A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VNS media "AMI" disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default VNS media "AMI" disappointment

Well, probably the most horrific thing I have bought for my car ever.

Installation was...well not a nightmare, but crappy. No instructions for installation or usage whatsover, absolutely zero, not even a PDF on the internet. This is relly the lowest low. Only a video on youtube for an A5 (and that has nothing to do with an A8). If I wouldn't have done this before or been a n00b on audis or cars, I would not have pulled this one off.

Well after installation... well it didn't work at all.

There is a pushbutton that you apparently change between BT, USB, Iphone (you just have to try which you have selected, doesn't say anywhere which input is active)...

Bluetooth didin't work at all, no sound, nothing, it didn't even connect (phone Nokia8 found it), but no sound, and it just said that it doesn't work on the screen.
After some fiddling (don't know what) it started playing A2DP, but apparently no control from the MMI, just BT audio. Again a disappointment.

USB: Won't play anything from my stick, same stick that worked on the original AMI. Not with files in folders, or files at the root of the drive. Total BS.

Iphone functionality I haven't tried, i just hate all rotten apples, and will never buy one.

Just for your info, can't recommend in any way. Cost me 250€ (original used AMI 350-400e) Definetly get the AMI if you don't need BT, and get the AMI even if you need BT, you can buy BT adapters for both 2G and 3G AMI.

So my score:
Installation: F (no instructions, simple as that)
Usage: F (no instructions, whatsoever)
Instructions: F (no instructions available)
Features: C (USB, BT, Iphone), could have had BT control and support for over 32gb stick, if these would have been then A would have been the grade....
Support: F (no support at all)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for JAUX_BT-01 or AMI-V4 modules on the internet. The producer is a company from Poland Juna Electronics.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:31 AM
Back axle behind the ears

May i just ask what you was trying to achieve here then please...??
If you say you can already use USB stick before the install, are you simply just trying to get BT for your car...??
Just interested as I don't see any clear benefit of spending any more than the price of a Bovee or similar, it's $70 or so and you get BT streaming and can control your phone music from the car controls...
Old 06-20-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You're confusing a bit.
The module you write about and other similar "Chinese" have sense when you already have an AMI module in your car.
What if you do not have it?
Then you either buy the original for a lot of money or a much cheaper Juna Electronics module that works identically.

That's why modules are installed.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Could've saved the time of writing this post and all the $$$ you spent if you simply just spent $14...and used your existing AMI. Remember, these cars are from 2004... I wouldn't expect any miracles or new tech out of them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGQMQC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AGQMQC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-24-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1. You should not judge by assumption, I did NOT say i own a factory/auri AMI module! I just said i had installed one of those!

If I would have had an AMI module, I would defineatly have gone for a AMI->BT module IF I would have known you could select songs from the MMI panel.

2. thank you for the JAUX_BT-01 tip, this was very useful!

3. I spent hours searching for stuff on the net and this forum regarding this. VERY POOR INFO EVERYWHERE!

4. I suggest that somebody gathers info on this thing regarding MMI2G and MMI3G, because I did NOT find it anywhere. I can do this if I just get the time. I have several friends with MMI2G and 3G cars searching for this info and saying the same!