A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would the Symptom be on a transmission fluid filter being knocked out

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would the Symptom be on a transmission fluid filter being knocked out

What would the Symptom be on a transmission fluid filter being knocked out of place? Also is there one or two transmission oil filters? I've been told there is another one but with all the research I've done I only know of one in this model.

Does anybody know? I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

This happened to me once after having a transmission filter changed in my old acura legend, guess the shop put it on too lose.
It was sucking up air, so It essentially was like low fluid, so gears would not catch, had to have it towed back to shop. Sorry that is vague, but i think if it was completely knocked out, car would not drive at all, if the seal was poor, I would guess it could be variety of symptoms depending on how much air was sucked in.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

One filter only, extreme bottom just above pan. Seems unlikely it could come out since essentially trapped by pan itself. As prior reply stated, it will act like low on fluid--missed gears, maybe won't go into reverse, slow to engage when put in gear, etc. More likely than loose filter is low fluid, and then fluid doesn't evaporate so needs to be looked at for leaks. The oily mess around the pan will be the normal clue for the simplest pan gasket issue. Sometimes just needs to be re tightened, especially after a prior filter service and gasket replace.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
This happened to me once after having a transmission filter changed in my old acura legend, guess the shop put it on too lose.
It was sucking up air, so It essentially was like low fluid, so gears would not catch, had to have it towed back to shop. Sorry that is vague, but i think if it was completely knocked out, car would not drive at all, if the seal was poor, I would guess it could be variety of symptoms depending on how much air was sucked in.
I appreciate the reply.

My car goes into limp mode after driving it for a while. All the gear lights light up instead of just D when dirving.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you find a sign of a leak, fixing it goes with a transmission fluid and filter change, it'll also give you an opportunity to see if there is anything in your fluid indicative of a problem, tell you if it's burnt(which can happen with low fluid.) With your symptoms, I wouldn't be surprised at burnt fluid as a side effect of whatever else is going on. Until you figure it out, don't drive it if you can help it, limp mode is happening to protect the transmission from something hurting it, if you keep getting it to that point, you may cause permanent damage. Has anyone done a VCDS scan to see what codes may be lurking?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually dropped the Transmission pad and changed the filter and fluid myself, It worked fine for a while but now goes into limp mode after driving it for a while. I have a VCDS scan I can upload.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by twiy
I actually dropped the Transmission pad and changed the filter and fluid myself, It worked fine for a while but now goes into limp mode after driving it for a while. I have a VCDS scan I can upload.
How recent was work? If last week, likely other issues. If last year, could still be as simple as pan has worked loose and has leaked out a bunch of fluid. It is hard to get those little torx screws to hold like at factory with the residual fluid sort of oiling everything even w/ clean up and maybe even w/ Locktite. Anyway, besides a scan I would physically inspect pan area. An oily mess is a very simple diagnostic here.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by twiy
As others have said, check for leaks. Also what ATF did you use?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll put it on a lift tomorrow and check it out. I did all the transmission service about 1-2 months ago. Car had issues shifting which was a Brake Switch, changed that and it started to shift just fine. Used the car for a few weeks now this issue where it seems to go into Limp mode.

After searching for a long time I found other Audi owners claim this is the best alternative to the ZF Oil which is more expensive than this Red Line Oil.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Redline D6 should is good. I’ve had it in mine for years now...no issues. Likely something else going on with yours. If no leaks, then are you sure you filled it using the proper procedure? They’re pretty sensitive to being even slightly low on level.

Another thought is that limp mode after a while would be symptomatic of it overheating for some reason. There’s not much to go wrong with the trans cooler on the 4.2i, but you could have a blocked or kinked/damaged line? Although if all checks out physically, you need to see what codes the transmission is throwing, otherwise it’s even more of a guessing game.

Last edited by dvs_dave; 06-04-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: What would the Symptom be on a transmission fluid filter being knocked out