A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There A Cheap Diagnostic Cable For D3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is There A Cheap Diagnostic Cable For D3

I have owned other older Audi's and Vw cars in the past and i was able to use my cheap ebay obd2 cable with vcds lite to scan for errors etc. Is there a budget diagnostic cable available for the Audi A8 D3 ? Im not in need of at the moment but i would consider buying one as long as they are not too expensive.

cheers guys
Old 11-24-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I think Carista is a cheaper option, but it depends on your definition of cheap. I use the HEX-CAN cable from Rosstech
Old 11-25-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Carista is not a "cable" Rather, it is a bluetooth "dongle", which is a small device that fits in the OBDII socket. Installed, it protrudes on a 1/2" or so, unlike some other devices which you can bump loose with your knee.

The dongle itself sells for $40. You "read" the codes, etc on a smart phone by downloading a free app for either apple or android. It has served my purposes well, including recently enabling my hidden manual and resetting service reminder. It is entirely possible to scan while you are driving (note same caution as driving and texting). I only do it when stopped at intersections, etc). Carista will give codes and brief explanation, not just a number.

Above and beyond scanning, Carista offers a pro package for a yearly subscription of $39. With the pro package, you can do other things, including opening your electronic parking brake motors to replace rear pads. there are a few other recent features which enables gauge needle sweep on start up. (I'm not sure if this has any function other than to "look cool". Another option turns on you gauges lights as opposed to only lighting with headlights turned on.

Other "cheap" devices are in fact, a device with an attached cable and give codes only. These can be purchased from autoparts stores for as little as $20.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I think Carista is a cheaper option, but it depends on your definition of cheap. I use the HEX-CAN cable from Rosstech
Thanks for the suggestion, the Carista is fine as far price goes but im not so sure about subsrcibing to the full service.

Originally Posted by audijim113
Carista is not a "cable" Rather, it is a bluetooth "dongle", which is a small device that fits in the OBDII socket. Installed, it protrudes on a 1/2" or so, unlike some other devices which you can bump loose with your knee.

The dongle itself sells for $40. You "read" the codes, etc on a smart phone by downloading a free app for either apple or android. It has served my purposes well, including recently enabling my hidden manual and resetting service reminder. It is entirely possible to scan while you are driving (note same caution as driving and texting). I only do it when stopped at intersections, etc). Carista will give codes and brief explanation, not just a number.

Above and beyond scanning, Carista offers a pro package for a yearly subscription of $39. With the pro package, you can do other things, including opening your electronic parking brake motors to replace rear pads. there are a few other recent features which enables gauge needle sweep on start up. (I'm not sure if this has any function other than to "look cool". Another option turns on you gauges lights as opposed to only lighting with headlights turned on.

Other "cheap" devices are in fact, a device with an attached cable and give codes only. These can be purchased from autoparts stores for as little as $20.
Jim thanks for going into details regarding the Carista. It does sound ideal for basic needs. I dont know if i will ever need it for doing advanced things but reading and resetting fault codes is mainly what i would use it for. Im glad to say i have no engine lights on at the moment. I guess i could subscribe to the full app if something cropped up like the need to replace the brake shoes. It seems ideal for basic diagnostic use and well worth considering. Many thanks.

Is the only way to get a fully functioning cable by purchasing a genuine Rosstech cable?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I do like the Rosstech cable, as there are a lot of other things you can do with it and nearly all of the assistance people offer here is based off of the idea of you using it. Also you can do a number of modifications to your car, including adjusting the ride height.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
I have owned other older Audi's and Vw cars in the past and i was able to use my cheap ebay obd2 cable with vcds lite to scan for errors etc. Is there a budget diagnostic cable available for the Audi A8 D3 ? Im not in need of at the moment but i would consider buying one as long as they are not too expensive.

cheers guys
Once you've bought an A8, the Ross Tech cable IS cheap, even at £300. I finally bought one two years ago and immediately regretted not buying one years beforehand; it's invaluable [had the car 9 years]

Bear in mind it's not just a fault reader; it does service resets, lets you adapt the control modules, check the state of the optical loop devices, read the battery manager logs and measure the control module data blocks in real time.

Wait and see when you get a light on in the panel; you'll realise how useful the VCDS is in diagnosing the fault. I very quickly identified a series of brake and ABS alerts [multiple red and yellow lights] as the rear right ABS sensor, by reading the ABS ECU in real time and discovering the right rear wheel speed was 0mph at road speed.

Julian

Last edited by JulianHicks; 11-25-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add extra info.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I do like the Rosstech cable, as there are a lot of other things you can do with it and nearly all of the assistance people offer here is based off of the idea of you using it. Also you can do a number of modifications to your car, including adjusting the ride height.
Many thanks, adjusting the ride height would be great too.

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
Once you've bought an A8, the Ross Tech cable IS cheap, even at £300. I finally bought one two years ago and immediately regretted not buying one years beforehand; it's invaluable [had the car 9 years]
Bear in mind it's not just a fault reader; it does service resets, lets you adapt the control modules, check the state of the optical loop devices, read the battery manager logs and measure the control module data blocks in real time.
Wait and see when you get a light on in the panel; you'll realise how useful the VCDS is in diagnosing the fault. I very quickly identified a series of brake and ABS alerts [multiple red and yellow lights] as the rear right ABS sensor, by reading the ABS ECU in real time and discovering the right rear wheel speed was 0mph at road speed.

Julian
Yes these cables sound great and a good investment if you have it over a long period of time. I have only used the cheap cables in the past and they were fine for basic fault scanning and clearing fault codes. If i got into a situation where i badly needed one then it is something i would consider. The Carista one should do the job for basic use and they are only £15.

Looking at the Ross Tech cable, the fact you only get to use it with 3 cars and you pay £225 this is daylight robbery, If you buy the cable you should be free to use it at many times as you wish and with as many cars as you wish. Im tempted to lower my car though as it does look good just sitting a little bit lower, i see many people have done this so i assume there is no negative affects of doing this.

Last edited by revelator1969; 11-26-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Neiko

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VAG-COM-USB...cAAOSwtGlZJYgk

There are a lot of options on ebay like this. these work pretty good and don't break the pocket.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Be careful, there are a lot of fraudulent products on ebay! The wrong ones will not be fully functional.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by revelator1969
Im tempted to lower my car though as it does look good just sitting a little bit lower, i see many people have done this so i assume there is no negative affects of doing this.
Speed bumps can be an issue especially if you are in Texas. These idiots are speed bump crazy. If they would spend more money on proper signage instead of speed bumps, things would improve dramatically. Those who say Texas signage is good don't know what good signage is.

Quick Reply: Is There A Cheap Diagnostic Cable For D3