A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad week, totaled my A8 and A6 avant

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad week, totaled my A8 and A6 avant

You can all cry over this. I've been with this forum since it started. I had a 4000, 4000 5+5, 5000, V8, a6 wagon, another a6 wagon, D2 A8 and now my D3 A8. Continuous audi's since the 70's. Last week my wife got distracted and hit a telephone with our 2006 a6 Avant. I loved that call because you don't see them every day. Long wheelbase and 156000 miles. Then when we were returning the rental car she accidentally drove the A8 into the back of the rental and pushed the hood until it broke the radiator. That car had 220000 miles on it but it was perfect. new strut replacements and brakes and timing belt in the last 6 months. I couldn't claim both cars on my insurance without getting screwed. I got almost 10K for the A6 but the 2004 A8 with 220K miles wouldn't have given me any money except for cancellation and high rates. The A8 needs the fill front clip that will run over 5K for a used one. I'm not putting that much money into a car that would never be worth that much. The A6 is going to the junkyard for $500. The A8 is at the body shop but I need to decide if I sell it to him for a few hundred or if someone here might want it. It's a shame to get so little for it when I know how much all the parts are worth. Looking to get a Cadillac CTS wagon 4wd. The Audi's that are available are just too much money.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

would be interested in buying car email ebj@silverstar.com
Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. I had an '81 4000 5+5 so I know what a neat machine that one was. Also an '87 5000CSq turbo and now my '04 A8L with 236,000 miles on it. Just replaced the rear brakes and rotors two days ago.

I only have basic liability insurance on all vehicles. Insurance companies are your friend, until something goes wrong.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tough losses...I hope the Mrs. is doing ok...that kind of shock to the body twice in a week has got to suck!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Rotten luck. Although is your wife ok...not from the accidents (I presume she is?) but in herself? Two accidents in quick succession from what appears to boil down to a lack of due care and attention is a worry.

Anyway, donating the A8 to charity might get you something? And on the bright side, you can pick up another A8 with much less miles on for not much money at all these days.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may be time for a refresher course in driving...just sayin'
Old 02-16-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a bit difficult time understanding your post - your wife managed to total out two cars in the same week?

If that's the case, perhaps a cheap, disposable car for your wife may be the answer there, rather than another audi. Parts are expensive and from my experience, what you wrote about the accidents is generally a predictor of one's lack of driving ability.

This reminds me a bit of a rennlist thread where some guys wife had their son's ssoc and birth cert stolen, because she left her purse visible in her car. Week later she did the exact same thing in the very same parking spot with exact some results.

Last edited by halik; 02-16-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
You can all cry over this. I've been with this forum since it started. I had a 4000, 4000 5+5, 5000, V8, a6 wagon, another a6 wagon, D2 A8 and now my D3 A8. Continuous audi's since the 70's. Last week my wife got distracted and hit a telephone with our 2006 a6 Avant. I loved that call because you don't see them every day. Long wheelbase and 156000 miles. Then when we were returning the rental car she accidentally drove the A8 into the back of the rental and pushed the hood until it broke the radiator. That car had 220000 miles on it but it was perfect. new strut replacements and brakes and timing belt in the last 6 months. I couldn't claim both cars on my insurance without getting screwed. I got almost 10K for the A6 but the 2004 A8 with 220K miles wouldn't have given me any money except for cancellation and high rates. The A8 needs the fill front clip that will run over 5K for a used one. I'm not putting that much money into a car that would never be worth that much. The A6 is going to the junkyard for $500. The A8 is at the body shop but I need to decide if I sell it to him for a few hundred or if someone here might want it. It's a shame to get so little for it when I know how much all the parts are worth. Looking to get a Cadillac CTS wagon 4wd. The Audi's that are available are just too much money.
Where are you located? I may be interested for a few hundred!!!

Phil
Old 02-16-2015, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I enjoy reading all your comments. Two accidents in 30 years of driving isn't bad-unless its in the same week. I think I'm going to sell the car to my body shop. I don't have the time or space to sell it off in pieces. I think he will try to fix it, not sure why. I loved the car but the reality it was 11 years old with 220,000 miles. I know it was well maintained but I wouldn't trust someone else's car of the same age.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BongoCruiser
I enjoy reading all your comments. Two accidents in 30 years of driving isn't bad-unless its in the same week. I think I'm going to sell the car to my body shop. I don't have the time or space to sell it off in pieces. I think he will try to fix it, not sure why. I loved the car but the reality it was 11 years old with 220,000 miles. I know it was well maintained but I wouldn't trust someone else's car of the same age.
I hate to say it, but a lot can change in a person in 30 years. 2 accidents due to lack of concentration/attention in 1 week is bad. Whether it's medical or carelessness, I'd take this seriously. I'd hate to be the next car she rear ends.

That being said, I am glad it's only the cars that are busted up and your wife is okay.

Quick Reply: Sad week, totaled my A8 and A6 avant