A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension solenoid valve block and VCDS measurements

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension solenoid valve block and VCDS measurements

(We are currently having suspension issues in another thread located here - but this is a separate question...)

My question is - for an Audi A8 D3 - is it possible to use VCDS to observe values such as:
  1. current accumulator pressure
  2. and individual strut pressures

I see that they're available as an option in VCDS - but all of the readings show up as "N/A."

Is that because the solenoid valve block in the D3 alternates between the five readings? Is that option only available in later-year models (i.e., a more advanced solenoid valve block?)

The obsolete Audi Resource Page does not list that as an available reading for the D3 model.

Just curious if those data values are just not available to the D3 owners, or if something is wrong on my end.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by njroute22
(We are currently having suspension issues in another thread located here - but this is a separate question...)

My question is - for an Audi A8 D3 - is it possible to use VCDS to observe values such as:
  1. current accumulator pressure
  2. and individual strut pressures

I have an old VCDS, I provide them my serial number. They would give me a quote for their rates, but they usually answer my immediate question for free.

You can post a question on their board.

This is the original post found about pumping manually... https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ually-2893721/

suspension emergency air

The basic design above is based on simplicity as well as flexibility for your need . The one above if for an emergency manual pump up. I don't know if it will work with the HVAC connector. if it doesn't just get one that does fit r22. You can use HVAC gauges to measure pressure readings.
Most tire gauges only go slightly above 100 psi.

Since you are getting height and deviation get the pressure and do the math.... Graph the height and pressure relationship.

One of my ideas is to put a T connector on each of the connector to the valve block.

The Audi pump is rated at 217.557 psi MAX I think. There is a post by mishar on the pressure rating of the suspension system

Interestingly enough the magic number is 200 whether for connectors or air line. Rated I believe means sustained/consistently.

The quick but more expensive route to measure your pressure will be to just use the above and attach TPMS for trucks the ones that look like fat valve covers. (200+ psi according to the specs)

I have done the research, I have not seen a Quick connect with a plastic body rated above the 230 psi mark. RMT the most popular company that sells air line repair kits use only plastic body quick-connect. I haven't heard any stories of people complaining that their air lines or connectors are bursting. If you want to be sure you are getting 230 psi rated connectors check the specs with the metal body ones. . They are like at least $50 each. If you buy the plastic ones, you get a ton of connectors for your $50

I haven't really determined if the OEM air lines are nylon or polyurethane. I forgot which one why type is more expensive than the other. The price difference here is marginal.
RMT..does not provide PSI ratings. The Key is the quick connect. RMT is a for profit company. Why will they include plastic pipes rated above 230 PSI, if the plastic connectors are rated less?

In all probability, the people buying these repair kits for their air lines are just getting parts rated for less than 200 psi.

Match your needs to your imagination.

Last edited by maxandtara; 07-02-2022 at 03:17 PM. Reason: max pump psi