A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent! How to bleed ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it seems to depend how loose you have the bleeder screw. If you loosen too much, you draw a little air around the threads of the bleeder. When you bottle is below the bleeder screw, you create a siphon, helping to draw the air in. When the bottle is above the screw there is some backpressure, so it doesnt draw air in. You will probably see a little brake fluid weeping out around the threads too.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the video - I agree, it must be air around the threads.
Cheap fix!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sense. And yes, very happy this all worked out.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What am I typing wrong in my search??

Originally Posted by bmwm750
Exactly. This is why I love pressure bleeders to FLUSH fluid through, but I still finish the job by BLEEDING the "old fashioned way" by pumping non-pressurized/ non-agitated fluid through using a helper on the brake master.

You'll also notice that the true professional grade pressure bleeders use a rubber diaphragm to separate the chamber that holds brake fluid from the pressurized air chamber (typically shop air on these units). This is to avoid pushing air into the fluid the way the Motive units do (there's just no way around this short of physically separating the chambers).
I find myself here time and time again looking at info that is the exact opposite from what I searched. Maybe it's me maybe it's google, maybe I'm the only wide body owner that has any issue ever!! I don't know! I apologize for being off topic . I need help bleeding my brakes WITHOUT the bleeder valve! The previous owner has broke every bleeder off. Is there a way I can bleed mine without the bleeder by myself with out replacing every caliper???? Thank you in advance for any input
Old 09-06-2021, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Otte's Audi
I find myself here time and time again looking at info that is the exact opposite from what I searched. Maybe it's me maybe it's google, maybe I'm the only wide body owner that has any issue ever!! I don't know! I apologize for being off topic . I need help bleeding my brakes WITHOUT the bleeder valve! The previous owner has broke every bleeder off. Is there a way I can bleed mine without the bleeder by myself with out replacing every caliper???? Thank you in advance for any input
@Otte's Audi ,
No, there is no other way to bleed, as the feed line come in at the bottom, and the bleeder at the highest point, the bleeder is the only way...

I suggest that you get the old bleeders out by the use of a drill bit and a easy out, be sure to spray them with plenty of penetrating oil, like Deep Creep.

Johnny