A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprise ,Surprise!! Just picked up a 05 W12 for $3,000

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Surprise ,Surprise!! Just picked up a 05 W12 for $3,000

I got lucky guys!!
Was looking for a a8 non running so I can use for parts.
The Seller sent me pics saying its running . tags are still current.

Interior is **** , has check engine for lean codes and it “had”suspension leak. Had an extra air strut laying around , popped it in ,stopped leak and I’ve driven it now about 100 miles. Had to add green menu on Mmi to add suspension and battery level, reverse camera is next .

it has rear entertainment system, electric side sunshades , two cool features I didn’t think I’d ever get . I could not find the options codes label in the trunk. I can’t narrow down the color .It looks purple at times and it looks Greyish-blue at other times .

So I’m getting lean , mixture codes
obviously air/ fuel problems.
Is there any tips or pointers on troubleshooting ? I have VCDS so measuring values could help but I’m not sure which ones and what to watch for exactly , trouble shooting air/fuel for me is alittle tough. I was going to begin with checking for vacuum leaks. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Christian A; 03-14-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

W12’s are notorious for vacuum leaks. You can bet the hard plastic vacuum lines, particularly those routed round the back of the engine are the culprit. Cracked/snapped from years of being baked. Easy fix in the grand scheme of things.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll buy it for $3100.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool thanks Dave ! My previous experience with same lean codes on a Porsche Cheyenne turbo were different, the Cayenne never gave me any hesitation at heavy throttle but it affected my idle.

With the W12, idle is perfect and all operation is great until you apply heavy load , than I get hesistation ,and sputtering . At moderate/low throttle its smooth and excellent.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian A
Cool thanks Dave ! My previous experience with same lean codes on a Porsche Cheyenne turbo were different, the Cayenne never gave me any hesitation at heavy throttle but it affected my idle.

With the W12, idle is perfect and all operation is great until you apply heavy load , than I get hesitation ,and sputtering . At moderate/low throttle its smooth and excellent.
I agree with Dave on vacuum leaks. You could be getting lean misfires or further issues but need to the lean codes and retest. Congrats on finding a W12. My 05 was great to me before I totaled her.

The color might be Daytona Gray. In 05, brilliant black was the only available black.

Last edited by TSHong; 03-14-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:05 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since it is a fuel trim on both banks,

I would test the fuel pumps. I cannot speak to the W12 as there were only ever 14 imported here, but with the V8, the main fuel pump gets weak and causes the same codes and issues.

You can force the secondary fuel pump to work by jumping the relay for it over the battery. Usually this pump is fine as it only works about 30% of the time. If the car runs fine after you jump this pump, then replace the main fuel pump will typically sort the lean codes.

Mike
Old 03-14-2022, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TSHong
I agree with Dave on vacuum leaks. You could be getting lean misfires or further issues but need to the lean codes and retest. Congrats on finding a W12. My 05 was great to me before I totaled her.

The color might be Daytona Gray. In 05, brilliant black was the only available black.
It’s hard to see from my pics ,It looks black but it’s not. Here’s a few pics the seller sent me

Looks purple , looks grey, looks black , looks blue lol I dunno, but I have 2 black phantom pearls(08’ S8 & 09’ A8 ) and this is not black lol I’ll get better pics when I can, is there a way to verify paint using vin?

The w12 was not something I expected to get into so I’m reading up on the D3 tech dump and on the forums,as much as I can to see all any possible vacuum leaks.

Last edited by Christian A; 03-14-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mcs
Since it is a fuel trim on both banks,

I would test the fuel pumps. I cannot speak to the W12 as there were only ever 14 imported here, but with the V8, the main fuel pump gets weak and causes the same codes and issues.

You can force the secondary fuel pump to work by jumping the relay for it over the battery. Usually this pump is fine as it only works about 30% of the time. If the car runs fine after you jump this pump, then replace the main fuel pump will typically sort the lean codes.

Mike
dude! This is a dope idea! I’m going to try this tomorrow .
i did this on the Cayenne as well to rule out bad pump.
just have to find which relay/ relays correct?
Old 03-14-2022, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian A
It’s hard to see from my pics ,It looks black but it’s not. Here’s a few pics the seller sent me

Looks purple , looks grey, looks black , looks blue lol I dunno, but I have 2 black phantom pearls(08’ S8 & 09’ A8 ) and this is not black lol I’ll get better pics when I can, is there a way to verify paint using vin?.
That looks like oyster grey. Same on my 2006. Changes color dependent on sun light almost black at night and when dirty and sunny gets lots of purple. It's a nice and somewhat unique color. With a nice wash and polish it looks terrific.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Am I freakin blind or wth???

Thanks to AudiWorld forums, I was able to read up on some older posts, and someone suggested checking the intake boot for an extra hose that is attached. I also found a few pdf manuals of the W12 design ,looked it over a bit to get an idea of all the possible leaks. damn!, there is a lot, hoses everywhere ! Lol

anyway, going to plug this sucker back in , clear codes and go for another test drive! Wish me luck!

thank guys for all the help and suggestions !!! They will come in handy! something so simple like this can be overlooked .I’m ashamed I didn’t see it considering I spent a good amount of time in there ,cutting/replacing drivers latch after cable disconnected, the first night I got it!! 🤦‍♂️

but that’s for a seperate post ,with pictures. Btw I found options code in manual , it’s oyster grey, you were right, beautiful color

The following 3 users liked this post by Christian A:
aTOMic (03-15-2022), fjord (03-23-2022), Fouraquest (03-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Surprise ,Surprise!! Just picked up a 05 W12 for $3,000