A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 A8 Tire(road) Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Neros

I hated my P Zero Neros and changed them out at 32000 miles. I am very happy with my Goodyear Eagle asymmetric tires. They are quieter.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 in size 255/45R20 which runs smoother and quiet vs the other brand tires. I couldnt get michelins in size 265/40R20 so I went with this size and its only 2% speedo error and is within tolerance with no rubbing or issues after 10k miles.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

Originally Posted by 1guitar
I bought an Audi A8L 2016 back in July and I must say it is one noisy beast. It seems to me that Audi could have chosen tires that produce much less road noise. I traded a 2010 MB E350 RWD that came with Michelin MXM type tires and that car was much quieter than the A8L that came with Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I did notice that Pirelli makes a tire with the same name with an added descriptive called " Noise Cancelling Version" that runs about $35 a tire more.
My question is, do any other Audi, A8L version D4 have the same noise complaint problem as I do and do you know if any other quality tire makers, Michelin, etc. make ties that fit the Audi 20" wheels that are far quieter.
I was quite disappointed after owning the car for about 4 months for it to become obvious to me the only way I know how to cure the road noise problem permanently is to trade it in for a different brand. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm not in love with the 22 way adjustable seats which are difficult to adjust and find a comfortable seating position and the ability to adjust the seats to message you while driving doesn't seem to be a big plus as I find the "Wave" position more like a message designed more torturous than pleasurable. Again, any similar thoughts. Thanks.
I have the same issue. I had the dealer replace front bearings and it helped a little, but overall the noise continues.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Here's one problem that has a solution...

Originally Posted by 1guitar
I bought an Audi A8L 2016 back in July and I must say it is one noisy beast. It seems to me that Audi could have chosen tires that produce much less road noise. I traded a 2010 MB E350 RWD that came with Michelin MXM type tires and that car was much quieter than the A8L that came with Pirelli P Zero Nero tires. I did notice that Pirelli makes a tire with the same name with an added descriptive called " Noise Cancelling Version" that runs about $35 a tire more.
My question is, do any other Audi, A8L version D4 have the same noise complaint problem as I do and do you know if any other quality tire makers, Michelin, etc. make ties that fit the Audi 20" wheels that are far quieter.
I was quite disappointed after owning the car for about 4 months for it to become obvious to me the only way I know how to cure the road noise problem permanently is to trade it in for a different brand. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I'm not in love with the 22 way adjustable seats which are difficult to adjust and find a comfortable seating position and the ability to adjust the seats to message you while driving doesn't seem to be a big plus as I find the "Wave" position more like a message designed more torturous than pleasurable. Again, any similar thoughts. Thanks.

There are two tire models that are rated on tire rack to be VERY quiet. I have used them both and they are smooth and quiet and rated VERY high in wet performance and do well enough in snow. And they are nowhere near the most expensive tires. Life is too short to be enduring loud tires; buy a set of either Continental DWS, or Pirrelli P Zero All Season PLUS (yes Pirrelli, its a new model, trust me). The test reviews of 'quiet technology' tires using db meters seem to show them as ineffective compared to the same model tire without.

Last edited by awdinut; 08-20-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I too cannot stand the P Zero Nero's. Sounds as if I have a bad wheel bearing. Replacing them this week with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 N-Spec (Porsche approved). 275/40r20 size. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swapped out the Pirelli OE tires with about 5-6/32nds tread that were on the '13 with 22K miles when I bought it recently. Installed Michelin 275/40 X 20 Pilot A/S 3 tires on it. Wow - tremendous difference in noise. I have those tires on my '97 BMW 840Ci, and on my MB SL55 AMG. Very satisfied with their grip in dry and wet. Don't plan to use them in snow, as I have Bridgestone Blizzaks on another set of wheels.

Good luck, and IF you choose to go with Michelins, I'm sure you will feel like it is a different car.

Last edited by Gary Knox; 08-17-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My Conti DWS 06 tires are getting very noisy with significant tread wear (rotated at each scheduled Audi service) at just under 30k miles on the tires. I was intending to wait until October/November to switch to the N-Spec Michelin A/S 3, but I think I'll be doing it sooner.

edit: Just ordered the N-Spec A/S 3.

Last edited by dwboston; 08-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You can expect tires on our cars to be finished at 30-35K .
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
My Conti DWS 06 tires are getting very noisy with significant tread wear (rotated at each scheduled Audi service) at just under 30k miles on the tires. I was intending to wait until October/November to switch to the N-Spec Michelin A/S 3, but I think I'll be doing it sooner.

edit: Just ordered the N-Spec A/S 3.

I'll second that. My DWS 06's were very loud after a while. I never ever liked them in fact right from the start, very mushy and non responsive, unreliable as I lost a belt on at least one too. And really wore out quickly.

The Michelin N-Spec 275/40/20 is an excellent choice! I've run them in every type of condition including snow and absolutely love these things! Best tire I've run on the A8. So far wearing very well, quiet, responsive and great traction. Even thru a set of bushings in the front end that went south there doing great. Hope they keep making them for a while because there's nothing better. I'll run them year round including the winter they are that good.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
Suckers!!! I had a 2012 A8L I put 4 Lexani 265/40R20 104y on it for 500 installed from walmart.com. They couldnt lift the car so I had them just mount to rim 2 at a time back and forth in the Altima we have. Check the classifieds lots of people change their rims and I have seen good deals on tires. I dont hear any tire noise on the lexani. I got the warranty too. Go ahead and waste 300 to 500 per tire if you want. Theres other stuff I have to buy with that money I saved, like my pool robot just died on me. Lol
Not sure if serious......

I'm not running bargain basement tires on this car, especially when I drive my kid around a lot in it and commute 30 miles each way to work. One needs to accept that the price of upkeep and maintenance on these cars is going to be higher than most. I'll top off my fluids, change my own wiper blades, and have a local (well-regarded) European car mechanic do my upcoming rear brake job to save a few bucks here and there, but I'm not skimping on tires. If that makes me a sucker, so be it.

Quick Reply: 2016 A8 Tire(road) Noise