A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between an A8 short or A8L. Anyone have any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between an A8 short or A8L. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not how long... :-)

Personal preference and who's riding in back. Resale on the D2 A8 greatly favored the L version. Short version is sportier, however, when the S8 comes out guys will want that a whole lot more than the short body A8. I'd go with the L. That's just me.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default For starters, I'd consider the choice as being between an A8 standard and an A8 long wheelbase

When 196+" cars are considered short, then we're all in trouble.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Trying to decide between an A8 short or A8L. Anyone have any thoughts?

I own an 05 8, and am getting an 06 8L.

Anyway, having driven both (swb and Lwb, not the 06) I can say that the difference is noticeable in that handling is tighter and it's quicker off the line.

But, neither of these differences is night and day. What I have found that's meaningful is that the backseat is a bit compromised on the swb. With adults in the back, you have to be careful how far you move the fronts seats back. Plus, my kids kick the darn seatbacks--arrrg. When you add in that the ride is smoother on the L, it gets my vote.

To mitigate some handling losses, I've ordered the sport package. Still not sure what the heck that is, but I suppose I will find out!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default What are you looking for?

If looks is one of them, I think the A8 beats the A8L hands down, both on the D2 and D3.

As stated above, if you have adults (or even kids) in the back seat, you have to be careful how far to put the seat back. But unless you're a relator that drives your clients around, how often do you have somebody in the back seat?

When I get one, it will be a A8....hopefully with the sport package and the B&O stereo plus the large grill......

Or maybe it will just be a S8!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just to confuse the issue, I believe that the A8L, both D2 and D3,

is unparalleled in its looks and stature!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Agreed, the swb has a different look

than the L when seen from the side. Ok, ok, this may be obvious, but if you look at them through the hind quarters (and who doesn't like to do that!) the L is more elegant while the swb is a bit forshortened looking.

If you read into this that in my opionin the L is better looking, you're right! And this from a guy who owns the swb.

From another perspective, I pointed this out to my wife, and she says "I think they both look good."

So there you have it.

My suggestion, as made elsewhere: get what you like!
Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It depends what is important to you .....

I own the SWB version and really enjoy it, I think it looks better and handles a little better. But these are subjective and you need to test both.
If you intend to carry customers or family - I do little of either - you might find the space in the rear of the SWB a little tight. This was a surprise to me for such a big car but the rear legroom of the SWB is on the small side.
No matter which you choose, you will enjoy the car.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:48 AM

How big around?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get the parktronic no matter which model you choose.

Just guessing that you're in NYC, so parking may be an issue for you. The SWB may be a bit easier in that respect. Personally I like the extra space behind the driver's seat. My laptop bag fits there w/o having to squeeze in like it did in my A6 4.2.

Another thing that you may have to be careful of is scraping the bottom of the car (underneath the driver) when entering parking lots. There are a few lots where the entrances are a bit 'steep'. I've had this happen twice when in dynamic mode.

Either way you're going to get a great car.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between an A8 short or A8L. Anyone have any thoughts?