A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 D4 4.2 overheating briefly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 D4 4.2 overheating briefly.

Having an issue with temperature spiking suddenly then returning to normal. It does this intermittently but when I’ve checked the fans, they don’t seem to be blowing excessively hot air from the radiator. I have replaced the thermostat and the problem persists. Could this be the “mapped temperature” or auxiliary water pump I’ve heard about on this model? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 AM
Audi Dr.

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The auxiliary pumps are to get coolant to your transmission and heater core. They typically throw a code and shouldn't impact your normal circulation. How far and how fast are you seeing this temp fluctuation? Sounds like your temp sensor.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hellride
The auxiliary pumps are to get coolant to your transmission and heater core. They typically throw a code and shouldn't impact your normal circulation. How far and how fast are you seeing this temp fluctuation? Sounds like your temp sensor.
Happens at all speeds. Will go from normal to pegged in about 2-3 seconds, stays for around 4-5 seconds, then back to normal in 2-3 seconds. Seems to do it more after I’ve gotten into the throttle.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Symptoms you describe sounds like either clogged radiator, sticking thermostat, or sensor related. I would suggest to review all those again, even the thermostat you just replaced.

Also, is anything showing up when you do a VCDS scan?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Does it do this when idling? Can you use an IR thermometer to corroborate the temperature being reported is the actual temperature of the coolant, or at least close to it? That should help rule out a sensor issue pretty quickly?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m gonna pull codes when I get home. I saw one before about an intermittent open circuit on something on the cooling system but before I could write it down I messed up and deleted it.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone
Does it do this when idling? Can you use an IR thermometer to corroborate the temperature being reported is the actual temperature of the coolant, or at least close to it? That should help rule out a sensor issue pretty quickly?
Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s idling or driving down the highway at 80. Only difference is it doesn’t drop the temperature back down nearly as quick at idle.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the plug that connects to the thermostat for temperature readings or is it to control the thermostat?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the thermostat flow control is all mechanical. Looking at Erwin, the thermostat (F265) is connected to ECM (J623). I think the plug sends temperature data to the engine ECM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperDave69
Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s idling or driving down the highway at 80. Only difference is it doesn’t drop the temperature back down nearly as quick at idle.
Well that's good, I was worried it would only show when moving, and it is kind of hard to shoot an thermometer under the hood when hurtling down the interstate ☺

Quick Reply: A8 D4 4.2 overheating briefly.