A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do? They can't find the problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I do? They can't find the problem

My A8 has been in the shop for over 2 weeks now with the same "lean" code from the check engine light. Dealer said they have tried everything, torqued the intake manifold, replaced the Air Mass Meter, swapped the 02 sensor, swapped injectors, swapped ECM.... but they still can't find the problem. There was a Audi field engineer there for two days and he can't find the problem. What should I do? Would contacting Audi America do any good? This is really getting frustrating!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What should I do? They can't find the problem

Very scary when field engineer can't fix the problem. I think it would be a good idea to contact AoA to see what they advise you to do. Maybe a buy back? Even trade on another 04A8? I'm sure someone can/will work something out with you.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well the car runs fine..just the lean code they can't figure out. It's not an Audi CPO so I doubt if they offer me a buy back. The field tech is suppose to get back on it on Monday. I'm going to try to talk with him instead of the service manager.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Possible Solution....Fuel Transfer Pump not hooked to main pump

I don't know what year your car is, but here is my story with a very similar problem....

I bought a 2004 with 36k miles on the car a little less than 2 years ago as a dealer buyback...dealer assured me problem was resolved...2 days later CEL comes on, take it in, lean code, clean MAF, torque heads yada, yada.....

1 Week later same thing happens....goes into shop. Takes 2 weeks, dealer can't figure out the problem. Calls in field engineer..can't find problem...light keeps coming on...

Finally, they contact Audi in Germany who points them to the fuel pump.....BINGO...here was the problem as described to me..

There are 2 fuel pumps in the tank, one is the main pump that feeds the engine and the other is a fuel transfer pump that moves fuel from one side of the tank to the other as the tank is shaped like an upside down "U". obviously the 2 pumps are linked in order to move the fuel. In my car the engineers figured out that the 2 pumps were not likely connected and it turned out they were right. The transfer pump was never connected to the main pump. So, when the tank was not full, the main pump would suck air or something through the fitting that was left unhooked resulting in a lean code. To figure it out they had to drain and drop the tank.

Show the dealer this note...maybe if they run it by the engineers it will make a light go on...once they properly hooked up the 2 pumps my car has been flawless...it is really too bad because nothing was really wrong that couldn't be solved...my car was in the shop 30 days....

Let me know what happens as this really sounds similar to my problem...
Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fuel Pump

Thanks 8Pack,

I'll run this by the field engineer. I asked the service manager about his earlier because I read something about the fuel transfer pump. It kicks in on start up and under loading. I don't think the service manager even pass the word to the techs. I'll make sure I talk to actual techs on Monday. If that turns out to be the problem, I'm not paying them crap for diagnostic because I told them last week about the pump. My warranty will cover failed items, not items disconnected. The dealer had better not try to stick me if that is the problem.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think this might be a "failed connection" rather than a disconnection.....

...might even be a failed transfer pump.

See what he says first...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump

Mine was clearly never connected as it was a problem since new and well documented, thus the buyback.....

Since it is contained within the fuel tank which you could never access, no matter what the nature of the lack of connection it has to be a warranty repair and classified as a break or failure incuding the diagnostics to identify the problem....

Would love to hear back what the dealer says...
Old 05-18-2008, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ALSO, Dealer makes all the difference

My car prior to my purchase had been to several dealers in the NYC area all trying to fix the problem. It wasn't until I bought it and my delaer here in NJ took the time to figure it out was the problem resolved. The tech who works on my car is outstanding... The prior owner was probably going bonkers like you since they could never get the problem fixed....

Net, net, it wasn't until the car had a really good tech working on the problem was it properly diagnosed and fixed...If your delaership wants to contact mine and talk to the tech that worked on my car I am sure they would do that.

Schneider Nelson Audi
Long Branch NJ

Service Advisor :John
My last name so they can look up the car is PACKER.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Lemon law in most states means they buy it back

CPO or not.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thought I had replied but sounds like fuel injectors as another possible.

Quick Reply: What should I do? They can't find the problem