A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary MMI crash this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary MMI crash this morning

Not the usual with the quick self reboot. After several errand runs, I started up engine and the system didn't respond when I clicked Accept. System timed out after about 45 seconds and tried to reboot but each time the system refused to take Accept. Here's the new wrinkle, each time the system would timeout after the 30 to 45 seconds, then all indicator lights on the whole MMI key cluster came on at the same time, they seemed brighter than usual, then they'd go off and the system would die again. I tried the three button reset and it totally disregarded that three times. Then I got desperate and started hitting other buttons. After I punched the Nav button a few times, then did the three-button reset the system rebooted and allowed me to click on Accept. The only thing I can think is that maybe one of the Function buttons like NAV or other was stuck depressed and I didn't realize it. But I never saw all those cluster lights come on like that on a MMI crash before.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try shutting off the engine next time and restarting. Sometimes,

thats what it takes as opposed to trying a reboot with the engine on. My experience has been that an MMI "failure" can cause all sorts of things to happen and every once in a while, one of those "things" will not have appeared before. Im waiting for the Three Wise Men to appear on the screen with wry smiles shrugging their shoulders!! Im thinking about replacing the NAV with three camels and a star! LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup...another case of the stuck buttons.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Scary MMI crash this morning

I'm ordereing a new A8L next month after driving 8 Mercedes, and I have to admit after reading numerous members complaints regarding the MMI system, that this system is without it's many problems. Are these various problems on new 05's or older models. Maybe I've been lucky but the MB's I've owned have been trouble free. I like the lines outside, the great interior, the free maintenance and the deal made by the dealer is hard to believe compared to the same $80M benz. I hope I'm not making a mistake by switching brands.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Try shutting off the engine next time and restarting. Sometimes,

Thanks Greenie. I did try shutting the engine off and even gave it a little time to think about playing nice. But that didn't help. I'm pretty well convinced that it was a stuck button . . . but as you say, the failures have been intermittent and inexplicable. All part of the fun! I'm starting to like the idea of separate entertainment controls like the ones on the climate system.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Scary MMI crash this morning

Your choice...you've been "Merced-ied" and doubt you will like your dealorship unless it's one that has at least 2 A8 techs on staff.<ul><li><a href="http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?s=162afba8fc723351735930a5e52fbdfb& amp;threadid=2729&amp;highlight=navigation+problem s">http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?s=162afba8fc723351735930a5e52fbdfb& amp;threadid=2729&amp;highlight=
Old 01-08-2005, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Absolutely ditto you on the separate controls. Thank goodness

the HVAC can be accessed w/o calling on the MMI gods!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You sure this wasnt Buybeaches 04 A8??
Old 01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Any car at this level of "refinement"(I use that term loosely)

can be a winner or a loser. I almost made the jump to Benz last year but was scared off by one of their techs!! He intimated that Id be taking a chance because of all of the electronics. I jumped to the A8 instead and have had my share of uh-ohs but, in the long run, I made the right decision based on the appeal of the car, support of the sales staff and ultimate driving satisfaction.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: MMI Complaints

Like any forum, more folks come here to complain than compliment. It definitely can skew an outsider's opinion of a car. The biggest concerns you should have is the quality of the service department. Yes there are some issues w/ the A8's: the phone integration being the longest running. But if you search, we not had any talk about major failures or lemon law issues since the early launch vehicles way over a year ago.

I think you've made a good choice is ordering an A8 and I expect your experience will be a great one. Hopefully your car will be perfect, but there's a chance that it will have small issues/quirks. This is where the service department factors in, a bad one can definitely sour you on the brand. On the upside, this forum can be very helpful, and we're getting 'The' A8 D2 expert (PaulW) up to speed on our D3's ;-)

Quick Reply: Scary MMI crash this morning