A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Audi S8 - finally snapping a pic and saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboost
Don't they all have "adaptive cruise"?

Originally Posted by chasingradio
Hm. Well I suppose if I were more specific, I could say Audi Adaptive Cruise Control, or autonomous cruise control, or radar cruise control, or traffic-aware cruise control, or dynamic radar cruise control. I'm not sure what the nomenclature is on the forum.

Well, I learned something today.....

I too was under the impression that they all came with ACC.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in MO are you located?
Did you get the ross tech thing done locally or?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Funny - similar story when I picked up my 2015 S8 last year. None- car guru friends, co-workers and my wife were not impressed at first sight (after I talked it up). Until they road in it.

My wife drove it for the first time last month and she made some highly uncharacteristic remarks (coming from her) regarding it being awesome, couldn’t believe how quick it was, how well it drove, smooth, fun, etc. I felt like I was talking to a fellow car guru. I think it changed her life. 😁. She’s the type of person that doesn’t particularly like driving. That has changed.

Frankly, this is why I love the S8 so much. It’s unassuming and svelte.
I agree. If you consider what counted as a "super-car" say, 10 years ago, a modern S8 (and many other super saloons) would qualify. If one agrees with that... this is perhaps one of the world's most discrete supercars.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dBals
Where in MO are you located?
Did you get the ross tech thing done locally or?
I was actually shopping for a unit and came across a "rental" on eBay from a small shop, I'm assuming a tuning shop, in Minnesota. It was a $200-ish deposit, but only $40 or so for a week, which I felt was very fair. With about an hour of research on Google (and this forum) I was able to find the correct programming codes (mostly just check-boxes to be honest, it was very simple) to change the default ride-height and set the windows to work with the keyfob (a convenience that you cannot do without once you have it: I first had it on an Infiniti G35 Coupe).

Last edited by chasingradio; 10-18-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:22 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chasingradio
I was actually shopping for a unit and came across a "rental" on eBay from a small shop, I'm assuming a tuning shop, in Minnesota. It was a $200-ish deposit, but only $40 or so for a week, which I felt was very fair.
That is simply brilliant... I never would have thought of this resource! Off to the eBay I go....and welcome aboard!!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctormario
I’m actually concerned about my next car (whatever that will be in 3-5 years) because this car is so ridiculously good..
You should be. Three years ago I traded in my D3 and it took me two cars to realize none of them can match the power, grace, style or road presence of the D4. In 4-5 years when this one is about done, I'm hoping an S5/S7 will fill the bill as I'll have to downsize the physical dimensions but sure won't want to downsize the performance!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctormario
I have a 2014 S8 and the car is crazy amazing.. I tuned it to stage 1 APR and it’s been wonderful. My wife thinks it’s a “grandpa car” when she’s around and then when she’s not I pop it into dynamic mode and it’s nuts! I’m actually concerned about my next car (whatever that will be in 3-5 years) because this car is so ridiculously good..
Originally Posted by dgbaudiphile
Funny - similar story when I picked up my 2015 S8 last year. None- car guru friends, co-workers and my wife were not impressed at first sight (after I talked it up). Until they road in it.

My wife drove it for the first time last month and she made some highly uncharacteristic remarks (coming from her) regarding it being awesome, couldn’t believe how quick it was, how well it drove, smooth, fun, etc. I felt like I was talking to a fellow car guru. I think it changed her life. 😁. She’s the type of person that doesn’t particularly like driving. That has changed.

Frankly, this is why I love the S8 so much. It’s unassuming and svelte.
HAHA - Are you guys me????

This is again why I love this car so much, such a sleeper....unless 'you know'.
Had mine about 5 months now and always excited to jump in it. Waiting until the spring to get the APR Tune (although I feel it is already crazy enough).
Old 10-19-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear ya bro. I'm like a petulant child when my wife wants us to take the A5 Cab - just because it's a nice day. Blah.

The APR tune is another level of crazy. It's to the point that if anyone else drives it, you have to instruct them never to punch it until you're straight. WOT from a dead stop while making a turn (like I used to do in my S4 and get a little sideways in the process) is a recipe for disaster when it's tuned. I really can't say enough about this car and the overall experience of it. Like I've asked in another post - where do I go from here?