A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 a8 low67,000 miles engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 a8 low67,000 miles engine failure

Had anyone had any experience with an Audi A 8 engine failure at such low mileage.
I was driving in left highway lane approximately 70-75 mph ,
when the car just shut down without any warning or lights whatsoever almost causing me and passengers unable to control power steering or brakes.
I had to have car flatbedded to Audi dealer only to find out that the engine had failed because of a faulty plug in the oil system that caused my oil pump to fail and not suppy needed oil to engine.
I did receive to yellow lights once car was already incapable of being driven.
Long story short I received notice from dealer that they would be performing a service for a recall item (seperate issue) that I never received recall being the second owner.
I had Checked with Audi USA to question them about the failure and appropriate steps s to take and asked if they would be providing any assistance with this situation. I understood I was out of warranty but was looking for advice. The cost of an engine from them is $28000.
The car is my 5th Audi over the past 15 years. The Audi dealership and the regional service rep said they would not be giving any goodwill and I was basically on my own.
Any advice would be great
thanks
Old 08-08-2018, 01:40 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

28,000 for a replacement engine???? That's insane. I would start looking for a good independent Euro shop that specializes in Audi.
The following users liked this post:
Asiparks (09-18-2019)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
28,000 for a replacement engine???? That's insane. I would start looking for a good independent Euro shop that specializes in Audi.
+1 on what Kris stated. Get yourself a good VAG mechanic and have them install a rebuilt engine into the vehicle. Or if it's cheaper AND better, have them rebuild yours...if that's even an option. I've seen such engines sell for $3K+ on ebay.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy cheapest engine available off of Ebay, have installed, trade immediately.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Why, so someone else can have the same misfortune? Why not fix correctly and keep? Or if you don't care, just junk the f'ing thing and save the next guy the misery.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Caveat emptor

Old 08-15-2018, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had car moved from Audi dealership to reputable shop.
We are working together to determine which engine and distributor we decide to use. I personally would like to get engine with lower miles and do it right.
Audi short sold themselves with me as I had owned 6 prior to owning this car and had s meticulous documented maintenance records. It seems there was nothing I could have done and Audi said it was just a one off situation and they’ve decided to not offer any goodwill.
If they even offered money for my car towards s new vehicle would have shown some class on their behalf. So they have lost a long term customer.
What does blow my mind is I can get used engines with higher miles then I have now with longer warranty than if I bought new.
Anyway I have always loved the cars and the drive but without a 1st class company I will never buy another one.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fvdestiny
I just had car moved from Audi dealership to reputable shop.
We are working together to determine which engine and distributor we decide to use. I personally would like to get engine with lower miles and do it right.
Audi short sold themselves with me as I had owned 6 prior to owning this car and had s meticulous documented maintenance records. It seems there was nothing I could have done and Audi said it was just a one off situation and they’ve decided to not offer any goodwill.
If they even offered money for my car towards s new vehicle would have shown some class on their behalf. So they have lost a long term customer.
What does blow my mind is I can get used engines with higher miles then I have now with longer warranty than if I bought new.
Anyway I have always loved the cars and the drive but without a 1st class company I will never buy another one.
while I sympathize with you - I can understand Audi’s stance here :

you have a pre owned, 9 year old car with unknown service history - the car could have been neglected resulting in the failure

if you had a consistent service record of all scheduled maintenance and repair with the dealer dating back a few years - you can expect more cooperation from the regional rep and the dealer would go to bat.

If you do - and they still refused - then it’s a different issue

Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I guess basing on your statement and lack of name that you could be an Audi rep.
Anyway , does it make a difference if I was second owner and bought the car with 30,000 miles in mint condition?
and followed Audi maintenance protocol for maintenance.
Btw do you really think someone who buys and $80,000 automobile is going to charge right in an abuse the car ? If car is under lease agreement most maintenance would need to be performed.
With a flagship car with low miles you would think they would offer something versus nothing. Not even look at trade value as an option etc.
at 67,000 miles to have a defective part cause a catastrophic engine failure there is no excuse. Btw I m not looking for people to be sympathetic ,I’m getting the word out to Those who might be a buyer of this model or any Audi for that matter to be aware that the company will not help you if you have an engine failure as a result of a faulty part.
I didn’t design the car and no zero about engines but from what I hear with timing chain failures etc some of these issues should fall under recall item from a safety standpoint.
Having car just shut down with zero warning in the middle of the highway sucks.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you provide detail on the faulty part for those of us who drive 4.2L A8's. I will want to have mine checked. Sorry for the trouble.

Quick Reply: 2011 a8 low67,000 miles engine failure