A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A8 3G MMI annoyance / version

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A8 3G MMI annoyance / version

Quick question to those that may know:

My 2013 A8 has MMI versions listed as:

HN+R_US_AU_P0566
With Navi DB : 8r0060884AM NAR 5.6.5

I got several issues with the software, one of which is the annoying playback of streaming audio. The length of the song is showing up as 0:00 with no progress bar. I know this is not about the source -- my wife's Q5 2015 is showing everything as it should be, as is every loaner I have had from the dealership.

I asked about the fix, and got "there were no updates for the car". I'm having it hard to believe. Especially, looking at: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/MMI-3G--...0051884CS.html

This is a map update, but, as I understand it MMI patches come with.
For those with the 2013 A8 version. Would you be able to post the MMI/NAVI versions? If there is at least 1 car out there with higher version than mine, I'll go bug the dealer...
Old 05-14-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by arthurmnev
Quick question to those that may know:

My 2013 A8 has MMI versions listed as:

HN+R_US_AU_P0566
With Navi DB : 8r0060884AM NAR 5.6.5

I got several issues with the software, one of which is the annoying playback of streaming audio. The length of the song is showing up as 0:00 with no progress bar. I know this is not about the source -- my wife's Q5 2015 is showing everything as it should be, as is every loaner I have had from the dealership.

I asked about the fix, and got "there were no updates for the car". I'm having it hard to believe. Especially, looking at: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/MMI-3G--...0051884CS.html

This is a map update, but, as I understand it MMI patches come with.
For those with the 2013 A8 version. Would you be able to post the MMI/NAVI versions? If there is at least 1 car out there with higher version than mine, I'll go bug the dealer...
Is your car Audi Connect capable? That is, whether you subscribe to it or not--Google Earth, WiFi hot spot, etc. I would think it probably is by 2013, just like your Q5. If so, you should be able to run the most current rev and essentially (still) have all the D4 features AFAIK. That is once Audi Connect came in, along with top view camera as the other, I can't think of any other features that advanced MMI related functionality further. They did tweak it some for the last year or two of C7's for things like CarPlay/Auto/apps, but not the later D4's or near end of first Q5 generation just wrapped up.

If you are still under warranty, there are certain code words to get them to do the TSB update to current rev. For them to get paid for warranty work and TSB updates, it has to fit some known diagnostic. Find the recent TSB's for what the symptoms are, and see if yours just happens to have some of them... They updated our 2013 Q5 when ours started losing its location on long drives; service writer immediately recognized it and what to do. The 2013 Q5 is actually one version newer (the 2015 one) than my early build 2015 S8 that was actually built in July 2014.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-14-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, it is connect capable. I'm OK paying for it as well, but if they pick up the bill -- so much the better. What I don't know is if map updates will result in MMI update as well. I looked at the illegal dvd copy -- it looks like mmi update binaries are there , so it does appear like it will update the core mmi software stack as well... thoughs/experiences?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

Discussing unauthorized copies of software doesn't work under AW policies.

As to big picture question though, Nav maps and MMI software are typically two different code loads; certainly that way at D3 generation. Not 100% sure though with hard drive set up. On D3 some Nav disc updates would seem to cause some minor updating, so some kind of code was also there and distinct from MMI updates that weren't even loaded from same drive. On our facelift Q5 w/ same general set up as mid to later D4's, the MMI update dealer for the wandering map display issue did not seem to do anything for map revisions, though those are often subtle changes anyway. The TSB's I have seen on the MMI side also do not mention anything about altering maps. In fact, some MMI TSB's on hardware side talk about need to first copy the maps out onto a flash before proceeding. They later have to go back to a single unit of hardware from how I remember the description. All various pointers saying maps and MMI updates are separate.

I didn't comment earlier BTW, but I regard streaming as somewhat second rate audio relative to hard cable. I can hear some differences w/ same track back to back once recorded at high bit rates, which I can't hear on CD original vs. corded device playback with the high bit rates. Thus I don't use streaming anyway and cable has full display, album covers, etc. I just use a throw away prior gen device w/ sufficient memory for the bit rates. No discharged phone, no phone left behind, device hidden away from prior eyes, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-15-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

These threads are rediculous when there are those that think Audi is on the cutting edge. I have '14 A8L and everything tech is 10 years old. Very disappointed in both the technology used and the lack of Audi understanding today we carry our favorite destination between vehicles. Audi should have taken lessons from the failing phone companies that had a menu of add-on's to increase their revenue stream.There is never a time I have used Audi GPS in the past year. It is like going back in time and seeing how navigation used to be 10 years ago. Stop trying to update and get into 2018 and use phone or Garmin GPS that is easier, better info by far and of course the Nuvi does not gouge us for updates. Garmin giving updates also gets info from our GPS so it is an even trade. I gave up a year ago trying to talk to Audi. No wonder these cars depreciate like they do. Geez...a great way to throw away money and who is impressed. I could care less about service plans or $400 updates. Technology is either simple for me to use or goes in the trash. Audi GPS in the trase.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't disagree some tech is obsolete . With that said though:

I use my phone / waze as the primary GPS. What I want from Audi is for the advertized, as obsolete tech as it is, to work to spec. I use bluetooth to get my phone audio to the speakers-- I need it for both, -- work and streaming music. Code bugs prevent the technology from working properly. Specifically, while the (well tested) phone audio and microphone work properly, generic bluetooth microphone doesn't. I get my phone via bluetooth no problem, but fire up voice over IP apps, like Skype for business or others and the entertainment begins. Mic works in one, bit not the speakers, speakers in the other, but not the mic.. some work properly. This is not "obsolete" tech, but sloppy code; audi's refusal to update it is... not encouraging for my next purchase.

Aside from everything else, I'm getting severely disappointed about the quality in other areas as well.
1. in dash clock went bad -- replaced
2. main control panel for AC and such -- sticky buttons-- replaced
3. Transfer case defective valve -- replaced
4.Overheating radiator, both fans are spinning passenger side blows cold air, the car is shutting down due to overheat. Diagnosis code update; I think BS, but I cant fight them
5. air suspension compressor-- dead due to "rust!" -- replaced
6. Gas tank gauge is acting up and , from time to time takes 40 min to level off - to be dealt with
7. Bluetooth is not working properly -- to be dealt with
8. Air intake whistle noise -- they have been trying to fix it for 11 weeks, still working on it; need cool weather
9.Gas tank cover lid motor is going bad, making all strange noises-- to be dealt with

This is on $ 110k car with 60 k miles.. what is wrong with this picture?

Last edited by arthurmnev; 08-22-2017 at 03:22 PM.