A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of the new A8

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, some advocate.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Advocate
Big Miss.

Hopefully the A7 will supercede this lousy design.
At least wait until you see the car in person before you make a final decision. And that also goes for the other people who are bashing the D4 A8/A8L but have yet to see it in person. Sheesh.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sccpmusc26
Unless you have some engine modifications, your 2005 does not have 350hp.
You are correct, 335hp but I believe my point is still valid.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Audi Advocate
Austin - have to disagree - you need power to move these things

To merge, pass and accelerate out of trouble (i.e. those around us) you can use all of the horsepower you can get for the relative weight of the car.
I had both an A6 2.7 and an A6 4.2 - both underpowered for that mass of car.
I guarantee that it makes absolutely no difference in "getting out of trouble" if you have 350 HP or 450 HP. None whatsoever. Your reaction time has a much bigger influence on the "getting out of trouble" factor than anything your car can do.

In 22 years of driving (11 of these on German Autobahns) I have never been in a situation where more power would have helped me get out of "trouble". The whole HP war is to the point of being ridiculous - and given the lower weight of the aluminum A8 vs the S-class and 7 series, I would argue that performance numbers are close to equal between them anyway.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What did you expect for the D4? Do you think that it is too wide? Or that the wheelbase is too long? Yes, the exterior styling could have been more aggressive, but given the evolutionary pace of the A8's design history, it is about at the edge of what I expected. I can understand the disappointment with the power, but did you really expect Audi to one-up MB and BMW in bhp and torque? Surely, you did not expect Audi to produce a D4 for the track. Also, my bet is that the D4 will gain serious market share in the US in particular, but also ROW, as it will be much keener competition for the S Class and 7 Series models in every respect, except for stoplight racers. For that get the Pan turbo for another $50k. Having had an 07 RS4 for a year, as well as other fast cars, I am very pleased with the driving experience of my 08 A8 sport over the past two years and plan to get the D4 next fall.