDS) that you have power shades should yield operation via the driver and rear passenger window buttons.

Reprogramming a control module to have the rear blind button activate all of the is a whole different animal beyond even VDCS.

Plus, there is logic that operates the power side blinds that is contingent on whether a relevant window is rolled down or not. It just couldn't work if one button operated them all.

Oh ok, I got what him and you are saying now. Thanks for the fast replies.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How hard would it be to have the shades installed on a 2013 A6 if I didn't get that option when I ordered it? (Originally had a 2012 on order and it was changed to a 2013 before I could get the options changed.)
Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default bump to the top..

I just wanted to know if there has been any update to a project like this? Would love them in my 08 a8l.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have since solved the problem by buying a W12 recently.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 PM
2015 A8L TDI

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

The BMW 7 series 2004+ has electric door and quarter window shades as an option.
I saw one at a junkyard, and boy was it complicated!!!

Quick Reply: Retrofit--Electric Side Blinds