A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CPO warranty depends on when you got it. When I got my car it was and additional 2 years up to 100K miles with and $85 deductible. Now it is 1 year unlimited miles with no deductible. It is an inclusive warranty and the down pipes were not included or so they said. Since they fixed it and didn’t charge me other than the deductible is didn’t really look into the actual warranty.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No CPO coverage here either. Car was bought out of state and brought to local dealer showing vibrations at 1k & 3k with TSB in hand. Local dealer updated engine mount programming and said it was tires. Went to larger dealer last week, Service Advisor immediately could feel it sitting still. Came out an hour later with reams of paper showing that down pipes were not on CPO coverage. Back and forth and they said that with no history with them or Audi, Audi would only agree to cover half. Would have liked to gone back to original dealer but at 4 hours away and every time I've dealt with them a pain; half seem better than inflicting more pain.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that is the one benefit of getting service done at the dealer. A little history and they provided some good faith value. They might have gotten the same offer from AUDI but the dealer just told me they worked it our to cover it.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default vibration issues

Originally Posted by snowsnob
Meant to ask for few months now... Any owners with 3.0 engine experience the same issue? I have only 36k miles on 2014 A8 and it does exactly the same thing but around 1300 and 2500RPM.
Looks like TSB only for 4.0 motor??
Thanks
To the best of my knowledge there are two factors in the vibration issue.The one most likely to be the culprit is the OEM downpipe. Apparently it is unbalanced and the rpms in the the two zones (1k/3k) cause it to vibrate. The fix that audi provides is a new DP that is properly balanced but I have heard that some have been fixed by simply reconnecting the existing pipe at a slightly diff angle..causing it to have the proper balance.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by @udi@6
To the best of my knowledge there are two factors in the vibration issue.The one most likely to be the culprit is the OEM downpipe. Apparently it is unbalanced and the rpms in the the two zones (1k/3k) cause it to vibrate. The fix that audi provides is a new DP that is properly balanced but I have heard that some have been fixed by simply reconnecting the existing pipe at a slightly diff angle..causing it to have the proper balance.
Local dealer said they would try adjusting the angle of the brackets on my 3.0 per TSB but after 2 times it's still there. Once again life got busy and I didn't have a chance to follow up with them since.
Both times service was free, they provided loaner and I would imagine they spent at least 1hour on my car. Waste?? Or??
Old 02-05-2020, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default !k and 3k vibration issued solved...finally

2016 A8L 4.0T vibration at 1k and 3k was annoying and caused me concern that it might be a transmission shudder since the downshifts occur around 1k when I have backed off the petal. Had the fluid flushed but no help. Bought the redesigned downpipes and the vibration is gone. The redesigned pipe have a large rubber damper affixed to the pipe. The damper does not rub against the chassis...just sits there but it cured the vibrations.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Add another year on to the list. I just purchased a 2016 and have the same problem.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2016 as well. The 1k and 3k rpms are very obvious and very repeatable at any speed and any gear and sitting still at neutral and revving to 3000 rpm. So here is my question...

I purchased the car pre-owned, non-CPO, but with a few months of warranty left. I took to local dealer after noticing issue and before really getting into this forum. Dealer convinced by to purchase 2 out of 4 tires (immediate red flag rose knowing that they are always telling me to buy 4 at a time for tread wear equality on all wheel drives). I've owned many all wheel drives, Audi and others and dealers and tire shops make a huge deal of this in Michigan. I get the rational but alway wonder if a couple millimeters is really that important when tires can be a few pounds off in pressure, the roads here suck etc. etc. Is my car really going to sense a couple of millimeters?

Anyway, dealer convinced me to replace 2 tires saying they were off by 5mm and by replacing the difference would only be 3 mm and this should go away. Dealer said the vibration is the Quattro kicking in when I accelerate trying to send power to different wheels because it is getting bad info by the difference in tread depth from one bad tire that maybe the previous owner replaced. So I agree and problem is now still there at 1k and 3k

Heres the kicker, after reading the forum and getting all this great education from you all, I call the dealer and explain this down pipe vibration at 3k and 1k. He says, oh yeah, we know about this, but your car is now out of warranty (true, but when I complained it was still in warranty, very low miles and a month short of 4 years). He also says even if it was under warranty, this is not a safety issue so Audi is likely not going to pay for this vibration and he'll see what he can do and work with me on getting a good price. I'm waiting for the call back today.

So, I see this going over this service person's head. Who might on contact at Audi higher up the chain? Has anyone had success in getting something paid for when my complaint was logged prior to warranty and dealer failed to fix issue and actually sold me tires I likely didn't need? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2020, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When test driving my A8 I mentioned the vibration. The salesman said he didn't know what it was but he was sure it would be cover by either 1 year manufactures or CPO I purchased. Sure enough service said it wasn't covered because the exhaust system isn't covered. I reminded everyone of our conversations, the two warrantees and more than likely sales persons E&O Ins and asked them nicely to figure it out and they gladly obliged because as I have found in the past Audi is extraordinarily reputable. The pipes are called Engine down pipes. That says to me it's part of the engine.
Jo
Old 03-23-2020, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The whole fix for my car out of pocket would have been $1100 (which I did not pay for BTW). I purchased the CPO addition warranty ins and had some left on manufactures also. I noticed the vibration on the test drive. The sales dude said they would take care of it. There was definitely something wrong I would be an idiot to buy it that way LIKE HELLO. But, it was Christmas I didn't have time to bother with it and by the time I got to the dealer the manufactures was up and it wasn't covered under the CPO extra. I said listen boys you're working with 2 warrantys, a sales persons E&O ins and I purchased the car a month ago. Figure it out. It's $1100. on a $104K car, do you hear me now. I'm in sales. I will get them to fix your car believe me.

JO

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!