A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V10 Engine replacement in my S8? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 Engine replacement in my S8? Really?

I have an '07 S8 with barely 22k miles. The car is perfect in every way. Last week I started hearing a strange ticking/scraping noise coming out of the engine bay. Not quite a knock, but definitely noticeable. Speeds up as engine revs rise. Sort of like the sound of mechanical lifters in an old '60s iron block American V8 going bad.

I took it to the dealer for investigation, and they kept it for a couple of days before calling to say they couldn't figure it out but they think I NEED A NEW ENGINE. (!) WTF???!!! They were kind enough to add, "of course it will be under warranty..." She said they were going to check with Audi USA to clear it.

Does anyone on here know engines well enough to understand what could lead a technician to that conclusion, just from a little ticking noise in the engine bay? The car was still running strong, bellowing loudly under acceleration, not spewing oil or anything. In fact, the "check engine light" had not even come on.

Is the Stealership trying to rip off Audi USA at my expense? This is a reputable dealer and the best Audi dealership in Denver (Prestige Imports). Should I accept this without a firm diagnosis?

And...is a new engine going to hurt my car's resale value?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't think the dealership is running a scam here...especially since Audi is footing the bill (they have to justify it to them I'm sure).

Also, a new engine would help resale value I would think (less miles on it).
Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default And dealers are subject to...

...audits like any other business. Depending on the type of warranty that is covering the repair, the parts must be kept so they can be examined.

Also, some manufacturers only replace "assemblies." That means that if there is an internal engine (or transmission) problem they replace the entire assembly. They do this because 1) an engine R&R is usually less labor than than an overhaul, 2) the repair is more likely to satisfy the owner, 3) there is less risk of error, and 4) there is less risk of a mis-diagnosis resulting in a return visit where it may need to be torn down again.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Don't complain about a new engine. Graciously accept it. VW did a rebuild on my '01 Beetle Turbo when the timing belt snapped before the recommended 105,000 mile replacement interval. Happened at 92,000 miles. I did not expect that deal. And a deal it was.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah hell I'd love a new engine, especially if it is prone to existing problems, such as a timing chain instead of a timing belt. I know the S8 has a chain, but just saying for explanatory purposes. And if they are ripping off Audi USA lol, well all I can say is LOL. That makes up for them ripping us off all the time.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mountainhigh
I have an '07 S8 with barely 22k miles. The car is perfect in every way. Last week I started hearing a strange ticking/scraping noise coming out of the engine bay. Not quite a knock, but definitely noticeable. Speeds up as engine revs rise. Sort of like the sound of mechanical lifters in an old '60s iron block American V8 going bad.

I took it to the dealer for investigation, and they kept it for a couple of days before calling to say they couldn't figure it out but they think I NEED A NEW ENGINE. (!) WTF???!!! They were kind enough to add, "of course it will be under warranty..." She said they were going to check with Audi USA to clear it.

Does anyone on here know engines well enough to understand what could lead a technician to that conclusion, just from a little ticking noise in the engine bay? The car was still running strong, bellowing loudly under acceleration, not spewing oil or anything. In fact, the "check engine light" had not even come on.

Is the Stealership trying to rip off Audi USA at my expense? This is a reputable dealer and the best Audi dealership in Denver (Prestige Imports). Should I accept this without a firm diagnosis?

And...is a new engine going to hurt my car's resale value?
Hard to say from your description what might be the problem. I would not be concerned about a factory fresh dealer installed engine hurting the car's resale.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update re: New V10 Engine

My dealership called back to say that they have determined that my V10 developed "piston slap" causing a loss of compression in cylinders 8 and 9. Indeed, Audi wants them to swap out my engine with an entirely new long block unit -- complete with all new parts (basically everything under the hood will be brand new). As someone keenly pointed out, this is the easiest thing for them to do. So, I guess that's good for me, as it gives me a brand new engine and all other parts, plus it extends that warranty another 12 months/12,000 miles.

My understanding is that this has happened to a few V10s throughout the model cycle. For anyone contemplating a V10 S8 without a warranty - I imagine this repair bill would run in the tens of thousands of $$$$.

In the meantime, I get to drive an A4 Avant 2.0T loaner around for a month. Yay. Actually, it's a pretty sweet little car.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainhigh
My dealership called back to say that they have determined that my V10 developed "piston slap" causing a loss of compression in cylinders 8 and 9. Indeed, Audi wants them to swap out my engine with an entirely new long block unit -- complete with all new parts (basically everything under the hood will be brand new). As someone keenly pointed out, this is the easiest thing for them to do. So, I guess that's good for me, as it gives me a brand new engine and all other parts, plus it extends that warranty another 12 months/12,000 miles.

My understanding is that this has happened to a few V10s throughout the model cycle. For anyone contemplating a V10 S8 without a warranty - I imagine this repair bill would run in the tens of thousands of $$$$.

In the meantime, I get to drive an A4 Avant 2.0T loaner around for a month. Yay. Actually, it's a pretty sweet little car.
I drove the same, it was nice for a few days but then the slow lag when first setting off starting bugging me, as well as a terrible vibration at stoplights. The lower gears are just too slow!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi my name is Carlos Eduardo Solorzano Mangas im from san jose Costa RIca, i was wondering where you bought the s8 2007 v10 5.2 liter engine because i need one. thanks
Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Ebay

Quick Reply: V10 Engine replacement in my S8? Really?