A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 S8 Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
I agree with this and the rest of your post.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the 2015 parts info... yet...

VAG historically never spends one thin dime extra putting hardware in a vehicle that's disabled in SW.
There are just too many complexities to the system for Audi to just give us a free ride, especially when it would be a scheduled extra cost option on at least some A8 trims; perhaps standard on others like in the UK.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drew138
Have to think you're probably right. Didn't realize it was an increased option in EU. I didn't see it on the UK configurator. Wishful thinking. Still holding out hopes. Are you specing an A8 or S8?
Matrix system is actually standard in the UK on the A8 Sport Executive, Hybrid and W12 trims, as well as on the S8. An 894 pound option on the SE trims. I still doubt the hardware for it made its way here at this point. I ordered an A8L 4.0T to replace my current 2011 D4 LWB. It's scheduled for production week of 9/15. The order specs are on this thread:

https://forums.audiworld.com/a8-s8-d...15-a8-2868714/

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-14-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I agree with all of this and here are my reasons why.

To manufacture two different headlights is going to add cost. I am willing to bet these headlights are exactly the same as the matrix units available in the EU.

Now the cabling behind them might be different but then again it adds cost that I do not think VAG is willing to spend when they could have it programmed into the ECU. Software is already developed and it shouldn't be that hard to disable/remove/reprogram portions of it for cars heading state side.

So I believe everything is in place except the ECU programming of it.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

80O pounds (UK) worth of software? Doubt it, but who knows. Hope you're right.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
Not sure I agree with all of this and here are my reasons why.

To manufacture two different headlights is going to add cost. I am willing to bet these headlights are exactly the same as the matrix units available in the EU.

Now the cabling behind them might be different but then again it adds cost that I do not think VAG is willing to spend when they could have it programmed into the ECU. Software is already developed and it shouldn't be that hard to disable/remove/reprogram portions of it for cars heading state side.

So I believe everything is in place except the ECU programming of it.
So, after doing some research on the matrix technology/specs, I have to agree with a lot of what Lazydog suggests---the headlight units are probably the same, and the system is entirely software driven with no motors or servos involved. Although not specifically stated in my readings that the technology ties into existing Audi cameras and sensors, the matrix systems utilizes a light sensitive camera to detect oncoming cars' headlights and recognize cars ahead (same camera used by current auto dimming headlight feature?), uses pedestrian and animal detection to cast spotlight beam on them (night vision assit infrared camera?), predicts when to turn on hi-beams outside of metro/suburban areas as well as when to activate side cornering lights before actual steering input (tied into car's navigation system and lane monitoring camera).

If your 2015 A8 has the package with auto dimming headlights, has night vision assist, has lane monitoring, and obviously Navigation, then it might be an issue of plugging in a different control unit and loading the matrix software. But nothing is easy, and the potential problem areas are the manual aspect if the current hi-beam control on the turn signal stalk, as well as the fact that there is no light switch for the matrix headlights whereas our cars' headlights are controlled by that switch. Also, would the wiring harness be different to accommodate a different controller, and are the headlamp units' wiring already prepped to plug into a matrix controller? Perhaps it could be done, or it could be a case of "so close, yet so far". I guess we'll find out in due course.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-15-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure my brothers car was spec'd with the night vision assist and I can see where having that would be critical to the overall success of any retrofit.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Forget everything I said in my previous post from earlier this morning---the headlamp units are DIFFERENT (see pics below):

- Audi Matrix headlight units have an upper hi-beam cluster containing 5 individual LED segments (pic #1)
- U.S. spec LED headlight units have a different upper hi-beam cluster with larger reflective segments that contain only 2 LEDs (pic #2). I took this photo this morning in my dealer's showroom.

Draw your own conclusions as to the ability convert U.S. units to matrix.
Attached Images   
Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I guess we'll find out in due course.
An AutoScan coupled with a brave soul ticking bits and we'll know

There are so few of us on the leading edge of the D4 that we simply don't have a lot of answers.
We still haven't figured out an answer to LayDog's other lighting question.

In five years when kids are buying them with shot air suspensions thinking they got a great deal, putting on giant wheels surrounded by rubber band thick tires, and cutting up factory exhausts... by then we should know.

In the interim it would be nice if the DOT/NHTSA/etc would grow a brain and let the technology come here.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jakematic
An AutoScan coupled with a brave soul ticking bits and we'll know

There are so few of us on the leading edge of the D4 that we simply don't have a lot of answers.
We still haven't figured out an answer to LayDog's other lighting question.

In five years when kids are buying them with shot air suspensions thinking they got a great deal, putting on giant wheels surrounded by rubber band thick tires, and cutting up factory exhausts... by then we should know.

In the interim it would be nice if the DOT/NHTSA/etc would grow a brain and let the technology come here.
Jake- See my post just above yours---The units are different...Confirmed.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Jake- See my post just above yours---The units are different...Confirmed.
Thanks derf, I had high confidence they were.
It's got to be way less expensive to put in 'fixed' LEDs and less vision processing.

The dog decided it was time to take me for a walk before I finished my post !

Quick Reply: 2015 S8 Delivered