A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you miss from your previous Audi vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you miss from your previous Audi vehicle?

I was perusing some other AW forums this morning and noticed one of our newer D3 brothers extolling the virtues of his new purchase. He was explaining how big his car was with the back seat folded down!!! What??? Mine doesn't fold down... then it hit me, he used to drive an A6, and maybe he assumed that the seats in the A8 would fold down just like they did in his A6.

So, it got me thinking, we drive the most luxurious vehicle that Audi makes, however, sometimes I find myself wishing for options that I don't have anymore. Anyone else miss something from your previous Audi that didn't get engineered into the D3? My number one item would be the folding rear seat - there are some times that I could really use the split folding seat - my son plays the bass guitar, and believe it or not, his hardcase is just long enough that it doesn't fit in my trunk! The only way to take it in my car is across the back seat, however, Randy can put part of his back seat down and put it in his trunk without any problem.

One other item. (I've got to put my flame-proof jumpsuit on first) Trying to see around the headrests in the backseat (good thing for the parking sensors) <zipping the jumpsuit> Remember those old headrests with the hole in the middle? yeah, I know they weren't as plush and stylish, but at least you stood a chance of seeing behind you.

Anyone else? We can compile a list and slide it under the door for Greenie's advocates =)
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM

Default No heat from me on the headrests--why

can't they fold down like in a (zip) S-class?

Also with you on the folding seats, but the ski sack condom thingy sure makes bringing home 2x4s from the Depot alot easier.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes the folding seats on my A6 were nice

With a bit of fore thought, the roof rack has been adequate compensation (see my pic of the ladder LOL). Yes the rearward visibility was better in the A6, but other than that, the A8 is so much nicer. The windshield wipers are better than my '00 A6's, I now have satelitte radio, TPMS, in cabin cd's, Nav, better drivers' seat, etc. So I'm not too nostalgic about my previous car, other than is was a bit quicker to wash.

Oh, another way to think of the seats not folding down is the safety issue. In a crash, heavy items in the trunk will not make it into the cabin.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, the ski sack is nice for rake handles and long boards

But sometimes I would like to bring home shelving, or a piece of plywood.

Actually, the headrests on the E class do the little fold down trick - something for Audi to think about.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I always think of your roof rack when I go to the hardware store :-)
Old 10-22-2005, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wish the headrest would fold down

Like the Mercedes-Benz saloon products, one very simple feature that makes a big difference. Raise them when needed, and laying flat and out of the way when not.

I don't miss the folding rear seat as much, especially now that we've just leased a Lexus LX 470 for my wife, that truck (my inlaws can't believe we call it a truck!) has all the cargo space I'll need. Oh yeah, and it will tow my new aluminum trailer loaded with my M3 track car to boot!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Introduce your son to the Flute. :) Can't say I miss anything about my D3,

my AR- missed it yesterday traveling 23 miles up a mountain on a road marked "Primitive." In fact here's how the signing went on this "road." "Primitive" then "Primitive-No Maintenance" and then "No Lawyer Has Ever Traveled Beyond This Point." My D2- miss the simple and beautiful lines of that car. Too bad AOA has seen fit to come out with a front end that reminds me of a locomotive. On the positive side, maybe I'll keep my current car for a while and save some money.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:40 AM

Default I like your current sig photo.

It looks like an audi with the wheels and that chunky C pillar obscured....
Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default g, youll have to do more than "slide" it under the door.

They are tied to the opposite wall! Seeing what the 06 D3 has that the 04 doesnt, Id just be satisfied for the newer model year, although this one aint that bad!!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even the "lowly" Acura RL has power rear headrests.

Quick Reply: What do you miss from your previous Audi vehicle?