A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help

Hello, I have a D3 and two days ago I was driving and got a message on the screen with a picture of a key and it said ignition switch. When I got to my destination my car would not shut off and I could not get the key out. After playing around with it for about 5 min I was able to get the key out. For the past 2 days the error message has not come back on and the car shuts off fine but now it doesn't want to start. It takes 3 to 5 mins of working the key and praying for the car to start. As luck would have it I am in the middle of a move and my VagCom is in a box somewhere in a storage unit. My gut tells me that the switch needs to be replaced. What do you think? If so, I have 2 questions: 1. Does replacing the switch require and programming or can I just swap it out? 2. Are any special tools needed? Being that it is part of the dash and not the steering column I am guessing it is a fairly straight forward job.

This is the message that I got.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well tonight it wouldn't start at all. I tried for about 15 min and then just got a ride home from work. One thing that appears to be new is that the remote no longer works to lock or unlock the door. I think it was working yesterday but I am not 100%. Also the instrument panel lights do not come on. I ordered a new switch and it will be here Sat. To be clear, when I say it won't start I mean that it is not even trying to start. Does not turn over at all. I don't believe this to be a battery issue but I will confirm that. Right now my best bet is that it is the switch. Has anyone done this job before? Any special tools or programming?

Last edited by krazzz; 11-08-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by krazzz
Well tonight it wouldn't start at all. I tried for about 15 min and then just got a ride home from work. One thing that appears to be new is that the remote no longer works to lock or unlock the door. I think it was working yesterday but I am not 100%. Also the instrument panel lights do not come on. I ordered a new switch and it will be here Sat. To be clear, when I say it won't start I mean that it is not even trying to start. Does not turn over at all. I don't believe this to be a battery issue but I will confirm that. Right now my best bet is that it is the switch. Has anyone done this job before? Any special tools or programming?
Did you use a different key to try? Change the battery? Check the battery with DVM?
Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello, I have a D3 and two days ago I was driving and got a message on the screen with a picture of a key and it said ignition switch. .

Hello Krazzz,
Are you sure it said "ignition switch", as I have never seen nor heard of that when I had my 04, nor in my 05 W12, but I have seen the "Key not in vehicle" warning, where did you get the picture you posted referencing "ignition switch" ?

Attached Thumbnails Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help-20171108_192108.jpg   Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help-20171108_192308.jpg  

Last edited by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT; 11-08-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I would read this one.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

What Louis said,
check the keyfob battery, also as Louis' link points to, do you have any wetness on or below your carpets, your KESSY/IMMO module is under the carpet on the drivers front side.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The Keyfob Battery...

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
What Louis said,
check the keyfob battery, also as Louis' link points to, do you have any wetness on or below your carpets, your KESSY/IMMO module is under the carpet on the drivers front side.
...has nothing to do with the key failing to work in the ignition. When you use your key this way, an inductive circuit in in the ignition switch excites the RFID chip in the keyfob and interrogates the key for authorization to start the car. This is a feature along with the mechanical lock under the drivers side external door handle allowing entry the car and starting when the keyfob battery is dead or the remote transmitter is broken. To test this, take the battery out of your remote and try it in the ignition!

Hate to say it, but this is a tow to the dealer situation.
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default This is From The Manual

Hello, I have a D3 and two days ago I was driving and got a message on the screen with a picture of a key and it said ignition switch. When I got to my destination my car would not shut off and I could not get the key out. After playing around with it for about 5 min I was able to get the key out. For the past 2 days the error message has not come back on and the car shuts off fine but now it doesn't want to start. It takes 3 to 5 mins of working the key and praying for the car to start. As luck would have it I am in the middle of a move and my VagCom is in a box somewhere in a storage unit. My gut tells me that the switch needs to be replaced. What do you think? If so, I have 2 questions: 1. Does replacing the switch require and programming or can I just swap it out? 2. Are any special tools needed? Being that it is part of the dash and not the steering column I am guessing it is a fairly straight forward job.

Ignition Lock Malfunction

A Malfunction in the ignition lock must be repaired immediately.

If the (Symbol Above) in the display blinks, there is a malfunction in the electronic ignition lock. An additional driver message can also be displayed by pressing the CHECK button:

Ignition lock defective. Contact workshop!

- Do NOT turn the engine off.
- Drive immediately to an authorized Audi dealer to have the malfunction corrected.

If there is a malfunction in the electronic ignition lock, the ignition cannot be turned off. Drive immediately to an authorized Audi dealer to have the cause of the malfunction corrected.
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Did you use a different key to try? Change the battery? Check the battery with DVM?
Yes, I used two different keys. Both had been working in the last week.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
Hate to say it, but this is a tow to the dealer situation.
Unfortunately the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away and I don't trust that dealership. I'm going to have to try a few other options first.

Quick Reply: Think I need to replace ignition switch- Help