A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 A8 stalling problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A8 stalling problems?

Hi, I am considering the purchase of an 2015 A8. The second owner said the first owner had stalling problems and Audi bought the car back and replaced the ECU and warrantied the car from the date of second purchase.
Should I steer clear or does anyone know if the ECU was the real problem for the stalling issue on the 2015's? Car has only 5000 miles on it, but does come with a Platinum extended 84 month warranty.
Thanks for your help
Old 04-16-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Ditt
Hi, I am considering the purchase of an 2015 A8. The second owner said the first owner had stalling problems and Audi bought the car back and replaced the ECU and warrantied the car from the date of second purchase.
Should I steer clear or does anyone know if the ECU was the real problem for the stalling issue on the 2015's? Car has only 5000 miles on it, but does come with a Platinum extended 84 month warranty.
Thanks for your help
if the car is much cheaper than others then yes it wouldnt be a bad buy as long as you test the car for a little bit and make sure everything works right. that is a very long warranty so you should be fine for the most part if what they say is true but call a service adviser and try to get a little more info and see if that is what really happened.

just remember you need to definitely get it for much cheaper as the title will be a buy back or whatever it says on there and will definitely be harder to sell in the future. even if you dont have any problems with the car whatsoever people will be scared and tend to stay away from cars like that especially since the car will be turned over 4 times.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks cleex24 - I have offered in the low $60 range- he is considering the offer
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Clarify - A8L - 4.0T, fully loaded (every option) 4200 miles on the Odo
Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

When you say every option, do you mean every option? I mean, night vision, dual pane glass, B&O, rear entertainment system, sport differential, extended leather, alcantara, adaptive cruise control, massaging seats? If it has all of those things, it sounds like a good price. Stalling has historically come up to be an issue with the fuel pumps, if I recall, so it may still have the issue. But it's covered under warranty, so if you're willing to deal with the potential hassle, may not be a big deal.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rich Ditt
Thanks cleex24 - I have offered in the low $60 range- he is considering the offer
Just kbb and nada searched the prices on the source you described...this is including 5000 miles drivers assist, rear seat comfort, sports package, full leather, cold weather, night vision and the price cones to right around $61k....I wouldn't but this for more than $50k unfortunately.

You have to factor in that the problem will most likely still be somewhat of an issue otherwise it would have been fixed the first time no? I'll tell you once i took on my car for some suspension noise issue i hated being in the a6 loaner they gave me...so much so that I told them don't worry about it and brought the car back in the same day.

You will probably have the same problem lol however my issue is liveable and yours will not be...and having to take your car in all the time for service is super annoying unless you live right next to the dealership but with any high end dealer they are not abundant like Honda Toyota Hyundai dealerships.

just take that into consideration before making your decision...there is no need to make a haste decision as there will always be a car available to buy. Even when i thought i had to buy my car because thought there would be no other car like this as soon as i bought my car another one similar to mine popped up...maybe even a better deal lol.

Good luck man...these cars are
​​​​Fantastic
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

KBB and NADA are worthless for rare cars like the A8. With that motor, and all the options I listed, only a couple are for sale that I can see, and they are listed for at least $5000 more with higher mileage. B&O and the rear seat entertainment options add a lot to the cost of the car, so bear that in mind when comparing prices. If those aren't priorities for you, looking for one without past issues may get you one cheaper, impressive though those options may be.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Why is the second owner selling it already? And who is the 84 month extended warranty through and what does it cover? Loving my A8L so much, I would like to see it work out for you but as pointed out already , the car is marked by it's already short history and could be a great buy or a giant pain in the backside.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I brushed the canvas too large when I said it had all options, which is not true. It has the Luxury Pkg., Rear Seat Comfort Plus Pkg., Driver Assistance Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Premium Pkg., Panoramic Sunroof, Media Pkg., Black Alcantara Headliner, 20" wheel Pkg., wheel locks and all weather floor mats. Also Glacier White paint.
Any ideas what this car should realistically sell for with 4200 miles on the Odo? Pretend it's your car, what would you want out of it? Thanks for any input you may have.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
KBB and NADA are worthless for rare cars like the A8. With that motor, and all the options I listed, only a couple are for sale that I can see, and they are listed for at least $5000 more with higher mileage. B&O and the rear seat entertainment options add a lot to the cost of the car, so bear that in mind when comparing prices. If those aren't priorities for you, looking for one without past issues may get you one cheaper, impressive though those options may be.
yes i get that but its only low about $5k or so at least with my s8 that i bought...so its still a good starting point especially on the less rare than s8 2015 a8l...but on this car i would definitely still consider the kbb and nada prices and work from there especially this being a dealer buyback. if the problem was so simple to fix why didnt they fix it when they had the chance? i would still be very careful with this car...but there might really be no problems...op just be careful...its not worth saving $10k on this car if you are going to have constant problems.

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Why is the second owner selling it already? And who is the 84 month extended warranty through and what does it cover? Loving my A8L so much, I would like to see it work out for you but as pointed out already , the car is marked by it's already short history and could be a great buy or a giant pain in the backside.
yeah i would be pretty wary of this situation as it is turning over owners so often with very few miles...seems like a car thats always been in the shop which is not a good sign obviously.