A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent..bottom air box channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent..bottom air box channel

Hello!

It's my first time cleaning my air filters. When I removed them, I noticed a channel in the center of the bottom part. Can someone tell me what are they for.

I got some dirt inside of the, and I'm wondering if it's ok to leave it in there or if I should blow it out.

Thank alot,
Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

If same as W12, that is where the secondary air injection pumps--also known in the old days as the smog pump--draw air, which was supposed to be filtered. The power steering reservoir should be under there too and should be checked any time you have the air box open. But the bottom air box section needs to come out for that. Keep reading...

Yes, clean it out. Really, really thoroughly and carefully. Make sure you don't have a breach in the air lines too, and don't get dust or dirt or grit go down that center bottom hole. The bottom air line goes from the center of the bottom of the box to the air pumps. But if someone really wanted to get the box out and did not know what he was doing, someone may have pulled so hard the lower plastic line tore apart. In that case, it will suck air into the box right there, which will be past the air filter and get right into the motor via both the main air intake on that side and the air broken injection hose during cold start ups. To check it or to remove the lower part of the box, you need to pull away the fender liner on the front driver's side (for an LHD car) and reach in. It uses a plastic squeeze type clamp like the oil vapor lines do by the motor. If it is disconnected fix it of course and if it is broken in any way, given your obvious dusty environment replace it.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-14-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ohh Boy!

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
If same as W12, that is where the secondary air injection pumps--also known in the old days as the smog pump--draw air, which was supposed to be filtered. The power steering reservoir should be under there too and should be checked any time you have the air box open. But the bottom air box section needs to come out for that. Keep reading...

Yes, clean it out. Really, really thoroughly and carefully. Make sure you don't have a breach in the air lines too, and don't get dust or dirt or grit go down that center bottom hole. The bottom air line goes from the center of the bottom of the box to the air pumps. But if someone really wanted to get the box out and did not know what he was doing, someone may have pulled so hard the lower plastic line tore apart. In that case, it will suck air into the box right there, which will be past the air filter and get right into the motor via both the main air intake on that side and the air broken injection hose during cold start ups. To check it or to remove the lower part of the box, you need to pull away the fender liner on the front driver's side (for an LHD car) and reach in. It uses a plastic squeeze type clamp like the oil vapor lines do by the motor. If it is disconnected fix it of course and if it is broken in any way, given your obvious dusty environment replace it.
So, after reading your post, I tried to clean as much as I could. There're a few particles that I couldn't get to. I'm due service soon, I'll try to mention this to the guys in the shop and let them have a look. I hope I didn't mess things up.

Regarding the power steering reservoir, I was looking around and couldn't see it until I was closing up. I found it towards the front headlight. However, It's hard to reach without removing the lower part of the box.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by The.aviator2
So, after reading your post, I tried to clean as much as I could. There're a few particles that I couldn't get to. I'm due service soon, I'll try to mention this to the guys in the shop and let them have a look. I hope I didn't mess things up.

Regarding the power steering reservoir, I was looking around and couldn't see it until I was closing up. I found it towards the front headlight. However, It's hard to reach without removing the lower part of the box.

Thank you very much for your help.
Yes, lower box has to be removed to get to power steering reservoir to check level. That's why I am more suspicious someone maybe yanked to hard on the bottom part of the air box without knowing the set up. The hose will not pull loose all the way until it breaks, unless it is properly released at the squeeze fitting right under the box. You just have to know it is there and that the way to get it is to pull out the nearby plastic fender liner in that area.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, lower box has to be removed to get to power steering reservoir to check level. That's why I am more suspicious someone maybe yanked to hard on the bottom part of the air box without knowing the set up. The hose will not pull loose all the way until it breaks, unless it is properly released at the squeeze fitting right under the box. You just have to know it is there and that the way to get it is to pull out the nearby plastic fender liner in that area.
I did look down the holes and I can see the hoses are hooked up in both sides.
Thanks for you help.