A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some observations W12 vs S600

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some observations W12 vs S600

Some observations: 2006 Audi W12 vs 2007 MB S600

Have driven the S600 for only a week but have spent a lot of time in the car and know it pretty well. What follows is only my opinion...nothing more. Keep in mind that I'm comparing an 06 model Audi to an 07 MB and lots of things happen in 1 model year.

The W12 interior looks better. Seat piping and rich paneling beat the S600.
Outside styling is toss-up to me. I'm learning to like the S600. Never was that enamored with the W12.

I like the W12 Bose sound system better than the S600 600 watt Harman Kardon.

Ride comfort...pretty much a toss-up. When "Comfort" position is selected in the S600, the ride is extremely smooth...near Rolls Royce quality. In that mode the car starts out in 2nd gear. Not to worry, there is plenty of power. And if there is need you can push down and it will go into 1st and pin you back in your seat.

Quietness is about the same. Perhaps the W12 is a little quieter on acceleration...but not at cruising speed. They are both quiet.

Transmission is much better in S600...silky smooth. It only has 5 speeds. MB doesn't feel their 12 cylinder models need more than that. I assumed that my cruising rpm would be higher. No so, 65mph=1700 rpm. My W12 wanted to get into 6th gear as soon as possible. As a result, when accelerating from a moderate speed (55 mph) meant downshift...even with slight accelerator pressure. The S600 doesn't do that. With 510hp and 612 lbs. ft. of torque from 1800 rpm, it will leap forward without downshifting. I like that.

The S600 obviously has more power than the W12. And it is very noticeable. Car & Driver puts it this way. "The S600 blasts to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. Know what that means? To 60 mph, this 2.5-ton Teuton is quicker than:
1. A Porsche 911 Carrera S.
2. A Chevrolet Corvette convertible.
3. A Ferrari 612 Scaglietti F1."
The power is smooth and there is absolutely NO turbo lag.

Command selection is more intuitive in S600. It's similar to MMI and easy to use.

Night vision and backup cameras in the S600 are very functional. Night vision does not use the Nav screen. It is projected over the speedometer. The Speedometer is converted to a bar graph at bottom. Sounds awkward but it's not.

Nav system is better in S600. Screen is much larger and will swivel in either direction.

The W12 is loaded with functions...don't know that anyone would consistently use them all. The S600 has even more. There are 7 pages of voice commands.

W12 presented me with multiple problems (issues for you younger guys) from the start. My delivery had to be postponed for a day. The MMI would not function...just blank screen. They worked on it most of the night and much of the next day. I threatened to cancel the deal...which I wish I had done. They had to cannibalize an XM sat receiver from another A-8. Then I was confronted with numerous squeaks and rattles. They removed the dash and door panels and filled them with foam and velcro tape...took several trips to fix this. But worst was the transmission hard downshift. I identified this to the dealer on the second day. After checking with Audi they told me that I needed to drive it for 1,000 miles. Eventually Audi changed some parts but it never worked right. In contrast, I can not find one single thing wrong with the S600. In perusing some of the MB forums, I find this is not uncommon. The new S550 and S600 owners seem to be quite happy. It is a contrast from this Audi forum.

Both cars are good ...if they function properly. My W12 did not. So far my S600 does.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 AM

Default I would have to agree but... (and I know you already said this)

You are comparing a 2007 S600 to a 2006 W12 but the 2006 is also based on the original 2003 A8L.

I do believe they cost about the same right now from the dealer which is why anyone with a brain would buy the S600 over the W12 if they were to go out and do it today.

So, on one hand, I think you are comparing apples and oranges. On the other hand, if they are in the same price range then the comparison is 100% legitimate.

I have a 2004 A8L. It's coming off lease in the next few months and I will be seriously considering MB S Class. I know many here don't like the look of the new S. I think it looks so much better than the old S. I love the new S class styling.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As my lease on an 04A8L ends I contemplate a change as well.

After reading about all the great gadgetry in the new S series I have become very intrigued. My wife and I do love the A8, but it did have it's share of problems. Minor things like the trunk motor (changed twice) and occasional MMI problems are all I could complain about. Strangely, I see more newer MBs on the side of the road and on flatbeds than ever. This is just an observation and not a condemnation of the cars. I suppose if I really wanted reliability then my choice should be the new Lexus LS600. Every Lexus I have been in felt very solid with good quality. I have never felt the connection with the road like I do in German sedans. For my wife and kids, solid reliability and customer service rank number one.

BTW, the night vision sounds simply astounding. That alone would sell the car to me. You can tell I'm a technogeek. Of course Lexus can park itself (my wife would love that).
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An S-class I rode rattled like crazy

During my recent trip to Los Angeles, the car service company I used drove me in a virtually brand new (less than 1 week old) MB S 550. I'm not sure if the driver put the suspension in sport mode, but the car rattled like crazy. The empty front passenger seat vibrated visibly, headliner rattled, rear door rattled, suspension buzzed over expansion joints, etc. I've never been in a car 100% noise free over rought pavement, even Lexus models, but the S class was ridiculous. Maybe this car was built right before the August holidays in Germany. The driver said he liked his prior S class much better, which was an AMG model.

Interestingly, I rode in an A8L car service car the day before. Noticeably quieter (not completely rattle free) and had a smoother ride.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Some observations W12 vs S600

good, im happy you enjoy the S600...its a nice car. Its unfortunate you got a lemon W12...but of course you hear more problems in the A8 forums then the W12 problems...its been 3 years since the A8 was launched and things are bound to go wrong within that period. TheS550 and 600 are new...of course there will be high praises initially like always..but let time take its course, we shall see how good MB really is, in terms of reliability and design holding up.

Audi 4 ever
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: As my lease on an 04A8L ends I contemplate a change as well.

I don't disagree with you about the Lexus. I bought my first LS in 1990. I have had 7 more since then. I wish they had a 12 cylindar model with a little more pop. But I understand the h600 will take care of that. Lexus says it will have acceleration and power similar to European 12 cylindar cars...and a price tag as well.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO, the A8 W12 should have the Bentley engine

the NA engine is not competitive with what MB offers in this segment