A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 A8L... front end shudder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A8L... front end shudder

I just purchased a certified 2015 A8L 3.0 from a dealer, 43k miles on it,driving the car home on the highway I noticed a heavy front end shudder on hard braking and when coming to a stop. Seems like a rotor issue but no grinding, I also believe I noticed some sway/wander at 80mph but It was windy out as well. Should I take in to an independent shop for new pads and rotors or back to Audi to look at something else.
Also this car has Pirellis on it, im.assuming they were replaced within the past 10k miles, is there anything better tire wise that can be put on as these seem awful noisy especially at low rolling speeds.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts

If under warranty, take to Audi. Otherwise to a qualified shop in general, whether independent or dealer.

Do not automatically assume it is brakes. For a D4 A8, other common items that could cause this would be the roll (sway) bar links or the roll bar bushings. From D3 experience it could also be front upper control arm bushings, though your miles may be a little low for that noticeable an issue involving control arms. If you have any creaking or other noises up front while driving, strong indicators to look at these various suspension parts.

If it is brakes, you may have deposits on the rotors rather than wear in general. Deposits can cause a shudder. You can try re bedding the brake pads if it is that. Dealers won't service the rotors typically, but you may find an independent shop who would clean them up for you if needed.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-14-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

The brake shudder is likely deposits. I have the same issue but only on the highway and most notably when the ACC is doing the braking. Going to live with it until they are ready for replacement.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for all the advice. The car is going to the dealer tomorrow, they stated that the front rotors looked really good and the backs were so so when they did the CPO inspection. I just can't believe they would let a cpo car go out with a brake issue like this, it's an obvious issue not a small shudder.

Driving on the highway at 80mph the car seems to loosen up in the back, to the point it makes you immediately back off the throttle as the car seems to drift. Best I can describe it is when you are on the high and get hit with a strong wind gust. Would this be related to stabilizer bar links? I also notice a rumble at low speeds that may just be a lousy tires or the brakes. Anything else I should have the dealer look at while it is in the shop?

Admittedly I am kind of upset I may have to pay for a brake job on a car I just bought 2 days ago and paid a premium for the CPO.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is your CPO inspection report? You need to review it.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...13-q5-2900011/

Last edited by Twglasgow; 03-17-2018 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same advice as prior reply. Yes it could be stabilizer/sway bar area given both that those parts are repeatedly the first front suspension failure points from a lot of posts in last few years, and that they could affect feel of car like that. So could control arm bushings. Shudder could also be from any of those, or the rotor deposits.

What you likely do NOT need is a brake job. Not at 43K assuming normal driving and no tracking. Pads could be going by then, but you get a sensor triggered warning light when they are pretty well worn down. Also as CPO, car should not have been approved if pad life was less than 50%. Thickness should be noted in your CPO paperwork; I know this first person from buying my D4 CPO in 2016. Maybe rotors and perhaps pads could be scuffed if you have deposits (which dealers won't do probably), but not replaced. Keep repeating two simple things in your mind as you listen to any dealer spiel on brakes and the "safety" bogeyman sometimes trotted out: 1. brake "jobs" are probably the highest margin business in the dealer service realm, and 2. "Can I ask again Mr./Ms. Service advisor, what are the measurements on the pads and rotors vs. spec.?" Be clear in listening, not mumbo jumbo anticipated wear in the future with funny math, but the measurement vs. spec TODAY. Numbers have an amazing way of making the question objective, as long as you avoid the truth bending of "by the next job we anticipate them being under spec so you should do them now." Well duh on the spec; BTDT as far as the statement at a dealer by the way. Not what the spec is meant to be for in normal circumstances. At dealer keep your eye on the suspension issues, which are on Audi's nickel as a CPO. Be wary of the brake job can easily get past a grand at dealer prices just in front.

Oh, and Pirelli's. Also known as Howlers. Search the board. Seemingly easily the most complained about tires on a D4. Yes, lots of noise complaints. And yes your issues could be balance related, torn belt, bent wheel, and a variety of other things. Since those aren't going to be warranty anyway, consider taking to tire shop of your choice. Have all four balanced and inspected off the car, including looking for bent wheels--they can usually see that when they spin them up on the machine, especially if you ask them to look since the use a safety cover on the machine normally during operation.

Net, for piece of mind, I would probably spend the $100-150 now for a good tire balance and tire and wheel inspection. Likely will give you a nicer ride regardless, and you may find something. If not, head to dealer and keep focus more on suspension side, being wary of brake suggestions until suspension all checked out. Earlier tire balancing also helps avoid that being an excuse/distraction area.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-17-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dealer called and said the front rotors are extremly rusty, and the back rotors and pads are at atate minimum. Quoted $2100 for front and back pads and rotors. The swaying issue they said they couldnt pinpoin the sway due to the tires being only at 30psi. For some reason i just feel these things should have been done at the CPO inspection, they never gave me a cpo report only had me sign the cpo form with the warranty.
If anything i am at least going to ask for the labor portion taken off the bill as i feel this would be reasonable, being that they sold the car to me 2 days ago.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Cgraz1187
Dealer called and said the front rotors are extremly rusty, and the back rotors and pads are at atate minimum. Quoted $2100 for front and back pads and rotors. The swaying issue they said they couldnt pinpoin the sway due to the tires being only at 30psi. For some reason i just feel these things should have been done at the CPO inspection, they never gave me a cpo report only had me sign the cpo form with the warranty.
If anything i am at least going to ask for the labor portion taken off the bill as i feel this would be reasonable, being that they sold the car to me 2 days ago.
Flat out, it is NOT a CPO without the report. I think that is a likely starting point. Where is it? As in, demand it. Politely but firmly. It has a specific section listing rotor wear. In addition, they cannot CPO it if pads are at less than 50%. So, they can't have it both ways--now telling you pads are at minimum, yet they CPO'ed it. See section 6.5 of the checklist here: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...PDF-Jan-18.pdf Honestly, no room for debate.

What I see Audi USA did sleaze are the rotors. Checklist used to say 50% min on those too, but I see they pulled them out now in the fine print. HOWEVER, I would bet money you are now being misled on the rotors too. See my prior reply. GET THE MEASUREMENTS. Takes like 1 minute for them to do it once in air. Rear rotors typically run probably double your current miles. Basic rule of thumb are two pad sets per rotor change. And if those measurements don't support what they told you, or are not the same as in the CPO report, they have bigger things to be explaining to you now.

I will repeat again, go to tire shop for tire and wheel inspection. Overpaying at Audi, and may not be getting straight story either since dealer has an inherent conflict of interest here with the CPO status. $100-$150 well spent, and wasting your and ultimately our time if you dont run tire and wheel issues to ground with a shake issue.

You may need to hit reset button here. Typical advice is to try "through channels" first. If you get more run around or throat clearing obfuscation, I would ask to talk to the dealership manager. Just matter of fact, not rant in terms of message and expectations. If that goes nowhere, you may need to call Audi USA. There is supposedly a concierge type approach for A8 owners (I have never had to call), and there may be a help desk type person for CPO purchase issues too.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-17-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Re: your tire noise issue: i recently purchased a 2014 A8L 3.0 with 19's ... came with Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 ... I replaced them with Michelin pilot sport 4's ... size: 255/45R19 104Y ... ( since i am going with a Summer / Winter set up) ... the Michelin's are very quiet and handle amazingly well! We recently had some torrential down pours and flooding here in NYC and the Michelin's did a fantastic job even for a summer tire in 40 degree rainy conditions. also FWIW summer is a great time to get a deal on a winter set up ... I picked up some OEM 19 inch Rims and Tires (pretty much brand new) on Craig's list for $750.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi USA

Your very next phone call should be to Audi USA. Raise a royal stink. It sounds like this dealer has subverted the CPO standards Audi has established. I have dealt with their concierge service on two occasions and they have, in my situation, bent over backwards to satisfy my concerns and complaints. Owning an A8 means your are an emeffin “Flagship Owner”. They intervened with an Audi certified aluminum repair facility after my damaged D2 S8 was painted BEFORE completing the body work. Audi USA forced this shop to refund most of my the cost of the repair to me. But you need to be persistent. Stay on them and they will make it right.

Once you’ve opened a case with Audi You might also consider barging into the sales managers office and demand your money back.