A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 S8 Exhaust Analysis and Dissection

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to keep everybody in suspense. I've been out of country on vacation, got sick, and more. Now there's a cold spell outside with a snow storm coming. Rest assured that a video is coming.

Mike
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sound clip! (Crappy but better than nothing)

https://youtu.be/q-Byyg89Fjs

This is a quick clip I made of my muffler delete on my 2013 S8. Don't waste your time trying to listen to it on your phone or lousy laptop speakers; you need decent speakers to get the full experience. It really sounds good in person, yet is not too loud at cruise.

The best part is when you're hard on the gas and the car upshifts. There is a loud blat as the car pulls timing during the shift. It's startling and glorious.

I wish I could do a proper video for you all but my circumstances do not permit.

Mike
Old 04-14-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-racer_2.7T
https://youtu.be/q-Byyg89Fjs

This is a quick clip I made of my muffler delete on my 2013 S8. Don't waste your time trying to listen to it on your phone or lousy laptop speakers; you need decent speakers to get the full experience. It really sounds good in person, yet is not too loud at cruise.

The best part is when you're hard on the gas and the car upshifts. There is a loud blat as the car pulls timing during the shift. It's startling and glorious.

I wish I could do a proper video for you all but my circumstances do not permit.

Mike
Man it's really hard to tell from that video but would you say it sounds as good as the milltek? I'm really trying to get an exhaust but really like the sound of awe on the 4.0t but they don't make one for the s8...so I was thinning maybe I should do Apr dps and a muffler delete. Any drone?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If I had to guess, it is probably louder than the Milltek since the Milltek actually uses a muffler. On the highway, you can definitely hear the exhaust when you accelerate even slightly. But if you are just cruising with a light foot, the extra noise is slight. Sometimes when I'm having fun, I wish the exhaust were louder still!

Here's what I would recommend: a muffler delete is relatively cheap. If you don't like the sound, then you can still get the Milltek.

One note: the APR downpipes might increase the volume level a lot. For reference, when I replaced my cats on a Jaguar XJR with high-flown, metal substrate ones, the volume level increased dramatically.

Mike
Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Are APR downpipes California legal?
Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I had to guess, it is probably louder than the Milltek since the Milltek actually uses a muffler. On the highway, you can definitely hear the exhaust when you accelerate even slightly. But if you are just cruising with a light foot, the extra noise is slight. Sometimes when I'm having fun, I wish the exhaust were louder still!

Here's what I would recommend: a muffler delete is relatively cheap. If you don't like the sound, then you can still get the Milltek.

One note: the APR downpipes might increase the volume level a lot. For reference, when I replaced my cats on a Jaguar XJR with high-flown, metal substrate ones, the volume level increased dramatically.

Mike
so the slight noise is drone? when i mean drone its more of a vibration im talking about not so much just noise. im really thinking about doing what you said is a possibility up top of just connecting the primary pipe that goes into the muffler to the valved exit and maybe adding more perforation. that way if valves are closed there will be still enough flow to go to the unvalved exit. hopefully that will make the noise louder when valves opened and gets rid of that fluttering noise the exhaust makes.

i hate that this exhaust sounds "fluffy" instead of a deep direct exhaust sound if that makes any sense. i would really love that awe exhaust sound but just a little quieter.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Wow, good info, Mike! Were the rear boxes packed with mineral wool or empty as shown? I've got a D3 A8L on which I've installed a D3 S8 exhaust system (minus the rear "cans") and it's way too quiet even with flaps open. There was a thread SOMEWHERE (driving me nuts because I can't find it) very much like yours, where the "cure" for too-quiet syndrome was removing the stuffing from the rear boxes. The idea of having the capacity to switch from mellow to loud (a la R8) appeals to me a great deal.
FWIW, at least on the D3, the solid-sounding things behind the cats are designed quite like a suppressor on a gun, according to the SSP for the then-new 2003 D3. Mine sound solid and I too thought they might be some sort of post-cat cats. The Cans I removed (just ahead of the rear differential) were surprisingly heavy and very solid-feeling, but reportedly like a regular Cherry-bomb-type muffler - perf pipe straight through surrounded by stuffing. Made little difference removing them. If there's an introductory-to-the-new D4 SSP for your car, it'd be interesting reading to say the least. That's the (D3) SSP where I found the above info.
Thanks for the writeup and pics, it's a surprising amount of work to make a coherent post with good clear pictures. I've got about five I need to do but no time.
Ciao,
Tom
Old 04-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Wow, good info, Mike! Were the rear boxes packed with mineral wool or empty as shown? ...
The pictures of the stock mufflers show exactly what I saw when I cut them open. They do a very good job of quieting things even with the flap open!

Mike
Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleex024
so the slight noise is drone? when i mean drone its more of a vibration im talking about not so much just noise.
The sound I hear is not a boomy resonance, nor is the sound persistent on the highway when cruising.

Modding the existing mufflers is a great idea. I was going to do that but my flapper valve harness and motors had significant corrosion and were going to be a pain to fix.

Mike
Old 04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

The sound I hear is not a boomy resonance, nor is the sound persistent on the highway when cruising.

Modding the existing mufflers is a great idea. I was going to do that but my flapper valve harness and motors had significant corrosion and were going to be a pain to fix.

Mike
cool...glad you think its a good idea...im hoping that i can get that more direct sound of the v8 and not that flappy air sound with this mod. so do you like the idea of just extending that main entrance pipe to connect directly to the flapped exit and maybe even spot welding the piping on there to keep some of the flow open to exit into the muffler? that way there will be enough flow when valves are closed...as long as this makes the sound i want...the dps should add the volume once i get those put on.

Quick Reply: 2013 S8 Exhaust Analysis and Dissection