A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solar roof (sunroof) groan/mooing during last few closing inches

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar roof (sunroof) groan/mooing during last few closing inches

When searching I find countless issues with wind deflector and solar roof motor noises. All related to those things, but none about the issue I have, I only found some people saying they experience the same without solutions.

I've cleaned and lubricated the tracks of my solar roof but nothing changed the very low pitched squeel during the final 4 inches or so when closing it. Sounds like rubber over rubber.
I also lubricated the outside seal that mates with the roof of the car.

It is definitely not the wind deflector making the sound whilst moving downward or any part of the motors. It's somewhere in the sliding mechanism.

Any ideas of a sunroof expert?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:14 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Daandaman
When searching I find countless issues with wind deflector and solar roof motor noises. All related to those things, but none about the issue I have, I only found some people saying they experience the same without solutions.

I've cleaned and lubricated the tracks of my solar roof but nothing changed the very low pitched squeel during the final 4 inches or so when closing it. Sounds like rubber over rubber.
I also lubricated the outside seal that mates with the roof of the car.

It is definitely not the wind deflector making the sound whilst moving downward or any part of the motors. It's somewhere in the sliding mechanism.

Any ideas of a sunroof expert?
I am not a sunroof expert, but another thing I'd do is reset the "pinch protection" (I think its' called that?) mechanism or do a manual adaptation. To do this I believe (you can search the forum and find it): put the sunroof switch to closed position and wait for the sunroof to close (if it isn't already). Now pull down on the switch that would normally close the sunroof from its "tilt" position (not sunroof open, but tilt open) and hold it down until the sunroof comes alive and it will move open and closed. You will hear it make that grinding noise at this time, if I recall correctly, near the same position you do now. I did this manual adaptation and it didn't fix my grinding noise - mine still grinds near the end of the sunroofs movement - but this is what I was told to do by someone else and have been told this works.

If you have a Vag-com/VCDS, I think you can do this adaptation thru the module that controls the sunroof under basic settings..look up info on the forum or on Ross techs website

If this doesn't solve it I recall people removing the cover to their front dome light and there being something in there they disconnect and reconnect some cable and all together a more thorough reset/reprogram/etc of the sunroof.

I am on my phone and can't search the forum AND be typing this at the moment but the procedure is somewhere here for sure.

My continuing grinding near the end of the close does not seem to me to be a big deal as I keep the rails greased up and clean, clear of obstructions, and I haven't noticed it becoming more difficult for it to open or close. It could be that the motor is going to go out someday sooner or later.. but for now I'll enjoy it until I reach that bridge.

Regards,
Naui
Old 05-26-2019, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
I am not a sunroof expert, but another thing I'd do is reset the "pinch protection" (I think its' called that?) mechanism or do a manual adaptation. To do this I believe (you can search the forum and find it): put the sunroof switch to closed position and wait for the sunroof to close (if it isn't already). Now pull down on the switch that would normally close the sunroof from its "tilt" position (not sunroof open, but tilt open) and hold it down until the sunroof comes alive and it will move open and closed. You will hear it make that grinding noise at this time, if I recall correctly, near the same position you do now. I did this manual adaptation and it didn't fix my grinding noise - mine still grinds near the end of the sunroofs movement - but this is what I was told to do by someone else and have been told this works.

If you have a Vag-com/VCDS, I think you can do this adaptation thru the module that controls the sunroof under basic settings..look up info on the forum or on Ross techs website

If this doesn't solve it I recall people removing the cover to their front dome light and there being something in there they disconnect and reconnect some cable and all together a more thorough reset/reprogram/etc of the sunroof.

I am on my phone and can't search the forum AND be typing this at the moment but the procedure is somewhere here for sure.

My continuing grinding near the end of the close does not seem to me to be a big deal as I keep the rails greased up and clean, clear of obstructions, and I haven't noticed it becoming more difficult for it to open or close. It could be that the motor is going to go out someday sooner or later.. but for now I'll enjoy it until I reach that bridge.

Regards,
Naui
Hey Naui, thanks for the suggestion. However I already did the calibration and I'm sure it's a result of rubbing and not one of the motors or gearing.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

i actually have the same issue and use my hands to help the sunroof 'finish' closing. It has not stopped from closing so i haven't tackled the issue. I'm thinking the motor is weak or dying?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Aceler8
i actually have the same issue and use my hands to help the sunroof 'finish' closing. It has not stopped from closing so i haven't tackled the issue. I'm thinking the motor is weak or dying?
It has been raining a lot lately so didn't have much chances to try again to see where surfaces are dragging. I might take out the ceiling liner soon to check the mechanical workings and perhaps there are spots in the drive that need the grease redone. Had some other spots in the car where that was necessary because it dries up. Like in the bearing surface between the window mechanism cable wheel and shaft. In the bottom. Makes for a strange sounding window when that wheel remains stationary and the cable rides over it. (There are 4 wheels per window)