A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does THIS air suspension scenario suggest ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Audinut,
I would like to buy your left (driver) strut when you replaced it for testing.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-20-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default yes...

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Audinut,
I would like to buy your left (driver) strut when you replaced it for testing.
Cheers,
Louis
I would be very interested in the results of the post mordem. I will PM you after it get installed.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default The car can not acheive 'LIFT' height

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Sounds good. For more conclusive proof, raise it up to lift level, put it in jack mode and then disconnect one of the front sway bar links. That will make the corner drop much more pronounced and be a dead giveaway.
The yellow warning light comes on and the compressor shuts off after a couple minutes of running without the car rising.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These guys seem legit and free shipping. $500 is cheap for one of these!

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
I wonder if these people aren't went a try. Personally, I went with RMT and so far so good:

https://aerosus.com/audi/a8-d3.html
Old 10-20-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Cheap is a relative term, if they work, yes... I would buy the $1200 OEM like Audinut over paying $500+ for these after market struts.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-20-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought my front struts from AM autoparts about 2 years ago and they have been running great. Their prices are very reasonable too, it is worth consideration https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=2426&y=2006
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TEN year warranty?!
im sold.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Cheap is a relative term, if they work, yes... I would buy the $1200 OEM like Audinut over paying $500+ for these after market struts.
Cheers,
Louis
Whoa, Lou is spending more than is absolutely necessary! Mind: BLOWN!

Originally Posted by amsnooze
bought my front struts from AM autoparts about 2 years ago and they have been running great. Their prices are very reasonable too, it is worth consideration https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=2426&y=2006
Cool, keep us updated!

Originally Posted by Greg5OH
TEN year warranty?!
im sold.
The problem is the labor! I experimented with the ultra-cheap "Karlyn" control arms/bushings from FCP Euro and they lasted a whole >4000 miles. (Yes, myself and another experienced mechanic installed it OCD correctly). They (FCP) will now credit me original price towards the (any brand) replacement, plus $50, but the friggin' LABOR involved is why I will go OE on high fail rate + hard-to-install parts in the future!

-Tom
Old 10-21-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
...The shop says they have never seen anything fail except a strut. I have never personally had anything except a strut fail on a D3, and I dont recall anyone here on AW having a failure other than a strut, or a compressor burned out by a leaking strut...
PS Ed,
I just realized my reply had absolutely no helpful info to the OP (Original Problem, in this case)... Sorry to hear about it. I seem to remember sensor issues including incorrectly oriented sensor arms which only required turning around the sensors. Maybe have your VCDS guy see if the suspension height reported to the car seems to correspond to its settings. Has there been a recent adaptation? I think incorrect susp adaptation can cause this, but I'm sure there would be dash lights all the time and susp codes in the scan.

PPS: Best Sig Pic Ever Award! I can't believe you lucked into that building ! You should be a photographer!
-Tom
Old 10-21-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Whoa, Lou is spending more than is absolutely necessary! Mind: BLOWN!

Cool, keep us updated!

The problem is the labor! I experimented with the ultra-cheap "Karlyn" control arms/bushings from FCP Euro and they lasted a whole >4000 miles. (Yes, myself and another experienced mechanic installed it OCD correctly). They (FCP) will now credit me original price towards the (any brand) replacement, plus $50, but the friggin' LABOR involved is why I will go OE on high fail rate + hard-to-install parts in the future!

-Tom
well, i just installed Karlyn control arms from FCP Euro, sucks to know that they will fail so soon but this and strut replacements on both front and one rear was not difficult, time-consuming yes but not hard as long as the main bolt isn't seized. I convinced myself to go with Karlyn because of that 'made in Germany' stamp.

Quick Reply: what does THIS air suspension scenario suggest ?