A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default poor mans conversion

I did the poor man's conversion. I blacked out the lower part of the upper grille and the upper part of the lower grille, got some chrome molding and connected the upper and lower grille, then I painted between the new chrome "connectors" with matte black paint. The car is black. I think it looks pretty darn good for a total cost of about 30 dollars and a few hours of time. The front bumper already had stone chips so I didn't mind painting the matte black on it. Some people have used black vinyl which can be removed. It looks just like the white car pictured in the first post. 99% of the people who see it equate it with the newer model cars and really don't give it a second look.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread got jacked..lol

Originally Posted by Tim1
I did the poor man's conversion. I blacked out the lower part of the upper grille and the upper part of the lower grille, got some chrome molding and connected the upper and lower grille, then I painted between the new chrome "connectors" with matte black paint. The car is black. I think it looks pretty darn good for a total cost of about 30 dollars and a few hours of time. The front bumper already had stone chips so I didn't mind painting the matte black on it. Some people have used black vinyl which can be removed. It looks just like the white car pictured in the first post. 99% of the people who see it equate it with the newer model cars and really don't give it a second look.
but got any pics of your bumper mods?

I thought of doing something similar I bought some 20 in LED strips off ebay and I am going to tuck them under the headlights so they are hidden but you can see then when theyre on. I also considered buying a strip of matte black viynl to give the impression of a grill insert and then maybe the chrome edges to give it that single frame look. i just held off cause I didnt think it would look that good.
but, do you have any pics of what you did to yours?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pic

Here is a quick cell phone pic.
IMHO the original grill looks better but the mod looks newer. As I said, don't expect the world for 30 bucks, but when it's driving down the road or in someone's rear view mirror, it looks like a newer Audi
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Name:  ThumbsUp-2.gif
Views: 3414
Size:  1,012 Bytes
Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO the original grill looks better but the mod looks newer. As I said, don't expect the world for 30 bucks, but when it's driving down the road or in someone's rear view mirror, it looks like a newer Audi
Ok but it looks worse and noticeably so... And it doesn't look newer; it looks different. Nobody knows that the single grill cars are newer. I certainly didn't before I bought mine. So the only people that would ever know that it's newer would spot it as a fake instantly.

I don't know how to say this without sounding rude but do you drive your car for your own enjoyment or are you trying to impress people with how new your car is? I'd never willingly make my car look worse just so that random strangers on the road would think it was newer.

Not saying, just saying...
Old 07-28-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

When I was considering A8 I was planing to paint that middle part in car color to get more of classic bumper look. Than I got 2005. Problem solved.

I like that white one may be better than face lift.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim1 with those plain wheels and that hack job on the chrome... it just looks bad. If you own an A8 attention to detail is a must. At least you should have made sure the chrome line looked seamless!! You should put it back it looks like a half*** hack job sorry You can still save you A8!!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
I saw another one that went one step further and got a piece of chrome trim and connected the two to make it appear as one. I found the pic and posted it as well.
the white one you posted here is not a stock Audi grill to start with. It has several after-market add-ons. Looks great; but, who ever owns this white one did more than just put on some chrome strips and paint the middle section black.

IMO, the 04-05 grill look way better than the single grill on the D3 A8 (same goes for the A6). This is because the single grill look was an major after-thought...the car was never designed to have the, now, signature Audi grill. So, it looks awkward. It isn't until Audi did full redesigns on their models that the single grill started looking good.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, it looks better than I thought it would from your original post. That said, it would look a whoooole lot better if you got more precise on the paint of the original chrome...you missed a few spots and need to bring the black paint out more on the upper grill...and also it seems from the photo that you didn't paint the upper grill chrome back far enough toward the engine side of the grill.

Either way, not worth it and now you can't go back without spending about $1k.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ABez2k11
Ive been looking everywhere and I haven't seen this covered anywhere on the internet so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had an idea if this would work.
I have a 2004 A8L and Id like to try to update the grill to the newer single frame.
first off, I am aware that 2006 and up conversions will require new headlights, hood, grill and lower grill fogs and inserts, and some wiring and will cost upwards of $5k. I am also aware that Hofele and Iltek offer 2 types of single frame bumpers, the Premier and the RS8 w/LEDs which are fiberglass bumpers that use the OEM single frame Grills and will cost about $4K installed.
I dont want to spend that much to do a single frame conversion and the hofele kits look a bit cheap but I had an idea that might work and I was wondering if anyone knows if this might work.
I have been looking at pictures online of the 2004 A8 W12 and comparing the Hood and Headlights with that of the 2004 Audi A8 4.2L.
it seems that the w12 hood looks very similar to that of the 4.2. The cut out for the headlights and the grill look very similar. I contacted my local Audi dealership and asked them about pricing and about the hood differences between an 04 w12 and a 04 4.2. The bumper alone would cost me about $900 unpainted and the Audi parts department is telling me that the hoods that are used in both the w12 and 4.2s are the same. this means the headlights and the bumpers should be interchangeable.
So....I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a possibility that the 2004 w12 front bumper would fit on a 2004 audi A8 4.2L to Convert the grill to a single frame for a newer look?
anyone have any knowledge of fitment or heard of this working?

thank you for any info.
First W12 models have already same shaped bonnet and headlights as the newer singleframe models (2006+). So the conversion can be done but the cost will be exactly the same as any newer singleframe one. Main difference between 2004 W12 and never 4,2 is horizontal or vertical grill cutouts, even the bumper is exactly the same.

Quick Reply: Single Frame grill conversion...will this work?