A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension issues

I'm about 3 hours from home and I'm diving down the road all of the sudden the car feels like I'm driving in a bounce house. The yellow and green suspension lights come on. I pulled over to notice that the front end of my car is raised up but the rear is in it's normal position. I tried to lower the car with the MMI but some of the options disappear. Every once in a while the will show the dynamic option but when I switch to dynamic nothing. From digging through the forum, I've shut the car down, locked the doors and let it sit for 20 min. The front end will not come down. I don't have my vag com with me. Is there anything I can do ? Anything I can check ? Is it safe to drive ?

Obviously there's no leaks because I can see the air suspension bags are fully expanded. Any ideas as to what can be wrong ? I did get a headlight level warning for a minute and then it stopped.

By the way 2004 D3 in case its not in my sig.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like your compressor went. IT must have pumped it up all the way to compensate for a leak or something. Wait for the VCDS scan, and sure I would continue driving it, just be careful.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your post.

I think I'm going to have her towed . I tried driving and it doesn't seem too safe. I hit a small dip in the road and the car bounces up and down like in a rap video. I can hear the compressor motor working like it's still trying to pump the front bags up even more. I could not find the position sensor on the front. Any idea as to where the may be located ? One of the post I found had mention it. I'll tinker with it until the flat bed gets here.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Pull the fuse on the compressor, you don't want to burn it out. Odds are it's fine at the moment, but if that keeps running, you'll soon be adding a compressor to the repair list.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like a bad level sensor on the front axle to me. It thinks its lower than it is, hence why it's trying to raise it up and the compressor is running. Enable jacking mode, see if that calms it down as that disables the auto leveling function.

Either way, you need a vcds scan to be sure.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got the car home late last night , I figure I would leave it until morning. Got up and was a little relieved that the front of the car was still high. I figured at the very least I didn't have a leak in the suspension. I got underneath the front and looked (Thanks, dvs dave, you hit it right on the head) the metal arm from the leveling sensor had become detached from the sensor. Some how the plastic "cap" holding the arm on had worn off. As soon as I pushed the pieces together and started the engine, the front end returned to normal position and both the yellow and green suspension lights were off. Everything seems to be working fine. I can't believe I didn't see it yesterday. Now I either need to get a new sensor or figure a way to keep the arm attached while still allowing it to pivot . Thanks to Everyone !!!!

Last edited by flg8r90; 04-21-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for reporting back! love when its a simple and fairly cheap and easy fix!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
thanks for reporting back! love when its a simple and fairly cheap and easy fix!
+1, amazing find. This is the case of NOT lowrider... :-)

Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Apparently its the "bushing" in the metal linkage that failed. The white plastic cap completely crumbled and it look like its deteriorating on the other end also. According to Audi you can't just purchase the linkage , you need to spend the $230 for the whole sensor. Mine was original so I guess after 13 years and 140K miles if something had to give I'm glad that was it. I think a black rubber test tube stopper will fit in the hole and around the bolt and I can use two nylon washers to hold it together until I have time to see if I can print a part on the 3d printer.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Sounds like a bad level sensor on the front axle to me. It thinks its lower than it is, hence why it's trying to raise it up and the compressor is running. Enable jacking mode, see if that calms it down as that disables the auto leveling function.

Either way, you need a vcds scan to be sure.
Well spotted.

Quick Reply: Suspension issues