A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window winder dysfunction, window stuck half-down

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 04:59 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window winder dysfunction, window stuck half-down

Hello all - when I first tinted my vehicle, I reported back that the tint had been scraped open like a can of sardines due to the presence of a broken "window winder", as called by the fellow forum member informing me of the name, pressing hard into the glass of my driver's side front window. Sure enough, after a period of time, something else has happened down in that well and the glass refuses to budge. The motors inside the door make an ominous noise when I attempt to move it via the electronic controls. I cannot get it to budge at all by hand or with simple tools, and don't want to pry too hard lest the double-paned security glass break.

I am left with the option to remove the door panel and get into the guts of the window itself. Anything I need to know about removing the door panel to access this area? Is this "window winder" the correct name? Whatever it is, it is pressing a piece of steel hard into my glass. Even when the window would roll up and down (with some effort) you could hear something pushing the glass and, upon being rolled all the way up, wouldn't make a complete seal and would make a tell-tale whistling noise from the air if the cabin pressure wasn't equalized such as by opening the sun roof.

I'm hoping it is just this internal piece I need to replace, and then I can finally tint my window again without worrying about the scrapes!

Regards
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Hello all - when I first tinted my vehicle, I reported back that the tint had been scraped open like a can of sardines due to the presence of a broken "window winder", as called by the fellow forum member informing me of the name, pressing hard into the glass of my driver's side front window. Sure enough, after a period of time, something else has happened down in that well and the glass refuses to budge. The motors inside the door make an ominous noise when I attempt to move it via the electronic controls. I cannot get it to budge at all by hand or with simple tools, and don't want to pry too hard lest the double-paned security glass break.

I am left with the option to remove the door panel and get into the guts of the window itself. Anything I need to know about removing the door panel to access this area? Is this "window winder" the correct name? Whatever it is, it is pressing a piece of steel hard into my glass. Even when the window would roll up and down (with some effort) you could hear something pushing the glass and, upon being rolled all the way up, wouldn't make a complete seal and would make a tell-tale whistling noise from the air if the cabin pressure wasn't equalized such as by opening the sun roof.

I'm hoping it is just this internal piece I need to replace, and then I can finally tint my window again without worrying about the scrapes!

Regards
You will soon be finding how the Audi D3 doors are a double sandwich type construction. You will pull away the door trim panel and then run right into another big pressed aluminum panel that covers virtually the whole inside of the door and absolutely prevents access to window area on the far side of it.

At first this stumped me and you don't just remove some visible screws and presto. But reading up in the shop manual, it was not terribly difficult once the instructions led me to the steps and the fastener locations. And there is the punchline of the brief tale. Get a decent manual, whether Bentley if you have an old XP machine, or alldata online or the ErWin type Audi (brief) subscription and big download type approaches. You also want decent instructions to pull the door card (trim) and not break anything--in the manuals of course. Finally, buy maybe 3-5 of the plastic trim clips that hold the panel to the door in advance so you don't either have car down or have to half *** assemble it with some broken retainer clips. Some will likely self destruct each time you pull a door card and not be reusable/resettable--part of it moves as it locks tight. BTDT, and from then always kept a small bag of them--along with the front fender liner plastic pop rivets that also are often not reusable.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:11 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You will soon be finding how the Audi D3 doors are a double sandwich type construction. You will pull away the door trim panel and then run right into another big pressed aluminum panel that covers virtually the whole inside of the door and absolutely prevents access to window area on the far side of it.

At first this stumped me and you don't just remove some visible screws and presto. But reading up in the shop manual, it was not terribly difficult once the instructions led me to the steps and the fastener locations. And there is the punchline of the brief tale. Get a decent manual, whether Bentley if you have an old XP machine, or alldata online or the ErWin type Audi (brief) subscription and big download type approaches. You also want decent instructions to pull the door card (trim) and not break anything--in the manuals of course. Finally, buy maybe 3-5 of the plastic trim clips that hold the panel to the door in advance so you don't either have car down or have to half *** assemble it with some broken retainer clips. Some will likely self destruct each time you pull a door card and not be reusable/resettable--part of it moves as it locks tight. BTDT, and from then always kept a small bag of them--along with the front fender liner plastic pop rivets that also are often not reusable.
I do indeed have the Bentley manual on an upgraded, small (11" screen) and fast Thinkpad laptop I installed XP on - along with VCDS, ELSA, Alldata. Just stuffed all my car related stuff on there and made it the shop computer. Sometimes I find it difficult to follow along with a few of the different instructions/diagrams, especially if I (make the mistake of?) checking multiple manuals.

The info you just provided me is what I definitely need.. some know-how and advice on what to expect. I'm really wanting to avoid bringing it to Audi if I can.

P.S. Got a link for the exact type of clips I should be looking for? (incl. the fender cover ones, I am missing several of those now after messing w/ some other stuff a while back)

Thank you!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default These Door Handle Procs

Regards
include the door disassembly.
Attached Files

Last edited by ScottCNelson; 09-28-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
include the door disassembly.
What do you mean?

-Regards
Old 09-28-2018, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

I do indeed have the Bentley manual on an upgraded, small (11" screen) and fast Thinkpad laptop I installed XP on - along with VCDS, ELSA, Alldata. Just stuffed all my car related stuff on there and made it the shop computer. Sometimes I find it difficult to follow along with a few of the different instructions/diagrams, especially if I (make the mistake of?) checking multiple manuals.

The info you just provided me is what I definitely need.. some know-how and advice on what to expect. I'm really wanting to avoid bringing it to Audi if I can.

P.S. Got a link for the exact type of clips I should be looking for? (incl. the fender cover ones, I am missing several of those now after messing w/ some other stuff a while back)

Thank you!
Door card/panel one: 6Q0868243 Looks like: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/6q0868243/ (they have good pics, though I use a discount online audi parts dealer)

Fender liner push pins: 4D0807300 Looks like: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/4d0807300/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-28-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:07 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I mean

What do you mean?

-Regards
the pdf I attached includes door disassembly procs.
Attached Files
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 AM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
the pdf I attached includes door disassembly procs.
Thanks, that'll come in handy
Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regards
Sounds like something was dropped into your door and is fouling the window glass or something has come loose. Which end of the glass is the damage to the tint?
Door card comes off very easy once you remove the plastic trim and a couple of bolts. Take photos of all the wiring so you know where it attaches and how it's routed. A trim removal tool will help save you damaging most if not all the clips of the wiring loom as you remove them. Take out the window before you remove the window motor. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:48 PM
The Transporter

Originally Posted by dangerdred
Sounds like something was dropped into your door and is fouling the window glass or something has come loose. Which end of the glass is the damage to the tint?
Door card comes off very easy once you remove the plastic trim and a couple of bolts. Take photos of all the wiring so you know where it attaches and how it's routed. A trim removal tool will help save you damaging most if not all the clips of the wiring loom as you remove them. Take out the window before you remove the window motor. Good luck.
It's to the entire piece of glass as it is a piece of metal about 1cm wide pushing into the center of the glass from down in the window well. As the window went down and back up, it scraped the tint off. Peeled it open like a can of sardines, pretty much. I will be working on taking the paneling off soon. I will be happy if, for the time being, I can just put some shims in the area where the well and the top of the bottom part of the door (where the window well starts, in relation to the driver of the car) come together so I can keep the window firmly UP before the rain starts here for fall. Then I can order replacement part etc.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Window winder dysfunction, window stuck half-down